Team V Oxford | Page 6 | Vital Football

Team V Oxford

From the Oxford forum

gubbed by a mediocre mid table side

hard to argue with that 😂

Point of order. Gubbed by a mediocre Top 4 side 👍😂

As said above, should probably have finished 4-6 or similar. But nice to see that we have strikers that can create and take chances.

Play that same game last season and we lose 0-1 and are thankful we didn’t lose 0-4.

Pity Dom Samuel didn’t bury one of his 2 late chances. But I think 4-1 really would have been taking the p!ss 😁

I'm normally very quick to slag off teams who try and pass the ball around at this level but are totally ineffective (Blackpool) but Oxford were very good. Best team I've seen in L1, going forward, for a while.

Having said that - we took most of our chances, threw our bodies in front of everything and tried to remain as organised as possible.

Oxford will inevitably cry about how they deserved to win but they've only got themselves to blame for being totally inept at finishing. A team of Hanlans.

Great work from the boys. I'm beginning to really like this squad.

Someone mentioned we’d be up to 4th with a win until the others kick off.

By my reckoning we’ll still be 4th tonight. The only teams that can overtake us are Donny and Sunderland. They both aren’t playing.

UTFG! 👍

Goals win games. Oxford did look a really good side though but if you don't score it counts for nothing.

Nice football from Gills at times especially for Grahams very calmly finished goal.

What a difference he makes .We will be stronger with Dempsey back as well.

A good season ahead. Just a shame we wont see it live.

they've only got themselves to blame for being totally inept at finishing. A team of Hanlans.

Great work from the boys. I'm beginning to really like this squad.

“A team of Hanlans”. Brilliant 😁

Agree they were exceptional all over the pitch imho. For the middle part of the game it looked like a L2 team playing a Championship team.

But, football is about putting the ball in the net. And for the first time in a fair few seasons (Tom Eaves apart) we look like we will create and take chances.

And we are getting points whilst without arguably 3 of our best players in O’Keefe, Dempsey and O’Connor.

Oxford had some efforts , had majority of possession but how did they
have no players booked, pleased we won .
tell you a funny story I do suffer with Mild (3) Alzheimers so this morning I booked the game on iplayer then around midday I found myself in my car thinking there’s not much traffic about, I was at the ground, but luckily I realised went back home in time for game, starting to think my kids are right, I should sell car, and I was in my slippers.

Enjoyed the goals. Well sort of:
1st - yup
2nd - screen was buffering, so missed
3rd (Oxford's) - no picture on iFollow
4th - Having a tom tit, so missed.

Still a happy bunny though :utv:

Do yourself a favour Rotherhithe, and find replays of our 2nd and 3rd. Quality goals right there 👍

Oh, and next time we need a goal, do us all a favour and go for another Tom tit. Good lad.

Oxford had some efforts , had majority of possession but how did they
have no players booked, pleased we won .
tell you a funny story I do suffer with Mild (3) Alzheimers so this morning I booked the game on iplayer then around midday I found myself in my car thinking there’s much traffic about, I was at the ground, but luckily I realised went back home in time for game, starting to think my kids are right, I should sell car, and I was in my slippers.

Take good care of yourself Sunny. Sounds like you have good kids 👍

Great result against a very good footballing side. Lots of good performances but Medley beginning to look comfortable at this level
Hilarious that we won 3 1. Terrible finishing by Oxford. Class move by us for the 3rd. Graham = class.
31 shots by Oxford.

I don't think it was hilarious. I thought it was a deserved win against a good tidy team. Oxford may have had more possession and shots, but I'd say we created just as many genuine goal scoring chances and their keeper pulled off at least two belting saves - especially the ones from Samuel and Eccles - Bonham was tidy, but I'm struggling to recall him making anything other than routine saves. I also thought the ref gave every 50/50 their way and can't believe that we had two players booked and them none.

We've certainly found a way to play in this division and have a canny manager. We generally look comfortable without the ball and have excellent players going forward - Graham and Samuel for me would get in to most teams in this division and Oliver is looking an inspired signing from nowhere really. Last week, we looked like we were physically outmuscled in midfield and SE pulled a masterstroke by employing young Drysdale there, who impressed today again, and this seems to have freed Mellis up, who had his best game today and looked much more composed and dangerous going forward. The defence is admittedly shaky, with young Tucker and Medley often showing some in experience and doing some silly things, but we seem to be getting away with it so far.

Onward and upwards!

Well done Gills, read a report from the Oxford Mail who said Oxford were complaining about having to change in "makeshift conditions under the main stand" anyone shed any light on this?

their keeper pulled off at least two belting saves - especially the ones from Samuel and Eccles - Bonham was tidy, but I'm struggling to recall him making anything other than routine saves.

You're right to a certain extent, in that Bonham didn't have that many difficult saves to make (although there were a couple of decent ones in the first half). However, I think that was at least in part due to Oxford failing to even hit the target with a few absolute sitters.

The only negatives for me, and they're all churlish, are iFollow crashing after half-time, the annoying fake crowd noises and the players still acting like sheep and continuing the tired and meaningless virtue signalling knee bend gesture. In respect of the latter, I genuinely would be interested to see if they continue to do this when crowds are in and what reaction they'd get from said crowds...

I don't think it was hilarious. I thought it was a deserved win against a good tidy team. Oxford may have had more possession and shots, but I'd say we created just as many genuine goal scoring chances and their keeper pulled off at least two belting saves - especially the ones from Samuel and Eccles - Bonham was tidy, but I'm struggling to recall him making anything other than routine saves. I also thought the ref gave every 50/50 their way and can't believe that we had two players booked and them none.

We've certainly found a way to play in this division and have a canny manager. We generally look comfortable without the ball and have excellent players going forward - Graham and Samuel for me would get in to most teams in this division and Oliver is looking an inspired signing from nowhere really. Last week, we looked like we were physically outmuscled in midfield and SE pulled a masterstroke by employing young Drysdale there, who impressed today again, and this seems to have freed Mellis up, who had his best game today and looked much more composed and dangerous going forward. The defence is admittedly shaky, with young Tucker and Medley often showing some in experience and doing some silly things, but we seem to be getting away with it so far.

Onward and upwards!
Is that a parody? (first couple of sentences). Rest of analysis pretty good as usual.

Oxford's finishing was woeful. I reckon if my son and I had played up front for Oxford we would have at least tested Bonham more. Oxford can blame their forward line for not winning this game which could have finished about 5 8.

Excellent play for our goals. Need shoring up our midfield and opponents left unmarked far too often in our penalty area.

Absolutely not complaining. Delighted with our progress.

UTG

Last edited: