Leicester v Aston Villa - 7.15 pm Sunday 18th October | Vital Football

Leicester v Aston Villa - 7.15 pm Sunday 18th October

Melon Donkey

I am a little bit perplexed
Anyone else still having trouble taking it all in? Probably our finest result for a long long time.

(Started to reply to this in the Liverpool thread but better to crack on (and move on) to the next game and get the match thread up and running)

Nope. Brilliant as it was. It’s 3 still only points. Time to move on.
On to the next now. Leicester away. Difficult game. The eyes of the premier league will be on us for this game now. Cannot be complacent and dine out on the Liverpool match. C’mon lads, don’t let people throw the flash in the pan at us!. In a way one of the most important games for us under Smith. How will we react to this situation?. Damn the international break. Could have really done without it after the events of Sunday.

They’ve been our bogey team since? Well a long time now, a point will be a good result, I’ll be happy with that.

Ndidi is still out for them which is huge, especially with the form Grealish, McGinn and Barkley are in.

Maddison will probably be back and Vardy is always a threat, but they're on the back of a terrible defeat to West Ham. They'll be nervy at the back in that quiet stadium and we have to come out of the blocks early, like we did on Sunday, and attack. It'll be a test for Konsa and Mings against Vardy, but no Perreira at right back for them will help. Targett will have an easier game against Justin and whoever they plan to play at right wing.

I'm seeing Sunday as a statement and after watching the performances of other teams in the league so far, only Everton have impressed me as much as Villa. Let's go out and win this and see how high we can be sitting at Christmas.

Leicester will try to do to us what we did to Liverpool. (and what they did to us pre-lockdown).

Absolutely vital to keep the defence compact and deep and not allow Vardy any space in behind.

Get that right, and at the other end we'll cause them a fair few problems I'm sure.

Play as we did against Liverpool and we have a chance. No messing about playing from the back. No space for Vardy over the top and we will be ok. Easier said than done though as we are playing the same style of football to them. Watkins is our Vardy.
We have one thing no other club in the PL has Jack Grealish lets pray all out players come back fit from the international.

It would be hard to justify changing the side and the only possible change would be Bert for Trez. Which will eventually happen, it's a question of when.

I'll have to judge after our boys come back, hopefully not picking up any injuries or Covid, with all staying fit then I'd fancy us for this game, we fear no one, there's no crowd, no noise it's just about who wants it more.

So far we look the far hungrier team but like Jack said this International break has came at a bad time, but let's hope if anything our players come back buzzing.

I agree with those a bit nervous about how many of our players return free of injury and symptoms. Douglas Luis and Martínez are away in South America and COVID is rife there. Our players away with England, Scotland and Ireland are mixing with players from clubs that have COVID cases. And that’s before we start picking up injuries.
Fingers crossed.

(Started to reply to this in the Liverpool thread but better to crack on (and move on) to the next game and get the match thread up and running)

Nope. Brilliant as it was. It’s 3 still only points. Time to move on.
On to the next now. Leicester away. Difficult game. The eyes of the premier league will be on us for this game now. Cannot be complacent and dine out on the Liverpool match. C’mon lads, don’t let people throw the flash in the pan at us!. In a way one of the most important games for us under Smith. How will we react to this situation?. Damn the international break. Could have really done without it after the events of Sunday.

I think I'm the only person who thinks the international break is a great thing (Covid/injury risks apart).

This gives us time for the team to come off the buzz that may have led to a Leicester v West Ham type fall to Earth. To process it - for Dean Smith to bring them back into focus - basically to sober up.

Will we win - love to - but a good performance and momentum is the minimum hope.

Maddison will probably be back and Vardy is always a threat, but they're on the back of a terrible defeat to West Ham. They'll be nervy at the back in that quiet stadium and we have to come out of the blocks early, like we did on Sunday, and attack. It'll be a test for Konsa and Mings against Vardy, but no Perreira at right back for them will help. Targett will have an easier game against Justin and whoever they plan to play at right wing.

I think the new guy Castagne has been playing right back and he's looked very good when I've seen him. Hopefully Jack will keep him too busy at the other end, so he cant trouble Targett too much.

I could see us attempting to replicate what West Ham did just as we replicated a better version of what Leeds did vs. Liverpool.

I've watched West Ham play a few times and they basically sit so deep you can't play in behind them. That meant Vardy was virtually useless to Leceister for large parts of the fame. Rice has been pretty magnificent at stopping teams from playing in front of them as well. Once they win it back they ping it into space for Antonio, he has run Wolves, and now Leceister ragged. I could see Watkins also give Soyuncu a torrid time.

Leceister are another team that can be beaten by how we play which is direct. Get it forward quickly and bypass as much of their midfield line as possible.

I think the new guy Castagne has been playing right back and he's looked very good when I've seen him. Hopefully Jack will keep him too busy at the other end, so he cant trouble Targett too much.
Ah sorry I thought Casagne was a left back. Apologies!

After the amazing win on Sunday, I will be fully expecting a big crash down to earth, if only because I've been a Villa fan for 30 odd years.

It would be great to go and out and play like we did against Liverpool, but that would require Leicester playing a kamikaze high line, and I doubt they'll be doing that after seeing us Sunday.

We should still have more than enough to cause them all sorts of problems though, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the Grealish/Barkley combo again.

After the amazing win on Sunday, I will be fully expecting a big crash down to earth, if only because I've been a Villa fan for 30 odd years.

It would be great to go and out and play like we did against Liverpool, but that would require Leicester playing a kamikaze high line, and I doubt they'll be doing that after seeing us Sunday.

We should still have more than enough to cause them all sorts of problems though, and I'm really looking forward to seeing the Grealish/Barkley combo again.

I think we have the team to play different styles.
Yep their defence will sit deeper - giving Jack/Roscoe and SJM room to inter-pass and feed in Ollie.

We have 10 outfield players who can all score!
If this comes off what an exciting time to be a villa fan.