Match thread V Blackpool | Page 5 | Vital Football

Match thread V Blackpool

Most positive post from you Chris in ages. Long may it continue.
In my book it was the most positive performance for a long time .Blackpool had almost all the meaningful possession. But we stole the game .Oliver had the reputation at the cobblers for creating chances and winning the ball .Graham has had better games this season but that is probably a good thing as this attack has more possibilities than it showed today.Bonham had his best game for a while .I can't help feeling that the injury and young Walsh's performance might have made a bit of a difference. After all we can probably assume that he only has 40ish more games on his contract and unlike outfield players once you lose that number one shirt it is often for a long time.There is no doubt that a confident keeper will help the young centre backs.

I thought that was a good display and fairly easy win today against a tidy but toothless Blackpool. Blackpool kept position well, but largely in safe areas for us and didn't do a lot in the final quarter, bar the last 10 when they pushed a few more forward and we sat back. I'd be frustrated if I were a Blackpool fan as they got into some good areas, but their default seemed to be to try to play an extra pass rather than get the key cross, shot or killer pass in. Bonham only had a couple of half decent saves to make, which was fortunate as he spilled a couple, which maybe down to him not being 100% fit?

We've found a good way of playing that works for us. We don't need the ball - it's about what we do when we've got the ball. Our defence is now looking sounds as is the centre mid and we have great options going forward with pace and strength in Graham, Samuel, Mellis and Oliver, with Akinde and Coyle waiting in the wings. Samuel showed his class in just 90 minutes whilst not 100% match fit. His second goal was sublime and his general link up play and commonsense was spot on. He adds some valuable experience to a young team and is physically bigger and stronger now that during his first spell with us. Oliver is looking like the target man we crave and it was noticable that Akinde offered more than previously when he came on - the competition between them will be health. Graham had a quieter day today, but still showed his class on the ball - he looks a good option on the left as can come in on his stronger right foot, Matty Jarvis style, but his left foot is good enough for him to go outside the right back and get decent crosses in. Young Robertson and Eccles look classy and composed - could probably do with a more experienced head next to them, which will come when Dempsey is back.

All in, lots of positives.
Very good assessment.

I noticed it a lot last year where there are a lot of teams who try to pass the ball a lot but lack any real bite. Evans is smart enough not to get into that game and sets the team up properly to steal the ball back when the opposition get bored of passing it sideways. After that it's a case of having the players to move the ball quickly forward to attack them. Once the attack breaks down then get organised again and repeat the process ad infinitum.

Great work SE and team.

Is there a possibility that Evans could have told Bonham that if he needed another keeper he would bring in a number one not a reserve?I would guess that Evans is not afraid of using mind games to get performances. Bonham is certainly someone we need on top form this season especially now there is a injury crisis in midfield. Seriously denting the budget.

Pleased to read all the reviews/assessments/comments from today. Keep them coming. Couldn’t watch due to hosting company, however I had the audio on and dived out to the kitchen periodically to check up on progress.

Just popped on Bristol rovers forum for a look - well worth it if anyone has a spare 10 minutes! Apparently they’ve only won twice since xmas. Hanlon works hard, should improve, but his first touch can be wayward.......... and they’re rock bottom.

Just a word on Peter Parka, whilst he can be a little dour and does big the opposition up too much, I like listening to him. There is something strangely comforting about his dulcet tones. He must’ve been co-commentating for over 20 years now.

UTG

We were comfortable. Blackpool played some nice stuff and had all the % but as others have said offered very little going forward. Graham, Oliver and Samuel showed some lovely link up play, especially in the first half but personally thought Graham was a little bit wasted on the left hand side though. Having to cut back onto his right or deliver crosses with his left that weren't as effective as when he's playing from the right. Oliver is a real handful and would like to see us maybe try him and Samuel upfront as a pair with Coyle and Graham on the left and right respectively at some point.

Samuel showed exactly what we've been missing. Poacher's instinct for his first and a clinical precise finish for his second. I like the fact that as soon as he got the ball he only had one thing in his mind and headed directly at goal. Looks like he could be one of the top strikers in the division already. Robertson and Eccles looked very good in the middle, especially considering their ages. Energetic, combative, snapping at heels. Robertson's naivety means he tends to overplay a little bit at times but that will come with experience. Medley was a strong physical presence at the back, one concern is he looks a little shaky on the ball at times, while the other 3 all had typically good games. Would have liked to have seen a bit more of Mellis who I think let the game pass him by and was outclassed by the two youngsters alongside him.

I thought that was a very positive performance from us, Samuel looked good along with Bid Vid, not sure there were any bad performances.
If teams are playing possession stuff against us trying to set traps think again our managerial team are experienced and won’t fall for that

Hmm. The interviewer said the Gills players took it in turns to go don't and break up play. Is that fair? I noticed Robertson drew a few fouls and my son commented how stop start it was. Part of SE game plan?

Hmm. The interviewer said the Gills players took it in turns to go don't and break up play. Is that fair? I noticed Robertson drew a few fouls and my son commented how stop start it was. Part of SE game plan?
I watched the second half with the Blackpool commentary and to be fair they did mention that we took every opportunity to break up play and not allow them to gain momentum. To be fair slight criticism but not used as the reason they last the game.

Madrid-Gill - thanks for the comment about the time line, I watched the whole game about 90 seconds behind the real thing. Fist I knew was when ChippyGill rang up giving 2.0 to the Gillingham, about 90 seconds later I see us score. Secondly, the wife comes in and say "I see we won 2-0", I was still watching the game "live". F****** technology, at least I will know about in next time :clown:

Even if you're watching the iFollow stream in "real time", it's still about a minute or so behind real life. During the game I normally have a live scores site open so I can see any goals being scored elsewhere in our division, it "pings" every time there's a goal. Quite a few times I've heard a ping, gone to see who's scored and found out it's a goal in our game which I'll then see played out on the screen about 30 seconds later.

Pleased to read all the reviews/assessments/comments from today. Keep them coming. Couldn’t watch due to hosting company, however I had the audio on and dived out to the kitchen periodically to check up on progress.

Just popped on Bristol rovers forum for a look - well worth it if anyone has a spare 10 minutes! Apparently they’ve only won twice since xmas. Hanlon works hard, should improve, but his first touch can be wayward.......... and they’re rock bottom.

Just a word on Peter Parka, whilst he can be a little dour and does big the opposition up too much, I like listening to him. There is something strangely comforting about his dulcet tones. He must’ve been co-commentating for over 20 years now.

UTG
We all know he is Gills through and through but today I honestly had enough of the negativity of the age of the team, inexperience and lack of quality is how it came across to me. I transferred over to the Blackpool commentary expecting the worst but found them to be complementary of how we played even complementing Akinde before he even came on the pitch.
i am not asking for a biased view on us but some positives would be nice

Even if you're watching the iFollow stream in "real time", it's still about a minute or so behind real life. During the game I normally have a live scores site open so I can see any goals being scored elsewhere in our division, it "pings" every time there's a goal. Quite a few times I've heard a ping, gone to see who's scored and found out it's a goal in our game which I'll then see played out on the screen about 30 seconds later.

last season I came on here and celebrated a goal, but we’d already conceded another. Nobs told me to check if I was live. I wasn’t.

last season I came on here and celebrated a goal, but we’d already conceded another. Nobs told me to check if I was live. I wasn’t.

I think things have improved with ifollow.
It wasn't that long ago , 2 or 3 years maybe , that a goal would be announced of BBC final score programme before we would see it on our digital device. That's not happening anymore , so like I said things are changing.

We all know he is Gills through and through but today I honestly had enough of the negativity of the age of the team, inexperience and lack of quality is how it came across to me. I transferred over to the Blackpool commentary expecting the worst but found them to be complementary of how we played even complementing Akinde before he even came on the pitch.
i am not asking for a biased view on us but some positives would be nice

How do you transfer over to the opposition's commentary if you watching on gills ifollow?

Blackpool gave away a foul every four minutes on average.

And they fouled cynically around the halfway line every time a breakaway looked on. Let's be honest Man City play like that and they break uop play too but no one comments because of the sublime moments they produce.