Match thread V Blackpool | Page 4 | Vital Football

Match thread V Blackpool

Madrid-Gill - thanks for the comment about the time line, I watched the whole game about 90 seconds behind the real thing. Fist I knew was when ChippyGill rang up giving 2.0 to the Gillingham, about 90 seconds later I see us score. Secondly, the wife comes in and say "I see we won 2-0", I was still watching the game "live". F****** technology, at least I will know about in next time :clown:

Rovers tearing up the division I see. Ehmer booked and let in 4. Hanlon not scoring as usual. His replacement took 3 minutes to score for us.

Oh dear, shame, I thought the Man City of the West Country were going to tear up the division with their multi million pound squad. Little old Gillingham with our ramshackle stadium and without a pot to piss, the very antithesis of the mighty Pirates, aren’t looking too bad!

Workman like performances amazing what a difference a goal scorer makes. Mention for Samuel and Oliver combined well.Could be a good a useful partnership in the making. Clean sheet for the back line which will add to confidence of the younger players.Well done lads and congratulations to Evans on his 50th game.

Great three points (not least as I had it on my three team accumulator - kerching).

Direct but effective is a good way to describe us. Blackpool certainly passed it nicely and had lots of possession but it is still goals that count.

Great debut from Samuel, Oliver really does win a high percentage of balls and Ovilgie as solid as ever.

Eccles and Robertson are fine in the middle.

We look good this year which makes our absence from the stadium even worse. Thank god for iFollow.

All sounds very encouraging. All I could think of though is how sorry I felt for Samuel. Imagine scoring two in your debut at home and you can't drink in the adulation from the fans?
I know people will point out that he's still getting paid etc but the first reason for taking up sport must be the glory?
Hopefully we'll be able to go and watch him score his hat trick in the play off final. Wow, imagine that, being the man to score the first ever Gillingham hat trick 😳

All sounds very encouraging. All I could think of though is how sorry I felt for Samuel. Imagine scoring two in your debut at home and you can't drink in the adulation from the fans?
I know people will point out that he's still getting paid etc but the first reason for taking up sport must be the glory?
Hopefully we'll be able to go and watch him score his hat trick in the play off final. Wow, imagine that, being the man to score the first ever Gillingham hat trick 😳

I'm putting a tenner on that, think of the odds. Heck I'll gamble on a hat trick of penalties; no one's ever done that!

I like others am getting tired of the Gills commentators...banging on about how much possession Blackpool have had...well they've hardly done anything with it have they lads 🤷🏻‍♂️

The comms are very much glass half empty merchants and seem to want to play down our qualities and expectations and trump up any other team - a bit like some on here actually! Lloydie in the Cov League Cup game, impressed with Oliver's fine physical target man performance, put it down to Coventry not being used to playing against such player with their lofty Championship status. Obviously, having played one Championship game in a decade, they'd have never played against a physical forward before, would they? Against Stoke, you'd have thought they were Man City, had you listened to Lloyd and today, Lloydie and the other comm ("right hand side" as I like to call him) were banging on endlessly about Blackpool's possession, but omitted to mention they created absolutely didly squat and looked nothing like scoring until the last 10 when they finally threw men forward and we sat back. It's funny as if ever I hear other teams' comms, they seem to be ultra biased for their team, whereas ours seem to downplay us.

Workman like performances amazing what a difference a goal scorer makes. Mention for Samuel and Oliver combined well.Could be a good a useful partnership in the making. Clean sheet for the back line which will add to confidence of the younger players.Well done lads and congratulations to Evans on his 50th game.

Most positive post from you Chris in ages. Long may it continue.

I thought that was a good display and fairly easy win today against a tidy but toothless Blackpool. Blackpool kept position well, but largely in safe areas for us and didn't do a lot in the final quarter, bar the last 10 when they pushed a few more forward and we sat back. I'd be frustrated if I were a Blackpool fan as they got into some good areas, but their default seemed to be to try to play an extra pass rather than get the key cross, shot or killer pass in. Bonham only had a couple of half decent saves to make, which was fortunate as he spilled a couple, which maybe down to him not being 100% fit?

We've found a good way of playing that works for us. We don't need the ball - it's about what we do when we've got the ball. Our defence is now looking sounds as is the centre mid and we have great options going forward with pace and strength in Graham, Samuel, Mellis and Oliver, with Akinde and Coyle waiting in the wings. Samuel showed his class in just 90 minutes whilst not 100% match fit. His second goal was sublime and his general link up play and commonsense was spot on. He adds some valuable experience to a young team and is physically bigger and stronger now that during his first spell with us. Oliver is looking like the target man we crave and it was noticable that Akinde offered more than previously when he came on - the competition between them will be health. Graham had a quieter day today, but still showed his class on the ball - he looks a good option on the left as can come in on his stronger right foot, Matty Jarvis style, but his left foot is good enough for him to go outside the right back and get decent crosses in. Young Robertson and Eccles look classy and composed - could probably do with a more experienced head next to them, which will come when Dempsey is back.

All in, lots of positives.