Covid at GTFC | Page 2 | Vital Football

Covid at GTFC

Posh had a positive case and a total of four had to isolate but they still played, i think it relates to the 1st game of the season so its not just a premiershit thing.

Stevenage have a positive but seem to be playing tomorrow? Guessing the opposition club has a big say in what happens.

They're PL and 💰💰💰 means different rules, double standards of the highest order
However, apparently they are embracing the work from home ethos as Moyes will be calling the shots from his sofa!
You would imagine the amount of testing gives much more assurance about the situation at West Ham than at Grimsby.

If the 2nd wave really takes off you can see football grinding to a halt unfortunately until a vaccine is found you do wonder about the future for sport.

Stevenage have a positive but seem to be playing tomorrow? Guessing the opposition club has a big say in what happens.

Bradford have posted an official statement saying..
"The Bantams' director of communications and commercial, Ryan Sparks, said: "We are hugely disappointed by the manner in which Stevenage and Grimsby Town have chosen to outline their positions this evening, without consulting us."

Am I just being a bit naive or can't we just take our time over completing fixtures over a longer period of time? Say end of June or July instead of May.
If we are all uncertain to when the infection rates are going to be low enough that some sort of semblance of normality resumes, why are we desperate to cram in all the fixtures (Saturday /Tuesday /Saturday /Tuesday) when the incubation period for the virus is five days? Surely the way the current schedule is designed (or fell upon more like it) means that teams could catch covid from another team on Saturday, then pass it on to their next opposition on the Tuesday before anyone knows about it or is showing any kind of symptoms.
I know that possible player contacts would have to be extended, but I am sure that would be more sensible than putting everyone at risk while we wait for this virus to be under control. Rushing to complete a task means mistakes are inevitably made. This is being shown with the positive tests that are now turning up.
The nature of this virus is that it is really easy to pass on without knowing you have it and requires everyone to keep up their guard. This means that all it takes is one person to not bother, or forget about keeping to the guidelines to infect all their teammates.
You will not catch the virus from someone if you keep you distance from them and clean all surfaces that they have touched. This is not possible for a contact sport for training purposes and on match day so slowing it all down seems to me the best solution.
Either that or testing every other day and from a financial perspective that is just not within anyone's capabilities outside of the top flight.
Oh and if sky has a problem with this from a TV contracts point of view, I think we as a country should tell them to fuck off.

Last edited:
Am I just being a bit naive or can't we just take our time over completing fixtures over a longer period of time? Say end of June or July instead of May.
If we are all uncertain to when the infection rates are going to be low enough that some sort of semblance of normality resumes, why are we desperate to cram in all the fixtures (Saturday /Tuesday /Saturday /Tuesday) when the incubation period for the virus is five days? Surely the way the current schedule is designed (or fell upon more like it) means that teams could catch covid from another team on Saturday, then pass it on to their next opposition on the Tuesday before anyone knows about it or is showing any kind of symptoms.
I know that possible player contacts would have to be extended, but I am sure that would be more sensible than putting everyone at risk while we wait for this virus to be under control. Rushing to complete a task means mistakes are inevitably made. This is being shown with the positive tests that are now turning up.
The nature of this virus is that it is really easy to pass on without knowing you have it and requires everyone to keep up their guard. This means that all it takes is one person to not bother, or forget about keeping to the guidelines to infect all their teammates.
You will not catch the virus from someone if you keep you distance from them and clean all surfaces that they have touched. This is not possible for a contact sport for training purposes and on match day so slowing it all down seems to me the best solution.
Either that or testing every other day and from a financial perspective that is just not within anyone's capabilities outside of the top flight.
Oh and if sky has a problem with this from a TV contracts point of view, I think we as a country should tell them to fuck off.
i agree, the season is being treated as all other seasons... fit 46 games and three cups into 9 or 10 months. but this is not a normal time. what would be the problem with making the 'season' last for as long as it takes - 2 years maybe, instead of 1.

Whatever happens within football, you can guarantee it will be geared to preserving the premiership and the media coverage (TV fest) that goes with it.
As we witnessed with Liverpool the other day, the gulf in resources is staggering.
It will be interesting if one of the 'big clubs' had most of their first team test positive (not that I'd wish it on anyone). Wonder how the PL would get around that.

Couldn't agree more with the bit in bold!