vs Coventry | Page 4 | Vital Football

vs Coventry

Highlights now up on YouTube, and extended highlights on iFollow.

Quite concerning just how easily our defence is being split by through balls - I noticed it in one of our other games, can't remember now whether it was Hull or Crawley, and it was the same again last night. In the YouTube highlights video, the first two incidents shown are through balls (one played along the ground from their own half) leading to 1-on-1s with Bonham, we were lucky to get away with them both.

Highlights now up on YouTube, and extended highlights on iFollow.

Quite concerning just how easily our defence is being split by through balls - I noticed it in one of our other games, can't remember now whether it was Hull or Crawley, and it was the same again last night. In the YouTube highlights video, the first two incidents shown are through balls (one played along the ground from their own half) leading to 1-on-1s with Bonham, we were lucky to get away with them both.
It’s worse looking on the replay than I thought live.
A very simple ball along the ground splitting the centre backs like that needs addressing.
This was the first time of a Maghoma and Tucker pairing I think.
It needs work, but the more they train and play together, it should hopefully be resolved.
One of them has to take control and be the dominant partner.
Saturday will probably see Medley back in .

Dont forget it was the Club's choice to get rid of Fuller, Ehmer (and Byrne) - all sound committed Lge1 experienced players; a bit late to see their value - they were the glue in the defence - Tucker and Ogilvie were continually overrated by SE and many on here, which we see now;
But I agree that if these 2 are the favoured players they must play together as centre-backs , so we definitely need a proper left back as Jackson is fine on the right; is Chicksen still around ?
Nonsense.

Fuller too old, slow and expensive.
Byrne too injured and expensive.
Ogilvie is the best defender in L1 by a mile.
Tucker is very good.

We’re probably missing the continuity and experience of Ehmer, but apart from that everything you say is ridiculous.

The Chicksen comment just exposes you as a WUM.

Was gonna do the same until some clown put up a thread titled “ Never in doubt” 🤦‍♂️

Spoiler alert please guys FFS!

A wins a win. Can’t remember the last time my team won a pen shoot out.

Haven’t seen the pen, but young Coyle sticking away the winner. Good composure for an 18yo. And nice to hear the comments about Robertson.

What’s happened to O’Keefe?
And why will we need a new captain for Saturday? Is Dempsey going to miss that one?
The game was over OSK ! Weren’t you watching down under ??!

I take other posters misgivings about our defence on trust because I haven't seen any footage yet. I do still hold on to the positive thought that the result, regardless of how it was achieved, was very positive. It's easy to imagine the lift it has given the entire squad and I hope that, together with the injuries and the ambition of younger players, will begin to create a new team spirit.

I soooo wanted to wake up at 2.30 am. Watch till 5am. Catch another hour of kip then go to work. But somehow.... 🤷‍♂️

Plastic, I know.
You could have avoided going on this board and twitter etc to avoid the result, then watched a full replay of the match on iFollow when you got home from work, so yep plastic! :sneaky:

Don’t you rate Ogilvie?
I think he’s been outstanding so far and outstanding last season.
I think the last thing we need is another left back Chris.
The one we have is excellent.
Ogilvie is our best defender and I agree with another poster we need to be playing him alongside Tucker in the centre of defence.

Last edited:
OSK is a Likely Lad trying to avoid a result before watching highlights.

I have sympathy for OSK. I tend to try and avoid hearing the premier league results if I intend to watch Match of the Day in the evening. Admittedly while annoying the occasions the results are read out by the tanoy at the end of the occasional Gills match, I suppose I have less emotional attachment to the Premier League.

I have sympathy for OSK. I tend to try and avoid hearing the premier league results if I intend to watch Match of the Day in the evening. Admittedly while annoying the occasions the results are read out by the tanoy at the end of the occasional Gills match, I suppose I have less emotional attachment to the Premier League.

Truth be told, whenever the Gills have played an overnight match that I didn’t see, I’m up with the larks like a kid on Xmas morning checking the scores.

Mainly so that if we’ve done badly I don’t waste the evening watching it back and getting more depressed. Also, if we’ve won I prefer to watch the game with no stress as we cling on to the 1 goal lead and sit deeper and deeper.

Doesn’t happen often. I’ve only had a few iFollow games in the past, and normally I only get them when I can watch. But it will definitely be the strategy this season now I’ve got every game to look forward to 👍