sky sports presenters row - n/g | Page 5 | Vital Football

sky sports presenters row - n/g

Sneaking outside the TV employee debate for a second, it seems to me that, in general, one of the main reasons for employers "relieving employees of their employ" has nothing to do with equalising ethnicity and gender, but everything to do with either re-employing them at a cheaper cost or getting in someone else to do the job at cheaper cost. Basically, cost-cutting, because they can !
Is that because they employ women? 🤣🤣

After doing a bit of research it appears that bbc are the top payers.
Could you share the sources for that please? As far as i know sky and bt pay much more. The likes of richard keys, neville and carragher and the like are/have been on over 2m a year.

Unfortunately its the age old argument of private vs public sector. If you want free to air sports on tv, then the punditry alongside this has to be adequately skilled as well. If you dont pay top whack then it just wont be as good and people will say public channels shouldn't be doing sports.

I long for pundits who will say exactly what they think without worrying about what players/refs/managers think about them. Commentators too - it would be refreshing for a commentator to say, when apparent and deserved, "the ref is having a nightmare game" or similar about a player. And the sycophantic post match interviews make me sick too.

You are confusing general taxation with a specific tax on viewing broadcasts.
So, no it’s not true.
Example. Road fund license. Specifically for driving on the highways.
I don’t own a car, I don’t pay it
Example. BBC license. I don’t watch bbc but still have to pay it to watch commercial channels.
So , it’s quite different.
Then on top of that, they spaff millions up the wall on average talent.

We all pay for roads like it or not. The road lobby pretend that car tax subsidises general taxation but they avoid the accident, pollution, congestion and general health costs. I have an elderly unmarried sister, who often reminds me that she has to pay for education and childrens' services. We all pay for stuff we don't use.

If it comes to spaffing millions on low talent commercial TV is just as good and HM Government even better with the millions in contracts awarded without tender to mates and previous failures.

Back to the original post - I expect the new panel will be less middle aged, white and male. This is in tune with how things are at the moment. Not saying it’s right or wrong, just how it is.

Tbh, I don’t watch soccer Saturday anymore, just catch snips of it now and again. All these things need freshening up occasionally. It’s just unfortunate sky have decided to do it now. With BLM and bame equality issues squarely at the front of everyone’s mind.

Also - Stelling won’t walk away, I’m sure he is far too handsomely paid to even consider it (even more than Lineker). I seem to remember people saying the show wouldn’t survive when they got rid of George Best, Marsh and McClintock. That was years ago now and it carried on and will carry on from this I’m sure.

Back to the original post - I expect the new panel will be less middle aged, white and male. This is in tune with how things are at the moment. Not saying it’s right or wrong, just how it is.
English football crowds are middle aged, white and male, there's no reason why a football panel "banter" show can't reflect that. We'll find out soon enough what the new line up is

The new panel will be interesting. I am not sure why they feel the need to push 3 out at one time, unless...

I suppose keeping Merson will be balanced out by one new pundit from a BAME background, one woman and someone who is gay.

Sky can then worry about the more trivial matter of whether they are knowledgeable and/or entertaining or whether there is any chemistry between them all. It is early days but it is hard to see Micah Richards ticking many of those traditional boxes. Always seems a bit dour to me.

Did anyone watch it? I didn't as I don't have sky, just wondered what the new line up was, and whether it was any good?

Did anyone watch it? I didn't as I don't have sky, just wondered what the new line up was, and whether it was any good?
I watched it briefly, they had Tony Pullis, Tim Sherwood, Clinton Mackenzie and someone else, all rather bland.

I suppose Sky are "updating" or "refreshing" their look to be more up to date. I totally get that and if they are attempting to mirror the country's race and gender demographic, thats fine too, its only right that they try to appeal to all. Only the ratings figures will tell if it was, commercially, the best thing to do.
As alluded to above, the so called "average" football fan is still white, male and somewhere just below middle aged (I'm guessing a bit here based on comments on this board and my own circle of football fan mates) and I do wonder if any will feel that the show no longer fits their needs. Time will tell. Have to say it doesn’t bother me as I never watch it but I think it will bother some enough to turn off.

I suppose Sky are "updating" or "refreshing" their look to be more up to date. I totally get that and if they are attempting to mirror the country's race and gender demographic, thats fine too, its only right that they try to appeal to all. Only the ratings figures will tell if it was, commercially, the best thing to do.
As alluded to above, the so called "average" football fan is still white, male and somewhere just below middle aged (I'm guessing a bit here based on comments on this board and my own circle of football fan mates) and I do wonder if any will feel that the show no longer fits their needs. Time will tell. Have to say it doesn’t bother me as I never watch it but I think it will bother some enough to turn off.

Agree to a certain extent but our perceptions involve people, who actually watch football and always have. Football has been swallowed more and more by TV and covid is accelerating the process. The game belongs to the millions, who never go and it is that demographic the companies are addressing. As you say viewing figures will decide on the succes or otherwise of any changes.

The monster needs ever bigger viewing figures and who knows what they will resort to in the search for new subscribers.

I think Soccer Saturday should get back to the old format asap. Four pundits at one table together watching their different games, pre viewing, discussing them and commenting during the games. Bringing in new ones or not doesn't matter too much as it is about opinions. As we know not everyone shares the same opinion on anything.

Agree to a certain extent but our perceptions involve people, who actually watch football and always have. Football has been swallowed more and more by TV and covid is accelerating the process. The game belongs to the millions, who never go and it is that demographic the companies are addressing. As you say viewing figures will decide on the succes or otherwise of any changes.

The monster needs ever bigger viewing figures and who knows what they will resort to in the search for new subscribers.
Agree that new subscribers are key but I'm wondering if it will be at the cost of some of the "old" ones? If I'm watching a live match, I'm not too bothered who the commentators or pundits are as they are secondary to the action (and there is an increasing number of alternative commentaries you can listen to whilst watching.)
The shows where pundits are purely talking football are slightly different as it's the pundits that make it interesting or entertaining (or not, as the case may be).
This has nothing to do with race/gender/sexuality though. I hate watching anything with Neville or Owen because I find them boring, not because they are male pale and stale. I like listening to Ian Wright, but not because he is black but because he is entertaining.
As I said, I totally understand the need for change as long as it is for the better in terms of quality. The proof of the pudding and all that........

I guess it takes time but Jeff Stelling had a tough afternoon pulling it all together.

Listening to Spurs v Everton on Five Live - there is a co-commentator mangling the English language. Hard to listen to.

SKY haven't decided yet. They are going to try different people over the next few weeks and then make a decision.