sky sports presenters row - n/g | Page 4 | Vital Football

sky sports presenters row - n/g

Oh okay.
I wasn’t even aware that Lineker worked for BT.
So we’ll all agree that a publicly subsidised broadcaster is spending our tax money well by paying a football presenter £1.4 million
Let’s hope that his successor is paid even more eh?

I would like to see a salary cap. If Lineker gets more, Shearer gets less 👍
I think both BBC and BT pay too much. The BBC has to compete and is "lucky" to get Lineker more "cheaply" than their private sector competitor.

Basically I'm tired of the BBC getting slagged off when in fact on this occasion the private sector with whom they compete is even more wasteful.

I think both BBC and BT pay too much. The BBC has to compete and is "lucky" to get Lineker more "cheaply" than their private sector competitor.

Basically I'm tired of the BBC getting slagged off when in fact on this occasion the private sector with whom they compete is even more wasteful.
But the private sector is not financed by a tax.
If it was on an even keel and people had the option, then it would be different.
If I chose to pay the bbc then there would be no complaint because I would not pay it and therefore not contribute to his salary.

People didn't seem to moan about Lineker's MOTD salary until it turned out he disagreed with them about Brexit.

I rarely watch it and think it's probably not necessary to have a high profile, highly paid presenter but I'm sure if they hired someone cheaper people would still be moaning about something.

Lineker has been very vocal with his woke political views , which is not appropriate for someone working for the BBC.
I think you're correct , and his Brexit views have pissed off a lot of normal folk.

Lineker has been very vocal with his woke political views , which is not appropriate for someone working for the BBC.
I think you're correct , and his Brexit views have pissed off a lot of normal folk.
I must admit that this didn’t occur to me but now it’s mentioned, he does make himself look a twat on various subjects.
Brexit was a democratic process. He didn’t think it was the right decision.
Really shows how out of step his now is from his roots and upbringing.

He's not giving these views on Match of the Day or any other BBC platform and he's a sports presenter not a political commentator, why shouldn't he be able to voice his own opinions on twitter or from atop a soapbox in speakers corner should he wish. I suspect your problem is not that he expresses his views but that they happen to be views you don't agree with.

Also, the idea that Brexit supporters are the only "normal folk" and by extension people who don't support it are abnormal and that their views are somehow less valid is ridiculous.

But the private sector is not financed by a tax.
If it was on an even keel and people had the option, then it would be different.
If I chose to pay the bbc then there would be no complaint because I would not pay it and therefore not contribute to his salary.

Oh yes it is from pension guarantees through in work benefits, including housing benefit, advertising and absurdly high executive pay and pay offs. Their foul ups are eventually bailed out by us from failed train and security franchises to environmental disasters. The much vaunted quantative easing is a subsidy to finance and private companies. If they bring the roof down, 2007/8, thet get bailed out and then paid for the privilege.

Oh yes it is from pension guarantees through in work benefits, including housing benefit, advertising and absurdly high executive pay and pay offs. Their foul ups are eventually bailed out by us from failed train and security franchises to environmental disasters. The much vaunted quantative easing is a subsidy to finance and private companies. If they bring the roof down, 2007/8, thet get bailed out and then paid for the privilege.
Wow
That’s a big jump 😂

True though, isn't it.
You are confusing general taxation with a specific tax on viewing broadcasts.
So, no it’s not true.
Example. Road fund license. Specifically for driving on the highways.
I don’t own a car, I don’t pay it
Example. BBC license. I don’t watch bbc but still have to pay it to watch commercial channels.
So , it’s quite different.
Then on top of that, they spaff millions up the wall on average talent.

He's not giving these views on Match of the Day or any other BBC platform and he's a sports presenter not a political commentator, why shouldn't he be able to voice his own opinions on twitter or from atop a soapbox in speakers corner should he wish. I suspect your problem is not that he expresses his views but that they happen to be views you don't agree with.

Also, the idea that Brexit supporters are the only "normal folk" and by extension people who don't support it are abnormal and that their views are somehow less valid is ridiculous.

And I suspect that you were on the losing side , and would naturally empathize with his views. If that's the case here , if you wish to call yourself 'abnormal' , feel free.

So, no it’s not true.
Example. BBC license. I don’t watch bbc but still have to pay it to watch commercial channels.
What was wrong in what Jogills pointed out about the public bailing out private companies?

I didn't choose to bail out these f#ckers. Some people don't use trains but their taxes subsidise them, guaranteeing dividends for the shareholders.

What was wrong in what Jogills pointed out about the public bailing out private companies?

I didn't choose to bail out these f#ckers. Some people don't use trains but their taxes subsidise them, guaranteeing dividends for the shareholders.
You’re clearly confused if you cannot see the difference.
By the way, how are you getting on with the early retirement ?
Bored? Or getting really good at filling your day doing very little like me.
I’m off to tidy the garage shortly 😁

So, no it’s not true.
You do still pay for the upkeep of highways though as it's funded by general taxation. VED receipts aren't ring fenced and just go into the exchequer pot with almost everything else (but not NICs or the TV licence).

Absolutely.
That’s why I’m often confused by some on the left who absolutely condemn high salaries in commerce while simultaneously supporting the likes of Lineker and his bloated salary.
It makes no sense to me.
I don't support his bloated salary. My point was that in that industry the presenters have bloated salaries across the board. Lineker is actually "good value" when you look at what the private sector hand out, including to Lineker himself for less work on BT. Unfortunately they have to compete. If they don't then we have the scenario Paranoid pointed out above.

Btw, John Humphrys got a shockingly inflated salary. I discovered just how dim he was when he made a documentary about his home town shortly after retiring from Radio 4.

You’re clearly confused if you cannot see the difference.
By the way, how are you getting on with the early retirement ?
Bored? Or getting really good at filling your day doing very little like me.
I’m off to tidy the garage shortly 😁
Thanks for asking. Yes, did the garage job a couple of weeks ago for the first time in about 10 years. Like hacking my way through a jungle, infested with insects and ancient rubbish. Took me a day.
As much cricket as possible now we are allowed to play. Local pub cricket on a Sunday and Kent Over 60's during the week.
Slaving after my two kids whose places need doing up.
Like you, managing not to be bored by doing little some days.
Started watching "Alzheimers" TV in the afternoon.

I don't support his bloated salary. My point was that in that industry the presenters have bloated salaries across the board. Lineker is actually "good value" when you look at what the private sector hand out, including to Lineker himself for less work on BT. Unfortunately they have to compete. If they don't then we have the scenario Paranoid pointed out above.

Btw, John Humphrys got a shockingly inflated salary. I discovered just how dim he was when he made a documentary about his home town shortly after retiring from Radio 4.
Fair play if that’s your opinion.
Google BBC salaries and the first page that comes up is ironically the BBC which lists all presenters earning over £150k starting with Lineker who tops the bill at £1.7 million.
If you’re cool with that, then fine.
I’m not.

John Humphrys did a lot more work during the year than Smugface has ever done.

Fair play if that’s your opinion.
Google BBC salaries and the first page that comes up is ironically the BBC which lists all presenters earning over £150k starting with Lineker who tops the bill at £1.7 million.
If you’re cool with that, then fine.
I’m not.
I'm not cool with the bloated salaries. Just object to the BBC being singled out as wasters when their competitors are even worse.