Drill Hall | Vital Football

Drill Hall

Red Wimp

Vital Football Legend
I know many posters live away from Lincoln, but I see tonight the Council have voted to withdraw their funding of the Drill Hall. This will mean it will have to close which I think is a real shame for Lincoln. In it’s current incarnation I’ve attended many different events there from comedy to music, shows to amateur productions so I think is a real sad day for Lincoln

I think this was on the agenda before coronavirus.

We've seen quite a few things there. A sad day for culture in Lincoln but if the people of Lincoln prefer the latest Superhero film to a live play or band, so be it.

We live in a dumbed down culture that voted in an idiot as a Prime Minister and for Brexit.

You get the government and culture you vote for.

And before any dim-witted knob-brain points out it is a Labour council, the Tory austerity from 2010 onwards has imposed 40 - 50% cuts on councils. What do you expect them to do?

If you voted Tory, you voted for this.

Not that I expect any sign of joined-up thinking from thick-as-shit right-wingers. I've certainly seen none on here.

A gift from one of the city's benevolent entrepreneurs.

I went in a few times -
Ideal Home Exhibition
City School Speech days (2)
Wrestling (2-3)

My dad (and others of the firm, owned incidentally by Bob Dorrian's grandad) had the pleasure of painting it inside. He said they "lashed ladders together" to reach the top.

This is a real shame, I've been to a couple of events there. Frustrating that something like this has to lose out, because once it's gone, it's gone.

I went in a few times -
Ideal Home Exhibition
Wrestling (2-3)

My dad (and others of the firm, owned incidentally by Bob Dorrian's grandad) had the pleasure of painting it inside. He said they "lashed ladders together" to reach the top.

Interesting history. What do you think about it closing?

Interesting history. What do you think about it closing?

No thoughts really as it's 55 years since I was there. In an ideal world, everything would be the same as it was when we were 10 years old but that's not the way things go.

I can bemoan the closure of the pubs I used to go in but, again, they can't stay open on the off chance that I will one day return to them. The government I once voted for inserted the final nail in pub's coffins, although the wedge had begun to taper long before that. Pubs have largely been replaced by restaurants that happen to sell beer, in the same premises. In an ideal world, pubs would be the same as when we were 20 years old. Of course, we ourselves have changed in the intervening years and the present circumstances of our lives, so "the same" is now something quite different.

No thoughts really as it's 55 years since I was there. In an ideal world, everything would be the same as it was when we were 10 years old but that's not the way things go.

I can bemoan the closure of the pubs I used to go in but, again, they can't stay open on the off chance that I will one day return to them. The government I once voted for inserted the final nail in pub's coffins, although the wedge had begun to taper long before that. Pubs have largely been replaced by restaurants that happen to sell beer, in the same premises. In an ideal world, pubs would be the same as when we were 20 years old. Of course, we ourselves have changed in the intervening years and the present circumstances of our lives, so "the same" is now something quite different.

I don't think an ideal world is the same as when I was 10. That's an odd notion.

I'm not sure what pubs have to do with the Drill Hall as a community arts venue?

I went in a few times -
Ideal Home Exhibition
Wrestling (2-3)

Yes, I went to the wrestling there two or three times (and the New Market as well), and a couple of dances

It'll be over 50 years since I've been in, and haven't really kept pace with what they do there, other than seeing an odd poster. I suppose it's not in use at the present time (covid), which may be a factor? Also don't know what the alternative venues would be for the activities they run (out of touch). And the Theatre Royal has been touch and go as well, hasn't it?

I'm not sure what pubs have to do with the Drill Hall as a community arts venue?

I left Lincoln 50 years ago. The Drill Hall has not been any part of my life since 1965 and I have no knowledge of what it has been in that time.

I left Lincoln 50 years ago. The Drill Hall has not been any part of my life since 1965 and I have no knowledge of what it has been in that time.

And yet you're posting on the internet which allows you to find about the history of the Drill Hall since 1965 in less than 5 seconds.

Of course, if you don't care that's fine.

You get what you vote for, right? ;)

Tbf, I quite like the European cafe culture.

I know, I’m in the wrong country but trying to escape the UK.

Edit: Cafes around the Vrijtoff Maastricht is the most wonderful place for watching the world go by. Maastricht itself is the most wonderful place to be.

Last edited:
Very sad news indeed, great memories of Beer Festivals not to mention 2 cracking gigs fairly recently (The Levellers & Big Country) .... hopefully it’ll re-open in due course like it did previously 🙏🏼

I think a lot of venues will be closing owing to a lack of funding and the impacts of coronavirus.

I think this was on the agenda before coronavirus.

We've seen quite a few things there. A sad day for culture in Lincoln but if the people of Lincoln prefer the latest Superhero film to a live play or band, so be it.

We live in a dumbed down culture that voted in an idiot as a Prime Minister and for Brexit.

You get the government and culture you vote for.
I suggest there aren't enough good bands to see anymore. Modern "music" has become as dumb as the people. I simply can't have rap, dance, and all the other shit, and I can't imagine many people in Lincoln wanting to see P-Diddy or whatever the hell he might call himself these days.
Stand-up has been castrated by PC. I'd imagine a comedian is frightened to death of offending anyone with anything he says.
But similarly, I can't stand superhero type films either. I'm just a miserable middle-aged bloke!
I make you right on dumbed down for sure, probably in most of the world, maybe more so in the western leaning places. To be fair, there are idiots in charge of plenty more countries too.