Race Issues/Riots/Protests/BLM | Page 93 | Vital Football

Race Issues/Riots/Protests/BLM

I find it boring and a bit ridiculous, so I'll not miss it, with that said, because i found it boring and ridiculous, I did what was sensible, I didn't watch it and left it to those who wanted to.

Nothing worse than a bunch of toffs sitting in a theatre waving flags in my humble.
This country does love to live in the past, maybe because the way the chavs have taken over, in the under classes and at the top in the so called elite, it has no future.

I think we have to separate the event from the songs here.
I too couldn't give a toss about the proms. Not my thing, not my people.

Down my way they have an open air event called The Battle Prom . Outdoor event, big stage . Military thing you may have guessed. Orchestra music, singing , red devils parachute display, calvary, cannons etc.
During the show about dusk, a Spitfire does a display and they play the patriotic songs such as Land of Hope and glory , Rule Britannia at the same time. I can tell you its spectacular and quite moving when you think of what the spitfire represents to so many then, as it still does now.

If that's wrong , I truly want out. The game has gone as they say.

I find it boring and a bit ridiculous, so I'll not miss it, with that said, because i found it boring and ridiculous, I did what was sensible, I didn't watch it and left it to those who wanted to.

Nothing worse than a bunch of toffs sitting in a theatre waving flags in my humble.
This country does love to live in the past, maybe because the way the chavs have taken over, in the under classes and at the top in the so called elite, it has no future.
Nothing to do with that, its the BBC once again acting as judge and jury with regard to what they deem to be suitable for the British tv audiences to watch.
And the criteria once again is does it fit in with their woke agenda.

And isn't the slave context in Rule Britannia....
Britain shall never be slaves....

Which i took to be the country striving to be always free and fighting for that freedom.

Ok . There is problem that we were enslaving black people at the time the song was written and after so I can see the conflict. But the song is not glorifying enslaving black people it's in a different context is it not ?.

Nothing to do with that, its the BBC once again acting as judge and jury with regard to what they deem to be suitable for the British tv audiences to watch.
And the criteria once again is does it fit in with their woke agenda.

Yes, fair enough. Would be ok, I think, if they didn't charge us a license fee, then they would be a commercial outfit and can make the judgements.

I do find it triumphantalist (not a proper word), elitist and boorish though. lol

And isn't the slave context in Rule Britannia....
Britain shall never be slaves....

Which i took to be the country striving to be always free and fighting for that freedom.

Ok . There is problem that we were enslaving black people at the time the song was written and after so I can see the conflict. But the song is not glorifying enslaving black people it's in a different context is it not ?.

By the rich and elite at the time? Got no answer, if I had, I'd be leaning towards it all being jingoism and elitism over all those we conquered.

Yes, fair enough. Would be ok, I think, if they didn't charge us a license fee, then they would be a commercial outfit and can make the judgements.

I do find it triumphantalist (not a proper word), elitist and boorish though. lol
Wouldnt disagree with any of that, however you hit the nail on the head with the compulsory licence fee bit.
It is the fact that you are forced to pay towards the production costs of what I consider to be a left wing organisation whos views in many areas of its broadcsting I disagree with.
Its like me being a Villa fan and being forced to pay for the running of Birmingham City football club.
Also 90% of everything watched on our tv is either You Tube, Netflix, Amazon Prime or Sky boxsets, none of which requires a licence to watch.
And commercially how can it be right in this day and age that the BBC receives a total income of £5.2 Billion, 75% of which comes from the licence payer, and is used to fund the BBC commercial arms of its business to make money all round the world.
The other commercial chanels have to stand on their own two feet, why are the BBC treated differently.
If this funding model were proposed now it would cause uproar and no one would pay it.

Ive never watched the proms in my life. Just the principle for me.
A black man was on sky news banging on about that he has been stopped by police 20 times in his life? Who hasnt? Ive been stopped by police way more than that for one reason or another. And i too was innocent (90% of the time anyway).
Its just getting too much now. ANYTHING negative that happens to anyone black now is a racist attack on them.
No you bunch of babies... its fecking life, now grow up and stop playing the victim.
I still havnt seen a BLM protester demanding action for modern day slaves. Bit strange.

My sister loves the Proms, is an opera snob ( she would admit that), is a classical music buff, and is definitely not a toff. She will be livid about removing Land of Hope & Glory and Rule Britannia, WTF is wrong with the BBC? It needs disbanding.

Personally I don't watch the Proms, but I will say ask an American not to be patriotic, see what response you get. The Proms is tradition, and although not my cup of tea, there is nothing wrong with loving your country and loving singing about it, it is why people are risking their lives to come here, isn't it? Land Of Hope and Glory..

I have never been stopped by the police.

Hope that helps.
I have, I've had long hair since I was sixteen, and I've been stopped numerous times by Police, always looking for drugs, TBH most of them are not the brightest so they just take a look at you, make a judgement call on your hair length, and tee shirt, and search you illegally. In my later years the couple of dealings I have had with the Police is witnessing them being rude and aggressive for no real reason. One was coming away from a concert where a met officer was being a **** because our female driver misunderstood his arm waving. The other I'd accidentally left my front fog lamps on, and a traffic cop decided to stop traffic to berate me. Have to say I don't have a lot of confidence in the rank and file but in general I'm glad they are there. I have several ex-coppers as customers who are all great so I suppose I've just been unlucky.

My sister loves the Proms, is an opera snob ( she would admit that), is a classical music buff, and is definitely not a toff. She will be livid about removing Land of Hope & Glory and Rule Britannia, WTF is wrong with the BBC? It needs disbanding.

Personally I don't watch the Proms, but I will say ask an American not to be patriotic, see what response you get. The Proms is tradition, and although not my cup of tea, there is nothing wrong with loving your country and loving singing about it, it is why people are risking their lives to come here, isn't it? Land Of Hope and Glory..

That is the thing though my badger loving friend, I have an opinion of it, I think it is all that is wrong with this backward looking country BUT as I say in my rather wonderful (as they all are) post, I don't like it, I don't bang on about not liking it, I just don't watch it. It really is that easy to avoid isn't it?! Let people wave their flags and do whatever they do, i'll do my thing!

Similar to what Wurzel is saying, some are good, some are bad, (some are very angry people and maybe that is from their experiences on the job, how they are talked to, treated and the aggression they face) but I would rather know they are there than not.

It is like most people, if you talk/deal with them correctly, they are usually fine and then yes, of course, you can come up against the 'Mr Angry' sort as well, like in any other profession.

Split the BBC posts off as that's a good debate on it's own.
Sure, but can I remake the point here that Last Night of the Proms proposed dropping the singalong for Rule Britannia, not because of Black Lives Matter, but because of COVID there won't be anyone in the building to fucking singalong with it!
Queen won't be performing Radio Ga Ga with the fucking handclaps anytime soon either, but no one's going bananas about that are they, because it's not a good outrage-distraction for the Government.

65k excess COVID deaths: No PM interview. A-level fiasco: No PM interview. U-turn on eviction ban extension: No PM interview. Last Night of the Proms might do instrumental versions because no one will be in the building to sing along: PM all over the TV fucking OUTRAGED, and here we are all bickering about it and ignoring anything actually important, just how it suits him.

Jaysus.