The Fitness/Nutrition Thread | Page 31 | Vital Football

The Fitness/Nutrition Thread

Very good how active you've kept (which sounds condescending but really isn't)

The question though. Really no simple answer at all.

Depends what you mean by the zip has gone, depends the rest of the time how have you felt (not beyond the realms you've had a bug or virus and are getting over it) might be a bit of stress over the covid thing/anything else. Could just be a lull in energy, or have you changed your diet at all, maybe lacking in a vitamin or mineral. Have you sweat much when out walking, with it being muggy, could be slight dehydration. And so on.

There are energy gels, hydration tablets, caffeine (I can't really operate without an energy boost from caffeine most days, wish I could) and so on if any of those help.

I would start with the simple things, so check you are hydrating ok first perhaps. And wouldn't hurt to try to increase your intake of foods high in potassium, so bananas, natural yoghurt, err... long list you can google or I can cut and paste into here if you wish. Might be nothing to do with that, but you won't hurt yourself having that food anyway.

I think it has been pretty muggy of late, could be something that simple?
Thank you for your response JF.
It strikes a chord.
I drink a cup of tea when I wake, a cup of coffee perhaps a half hour later, and I probably only have maybe one, or possibly two hot drinks in the rest of the day and no cold drinks.
I say it strikes a chord because what you have said is what my wife has also said.
I just dont feel thirsty.
I also dont eat much.
Cant do breakfast, other than a few biscuits, and rarely any lunch.
I do eat a decent evening meal, as its the only time I feel hungry.
She also said the porridge you mention in your later post.
I think maybe what I could get away with when younger possibly wont work now.
I did think about the virus you mention, because back at the end of Jan, early Feb I had the most aweful cough that lasted a couple of weeks and havent really felt right since then.
I think more liquid, and porridge will be the first port of call.
Once again thanks for taking the time.

Yup , what JF said really. I would check the colour of your urine as well , it should be a pale straw colour , if it is dark it will probably mean you are dehydrated , and it the hot and humid weather we have been having it is easy to happen. I have cut down on my cups of tea lately and drank water instead.

Also if you don't like breakfast , perhaps a protein shake will tee you up for the day , I always think breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it is like filling a car up will petrol . When I ran this morning I had a shake and 2 bananas about an hour before I went and that did me for 10 miles although I did have an energy gel halfway.

My protein shake is lovely , milk , natural Greek yoghurt , blueberries , flaxseed and porridge oats.

Yup , what JF said really. I would check the colour of your urine as well , it should be a pale straw colour , if it is dark it will probably mean you are dehydrated , and it the hot and humid weather we have been having it is easy to happen. I have cut down on my cups of tea lately and drank water instead.

Also if you don't like breakfast , perhaps a protein shake will tee you up for the day , I always think breakfast is the most important meal of the day as it is like filling a car up will petrol . When I ran this morning I had a shake and 2 bananas about an hour before I went and that did me for 10 miles although I did have an energy gel halfway.

My protein shake is lovely , milk , natural Greek yoghurt , blueberries , flaxseed and porridge oats.
Thanks sirdennis, I will check out the protein shake and in general I think I have got to be open to a bit of a diet change, and try to get into the habit of eating something first thing. The car analogy makes sense
Also the urine colour is darker than pale straw so you JF and my wife all probably right.

Definitely looks like quick fixes, that is nowhere near enough liquid intake, especially not through hot and humid weather. Lack of fluid can lead to kidney stones as well. Drink a litre of water a day. You can always make it more interesting if you need to, add a little lemon or lime (just squeeze half of one into a litre of water, put in fridge and drink through the day).

And yes, carbs for energy, as opposed to sirdennis advice on protein. So some fruit, the bread and jam, or porridge - 30 to 45 mins before you go for the walk.

But yes, if you had that virus wise, it could even have been covid, and a lot of people are apparently suffering from post viral syndrome (lack of energy, heavy muscles, lethargic feeling - which is my baseline to every day due to the brain aches, but I digress!)

Definitely looks like quick fixes, that is nowhere near enough liquid intake, especially not through hot and humid weather. Lack of fluid can lead to kidney stones as well. Drink a litre of water a day. You can always make it more interesting if you need to, add a little lemon or lime (just squeeze half of one into a litre of water, put in fridge and drink through the day).

And yes, carbs for energy, as opposed to sirdennis advice on protein. So some fruit, the bread and jam, or porridge - 30 to 45 mins before you go for the walk.

But yes, if you had that virus wise, it could even have been covid, and a lot of people are apparently suffering from post viral syndrome (lack of energy, heavy muscles, lethargic feeling - which is my baseline to every day due to the brain aches, but I digress!)

Yes it's called a protein shake but not sure it purely is It might be me but I seem to really get a good energy boost from it , and it's easy to digest so like this morning I am running at 9 o'clock , if I was having porridge I would need to eat that at no later than 6.30. With the shake I can have that at 8 o'clock without any problems.

Some are mixed protein and carbs, but they are usually called mass gainers.

I would always go carbs for pre exercise - for the quicker energy release and protein after, for the recovery.

You've found what suits you, but also, to be fair, you are adding oats, seeds and fruit, all good and different release times for energy.

Thanks sirdennis, I will check out the protein shake and in general I think I have got to be open to a bit of a diet change, and try to get into the habit of eating something first thing. The car analogy makes sense
Also the urine colour is darker than pale straw so you JF and my wife all probably right.
Yeah the gents have hit it on the head really.
Even protein shakes wont replace a proper diet.
For example a protein bomb shake is about 20gram of protein. You can get that from just one small tin of tuna. Just an example. These supplements from my experience market their products very well but when the cookie crumbles theres not much substance to them. And they do seem to be expensive.
There are a time and place for supplements but if your just looking for a zip on a 3 mile run i would personally stay well clear.
My advice. David goggins videos! See what zip you get out of those.

Yeah the gents have hit it on the head really.
Even protein shakes wont replace a proper diet.
For example a protein bomb shake is about 20gram of protein. You can get that from just one small tin of tuna. Just an example. These supplements from my experience market their products very well but when the cookie crumbles theres not much substance to them. And they do seem to be expensive.
There are a time and place for supplements but if your just looking for a zip on a 3 mile run i would personally stay well clear.
My advice. David goggins videos! See what zip you get out of those.
Thanks colavfc, all of this is the sort of responses I was hoping for and I will check out David Goggins.

A supplement is exactly that, a SUPPLEMENT i.e. an addition to a good diet. As you are saying col, (and I don't mean sirdennis here, I know he's well read and worked through all different combinations when it came to nutrition for his running) think supplements are their main food source.

Yes re the liquid, I probably dont help myself, because not only do I not drink a lot, when I go out I always get out around mid-day, when things are warming up.
Not sure re the Covid thing because apart from that bloody aweful cough I felt ok.
It did go a bit tits up from there though. Interesting.
Thanks for input.

Feel a bit sorry for you now, all you wanted to do was take your dog for a nice long walk, Col now has you doing an ultra marathon I think!!!!
Must admit it looks a bit daunting, so I think I will start with the water and the porridge for now.
Off to Holland and Barrett in the morning for the rolled oats and who knows I could be running up to Villa Park for the first game after lockdown.
All advice has been taken on board.

If you are on the lazy side of cooking (or for porridge 'cooking' the instant ones in the likes of aldi and sainsbury are good!... just add hot water! LOL)

50.9 miles, yesterday. Longest ride yet. Loved it.

Toady, just a short 17 miles warm up, to keep the legs going.

Thinking of having two days rest now. I seem to remember that muscles require 48 hours to fully recover.