Gardening thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

Well, about 2/3 of the potatoes have come through and look to be growing nicely.

The tomatoes have actually done pretty well, but I think we probably planted them too late to be useful.

Had out first, single, strawberry, which was delicious.

I think we're going to go with all the above next year, with more strawberry plants to hopefully get a decent little rolling crop from them.

The herbs are fine, of course.

Your sunflowers are all very impressive ours are not so - although we think they might hit prime in september given when we planted them.

a rabbit (s) has dug up the spinach patch it could be a squirrel though as the lawn got done the same night.

the tomatos are still soldiering on, this is the first year I have grown them under glass and I am impressed with the difference. Also just picked the first cucumber.

We have harvested the plums - I reckon about 35 kg . We also have 2 fig trees and have taken approx 60 figs off so far.

Just copied this from the wildlife thread:

I recently was told about a free app called Seek which helps identify plants and animals. You either use an existing photo on your phone, or use the camera via the app to look at something in real time and it can usually identify what it is. Might be of some help if you have any unknown plants or beasties in your garden.

Harvested a shit load of blackberries that droop over our wall from a bit of open land adjoining us last Thursday.

It is now Monday and I really could do without eating another blackberry ever again. Literally put them with everything, breakfast dinner and tea. Lovely but moderation is needed. Still lots ripening as well!!

Apples and Pears in the garden very close to being harvested now as well. Normally that's not done until Mid-September, but that'll be too late this. Everything seems 3-4 weeks ahead of normal. Global warming for you??

Harvested a shit load of blackberries that droop over our wall from a bit of open land adjoining us last Thursday.

It is now Monday and I really could do without eating another blackberry ever again. Literally put them with everything, breakfast dinner and tea. Lovely but moderation is needed. Still lots ripening as well!!

Freeze them?

Freeze them?

My freezer is already full of random fruit based things the missus thought would be good for one of those nutri-bullet things someone bought us for a couple of Christmases ago ( or should I say recycled by them as it clearly wasn't brand new). That would only encourage her to do me a kale and frozen blackberry drink for dinner. Not tasty believe me.

My freezer is already full of random fruit based things the missus thought would be good for one of those nutri-bullet things someone bought us for a couple of Christmases ago ( or should I say recycled by them as it clearly wasn't brand new). That would only encourage her to do me a kale and frozen blackberry drink for dinner. Not tasty believe me.

The only way I can eat kale is roasted until its crispy in the oven. It's then a bit like Chinese crispy seaweed.

I feel your pain; ours is full of tayberries and I recently chucked away several tubs of what I think was puréed gooseberry, but which looked revolting! Must have been there for a few years.

Our tomato plants are starting to fruit. Suspect they won't ripen so, fried green tomatoes at the whistle stop cafe.

We pulled up one of our beetroot yesterday to see how they're doing; they have massive leaves so we were hopeful. The beet itself is about the size of a reasonably-sized plum! Maybe we'll leave them a bit longer.

We pulled up one of our beetroot yesterday to see how they're doing; they have massive leaves so we were hopeful. The beet itself is about the size of a reasonably-sized plum! Maybe we'll leave them a bit longer.

better then ours which are about the size of a raddish