Players going forward | Page 8 | Vital Football

Players going forward

Fulham wanting 7m from a tribunal for Elliot from Liverpool, less talent and first team exposure than Gelhardt. We must not sell Gelhardt for 1m. I would risk a tribunal if Fulham get anywhere near that if the worse came to worse.

Sell the training ground, sell a senior player for a couple of million etc.

Also Forest have rejected 10m for Cash, same age as Robinson but not as good, they want 15m and will probably get it. Why do other clubs always get bigger fees than us for similar players? Admin aside, I'm taking about us accepting 6m rising to possibly 10m in January.

So which first team squad players are no longer contracted to the club and we will probably never see wearing a latics shirt again:

Macleod. ( no great miss)
Pilkington. (Average return) *
Jacobs (has been a good servant , will end up ast another L1 club)
Roberts (was reliable when called upon but a luxury we can no longer afford) *
Fox (Average return) *
Jones (was reliable when called upon) *
Dunkley (will end up at a lower championship club if he can prove his fitness)
* we can no longer afford older / injury prone passengers.

Also Forest have rejected 10m for Cash, same age as Robinson but not as good, they want 15m and will probably get it. Why do other clubs always get bigger fees than us for similar players? Admin aside, I'm taking about us accepting 6m rising to possibly 10m in January.

I think Cash is a better player than Robinson, offensively and defensively, has played more games at this level and scored quite a lot of goals. I accept he used to play further forward. Robinson may go on to be a better player but I think most people were blown away by the Milan offer in January.

I've said this before on here, in the last few years we haven't been soft touches in the sellers market anymore. We told Cardiff to do one with Moore and the Robinson and grigg negotiations were excellent deals for us. Admin has obviously changed everything and we will probably be £15 million down on what we would have had if we'd sold Robinson, Gelhardt and Moore in January. The irony being that we may have stayed up anyway (Robinson and Gelhardt missed most of the back end of the season) and not been placed in administration as we would have had cash to get through to August. Who knows.

So which first team squad players are no longer contracted to the club and we will probably never see wearing a latics shirt again:

Macleod. ( no great miss)
Pilkington. (Average return) *
Jacobs (has been a good servant , will end up ast another L1 club)
Roberts (was reliable when called upon but a luxury we can no longer afford) *
Fox (Average return) *
Jones (was reliable when called upon) *
Dunkley (will end up at a lower championship club if he can prove his fitness)
* we can no longer afford older / injury prone passengers.
Macleod would be good in league 1 I think personally, wasnt of the level of our starters but hes decent enough for a level below. Same with gary Roberts whod do well and maybe become a coach for us one day soon. Hes a cut above in that league with his technical abilities.

I wouldn't say pilks has been average I think when fit he's amongst our best players currently. Hes got talent

I think Cash is a better player than Robinson, offensively and defensively, has played more games at this level and scored quite a lot of goals. I accept he used to play further forward. Robinson may go on to be a better player but I think most people were blown away by the Milan offer in January.

I've said this before on here, in the last few years we haven't been soft touches in the sellers market anymore. We told Cardiff to do one with Moore and the Robinson and grigg negotiations were excellent deals for us. Admin has obviously changed everything and we will probably be £15 million down on what we would have had if we'd sold Robinson, Gelhardt and Moore in January. The irony being that we may have stayed up anyway (Robinson and Gelhardt missed most of the back end of the season) and not been placed in administration as we would have had cash to get through to August. Who knows.

I think they are very similar, stats back that up too, Cash is clearly better going forward due to being a converted winger, Robinson is better defensively. With Robinsons pace he has the ability to improve massively offensively and I believe that will allow him to reach a level slightly higher than Cash.

1.5 million for Robinson is disgraceful who ever agreed with these relegation clauses is truly appalling we are getting 5 million less than his true worth same with gelhardt and his contract the club has probably lost possibly 10 million in revenue with these 2 alone

Maybe the clause was a condition of him signing in the first place. Would you have been pleased if he'd walked away last summer because we wouldn't agree to it?

I'm not sure if we would be able to put any sell on clauses in the agreement for Robinson, but i's been reported we have significant clauses for various things in Weir, Devine and Gelhardt's contracts. The reality is we need money now. I'm not sure of the reasons behind it, but the administrator said last week that up until now we were only allowed to sell to Premier League clubs and that's why it's the youngsters that have had to go so far.

On the face of it we've just received £2m for 3 youngsters with only a couple of league starts between them. They have potential but not every kid realises their potential.

Regardless of us being administration robinson was going to milan for a reported 8 million pound in January surely after that someone at the club should have been wise enough to try and renegotiate this release clause we have been flirting with relegation all season the same with gelhardt the clubs best youth hope 1 million pound to leeds Birmingham just sold Bellingham for 20 million plus this lad should be the one with the relegation clause possibly 5 million a club our size simply cant lose the money we have on these 2 deals its amateur at best

1.5 million for Robinson is disgraceful who ever agreed with these relegation clauses is truly appalling we are getting 5 million less than his true worth same with gelhardt and his contract the club has probably lost possibly 10 million in revenue with these 2 alone

If Joffy really does have a market value of +£5m then why is only Leeds rumoured to be prepared to bid £900k and no one else?
Same with Jedi - lots of teams rumoured to be interested in him must surely start a bidding war.
Lets not get carried away with potential loss of sales revenue

Regardless of us being administration robinson was going to milan for a reported 8 million pound in January surely after that someone at the club should have been wise enough to try and renegotiate this release clause we have been flirting with relegation all season the same with gelhardt the clubs best youth hope 1 million pound to leeds Birmingham just sold Bellingham for 20 million plus this lad should be the one with the relegation clause possibly 5 million a club our size simply cant lose the money we have on these 2 deals its amateur at best
Scholes .......
1. The release clause was probably insisted on (by him), in order for Robinson to sign.
2. After the deal fell through, what makes you think he'd amend his contract to forego the release clause, and ...
3. .... given our form started to improve, why would we feel as if we had a need to remove it anyway?

The circumstances forcing us to make these sales weren't foreseen. In addition, we don't properly know the circumstances behind why certain clauses were placed in contracts in the first place, so I'm not really sure why folk want to place blame.

The problem is that we need cash and other clubs know it.
We can't afford to haggle too much
Its a buyers market and if you factor in the reduced income for other clubs due to CV-19, the fees are always going to be much less than even 6 months ago.
Plus the fees paid will be 100% cash now, no deals like £1m now and staged payments over 2 or 3 years as is the norm, so we will get less that "market value" for any players sold

On the flip side, it can also be said that a club in such deep shit as we are can't afford to turn down £2m for unrealised potential.

It amazes me that a small club like ours has so many expert business people supporting it.

On the flip side, it can also be said that a club in such deep shit as we are can't afford to turn down £2m for unrealised potential.

It amazes me that a small club like ours has so many expert business people supporting it.

You don't have to be a business expert to realise selling players for a fraction of the market value is terrible for the financial security of the club. Hands are tied with Robinson. However the Moore and Gelhardt fees are a total disgrace.

Players have release clauses inserted in contracts to enable them to further their own careers should a club be relegated. It is standard practise and anyone thinking that the club has been remiss in allowing them to have these clauses is way off the mark. A young player would not sign for a club if they thought that they would be tied to that club should they be relegated. Robinson, for instance, is far too good to be playing league one football but without that release clause could be forced to remain at the club, damaging his career.

Don't blame the club or the players for looking after themselves and their families, blame the crooked owners who put us in this position.

I, for one, hope all the players who leave us move to clubs that appreciate their talent and all of them go on to have decent careers. Don't forget, these are the same players who gave their all in the final games of the season to save the club and are still doing this by way of their transfer fees.

We have to sell to survive, we have to reduce our on going wage bill and we need to make the club attractive to new owners by showing that we can live within our means and not become a drain on their resources.