L1 wage cap vote | Page 3 | Vital Football

L1 wage cap vote

To be fair there is a salary cap in MLS albeit with greatly different rules with Designated Players etc
Ahh never knew bet it wouldnt matter to illustrate my point though that players not quite champiionship level but wont settle for peanuts might like it there. Or somewhere else where they can maintain that income, china perhaps ?

L1 has just pretty much opened up the door to the end of promotion to the Championship in the long term.

It is probably illegal though so i suspect it will get taken to court and removed.
The ironic thing being that it’s the little clubs who have voted for it in order to give themselves a better chance of competing for...promotion. The idiots are being played for mugs.

There's also nothing stopping a Sheffield Wednesday for example with their points deduction, extending everyone's contracts in April next year if they're looking at going down and having two or three years of marquee players to go straight back up.
It’s a farce

Sheffield Wednesday are supposed to have a 2 year transfer embargo as part of the punishment, so why is the talk of signing players?

The plan does also include the Championship with a cap of £8.5m it’s just the PL that can’t be included as they are not part of the EFL and a separate legal entity in their own right. Why should those greedy scroats vote to help the likes of the lower leagues? All the EFL will do with this cap is reduce standards, like comprehensive education, move at the level of the slowest or smallest.

The plan does also include the Championship with a cap of £8.5m it’s just the PL that can’t be included as they are not part of the EFL and a separate legal entity in their own right. Why should those greedy scroats vote to help the likes of the lower leagues? All the EFL will do with this cap is reduce standards, like comprehensive education, move at the level of the slowest or smallest.
Absolutely no way the championship will agree to 28.5m never mind 8.5m, EPL wouldn't allow it either re para payments etc.
Today is as far as it will go with continued massive overspend by championship clubs (inc Barnsley !).
For current L1 and L2 clubs the drawbridge is up and it ain't ever being lowered again.
What Latics, Fulham and Bournemouth did previously will never be repeated. The worst thing here the short sighted club owners have sealed their own fate here with the EFL smugly grinning fm the touchline.

I reckon I know the answers to these questions but I'll ask anyway. Who was it that came up with the figures of 2.5m and 1.5m. And also what options were available to clubs? Was it a straight yes or no vote?

I think one of the small, poor club chairman suggested it and all the other small, poor clubs pushed it.

I think it was a simple yes or no with all the small, poor clubs out numbering bigger clubs with more resources.

A wage cap that makes getting decent players to drop down a level virtually impossible, that will guarantee any bid from a Championship club will see players unsettled due to the difference in wages and makes the L1 promoted clubs even more likely to come straight back down.

The whole reason there is not much money outside the Prem and especially below the Championship is the lower leagues aren't viewed as that relevent and lack the star power to attract viewers and fans in large enough numbers to generate big tv rights and advertising revenue. This proposal will make the lower leagues even more irrelevant and drain what little star power you can have.

If this stands I think it's the day L1 and L2 committed suicide commercially and ambition wise. The extent of the damage won't be obvious immediately but I think this will go down as a massive mistake.

Typical EFL really and all these small clubs so eager to drag down the bigger ones they can't see they are dragging the whole system down.

Absolutely no way the championship will agree to 28.5m never mind 8.5m, EPL wouldn't allow it either re para payments etc.
Today is as far as it will go with continued massive overspend by championship clubs (inc Barnsley !).
For current L1 and L2 clubs the drawbridge is up and it ain't ever being lowered again.
What Latics, Fulham and Bournemouth did previously will never be repeated. The worst thing here the short sighted club owners have sealed their own fate here with the EFL smugly grinning fm the touchline.

It's not even the drawbridge pulled up by the championship clubs to lock out the lower teams. It's the drawbridge pushed up by L1 locking themselves out.

A DIY glass ceiling has been built that will act as the foundation for a solid one in a couple of years when the gap between the Championship and L1 is so vast promotion and relegation become impossible to make work.

I hope the PFA take this to court and get it thrown out as it's a joke.

To put into context how low 2.5m is

For the 18/19 season

Rochdale club wage bill 3.9m

Walsall and Shrewsbury 4.1

Blackpool 4.2

Wimbledon 4.7

Coventry 5.3

Southend 5.6

Scunthorpe 5.8

Fleetwood 7m

Portsmouth 7.4

Barnsley 8.1

Charlton 10.1

Sunderland 26.7

If your wage cap is saying Rochdale are over spending then WTF?!?

Last edited:
What happens to clubs that come down in future? They will have a massive advantage with a potential budget 8 times the salary cap then they can just spend their way to promotion as they will be out before they get capped like QPR once did. Its completely unworkable. To put a club like Sunderland in the same outgoings as say an Accrington is crazy. Some clubs will be run on a profit and have nothing to spend it on. How will a player ever go on loan from a Premier League team? Their wages will be too high. All plays into the hands of PL2 and a closed shop.

Lots of decent players will move to Championship clubs to sit on their arse for a lot more money rather than play every week.
I spoke to a mate of mine who works as an agent for a few players at L1 and L2 as well as non-league. He said some of them are now looking at alternative careers as they can make more money and it’s more secure employment.

It feels like another nail in football's coffin...it's life jim but not as we know it.

My thots to, it's as Moonay said...'football will eat itself' ........totally unworkable even tho imo football does need some sort of salary cap but why not start with the biv clubs giving out obscene salaries to the Pogbas and Augeros of the greed league!!!

Also no point in having an academy as soon as decent player comes through a club in championship or above can offer em above 1750 a week and they will be gone.

Best comment on here, bang on the button, just to add......Its the parasitic agents they need to get a grip on, large amounts of cash and backhanders handed over to these leeches.

It would be a good thing if these greedy bastards took a hit!

Lots of decent players will move to Championship clubs to sit on their arse for a lot more money rather than play every week.
I spoke to a mate of mine who works as an agent for a few players at L1 and L2 as well as non-league. He said some of them are now looking at alternative careers as they can make more money and it’s more secure employment.
Make more than £68 k a year. Bloody hell they'll be doing well to make so much in the real world.