we must face reality | Vital Football

we must face reality

DRAGNET

Vital 1st Team Regular
Many years ago 65+ I went to Anfield to watch Liverpool play Notts County (an original member of the football league formed in 1888). I remember it well for Notts had a very famous center forward playing for then by the name of Tommy Lawton, Notts were a big club those days. I noticed quite recently they played Harrogate in the play offs for the right to play in league 2 of the football league which they lost.
How the mighty have fallen, but in the case of Notts county not disappeared. We might easily go the same way, but it is up to everyone of you supporters to face reality, and make sure the club survives to fight another day.
The road ahead will not be easy, Wigan is not a wealthy town, we are part of the grim North (as our more affluent southern breatheran would say ) so we can't expect another sugar dady to take over the reigns.
I just hope that whoever takes over, and that is by no means certain will conduct our affairs with honesty and integrity (something in short supply these days).
In these uncertain times it is not going to be easy to start again whether it is going to be in league 1 or non league.
It will be up to you supporters who are fit and able to not lose heart, but support the club by getting off your backsides and go through the turnstiles, pay your money even if we playing shit. The glory days are over, but with much work form all, we might not be another Notts County.

Many years ago 65+ I went to Anfield to watch Liverpool play Notts County (an original member of the football league formed in 1888). I remember it well for Notts had a very famous center forward playing for then by the name of Tommy Lawton, Notts were a big club those days. I noticed quite recently they played Harrogate in the play offs for the right to play in league 2 of the football league which they lost.
How the mighty have fallen, but in the case of Notts county not disappeared. We might easily go the same way, but it is up to everyone of you supporters to face reality, and make sure the club survives to fight another day.
The road ahead will not be easy, Wigan is not a wealthy town, we are part of the grim North (as our more affluent southern breatheran would say ) so we can't expect another sugar dady to take over the reigns.
I just hope that whoever takes over, and that is by no means certain will conduct our affairs with honesty and integrity (something in short supply these days).
In these uncertain times it is not going to be easy to start again whether it is going to be in league 1 or non league.
It will be up to you supporters who are fit and able to not lose heart, but support the club by getting off your backsides and go through the turnstiles, pay your money even if we playing shit. The glory days are over, but with much work form all, we might not be another Notts County.
Tbf I would settle for being Notts County if the alternative was oblivion and would continue to support home and away 🙂

No fishing bro, deadly serious, Pollard just wants the stadium not the football club, it would suit him if we go the same way as Notts County.

No fishing bro, deadly serious, Pollard just wants the stadium not the football club, it would suit him if we go the same way as Notts County.

Does he hell.

If that's really the way you feel, then fair enough. If it was Lindsay, then fair enough. Even if it was Melvyn "Now I shout it from the highest hill" Leatherbarrow, then fair enough.

But Lenegan's done nowt to hurt us. He wasn't part of all that bollocks back then. The rugby can't afford the stadium by themselves. There's always going to be way more money in football than rugby - even at League 1 level.

If he wants us, great as far as I'm concerned.

Does he hell.

If that's really the way you feel, then fair enough. If it was Lindsay, then fair enough. Even if it was Melvyn "Now I shout it from the highest hill" Leatherbarrow, then fair enough.

But Lenegan's done nowt to hurt us. He wasn't part of all that bollocks back then. The rugby can't afford the stadium by themselves. There's always going to be way more money in football than rugby - even at League 1 level.

Couple of points.........
I always thought Maurice and Melvyn where the same person - every day's a schoolday 🙂
I am with Norm on this one per prior post it's about land grabbing the stadium to the worriers benefit first and foremost.
That said if it's the only option better Notts County than Bury 🔵⚪

Couple of points.........
I always thought Maurice and Melvyn where the same person - every day's a schoolday 🙂
I am with Norm on this one per prior post it's about land grabbing the stadium to the worriers benefit first and foremost.
That said if it's the only option better Notts County than Bury 🔵⚪

Maurice Lindsay - Wigan RL Chairman (or CE) and snivelly, smarmy little shite who did the condescending interview that started off the real hate.

Melvyn Leatherbarrow (stage name Johnny Martin) - local empresario/singer, ran the RL club (Riverside) and was a director of the RL club.

On stage .....

Does he hell.

It would be another disaster for Latics if Ian Lenegan got his hands on our ground.
Its vital for Latics future to keep sole ownership of the DW.
With a good return from stadium sponsorship and in turn renting out the conference rooms and various other facilities this will go towards self sufficiency.
If we end up sharing or just tenants I fear we will go the way of Notts County or worse still Bury.

It would be another disaster for Latics if Ian Lenegan got his hands on our ground.
Its vital for Latics future to keep sole ownership of the DW.
With a good return from stadium sponsorship and in turn renting out the conference rooms and various other facilities this will go towards self sufficiency.
If we end up sharing or just tenants I fear we will go the way of Notts County or worse still Bury.

Wigan Athletic don't own the ground. We're owned by the same company that own a controlling majority in the stadium and have been since it opened - before Warriors were on board, when Whelan owned them and after Whelan owned them.
We still pay rent on the stadium from what someone showed of the last accounts on here and all the functions go to the stadium company and not Latics as far as I understand it.

If Lenagan/Warriors wanted the stadium they could make a bid for it on its own. His consortium wants to buy all of it, including Latics and run both clubs independently under a Wigan Sporting Company just like Whelan did

If lenagan buys us then we will still have a wigan athletic to support i couldn't care less about his connection with wigan rugby we will have a wiganer in charge of wigan and that suits me as we try and rebuild after what happened with these robbers

Maurice Lindsay - Wigan RL Chairman (or CE) and snivelly, smarmy little shite who did the condescending interview that started off the real hate.

Melvyn Leatherbarrow (stage name Johnny Martin) - local empresario/singer, ran the RL club (Riverside) and was a director of the RL club.

On stage .....
Thanks mate - just a little to young to have had the "riverside experience" heard aloft of stories though.......!

Wigan Athletic don't own the ground. We're owned by the same company that own a controlling majority in the stadium and have been since it opened - before Warriors were on board, when Whelan owned them and after Whelan owned them.
We still pay rent on the stadium from what someone showed of the last accounts on here and all the functions go to the stadium company and not Latics as far as I understand it.

If Lenagan/Warriors wanted the stadium they could make a bid for it on its own. His consortium wants to buy all of it, including Latics and run both clubs independently under a Wigan Sporting Company just like Whelan did

Yes I know Latics don't own the DW and all the various properties. They are all in individual holding companies.
But the same person (Whelan) then IEC owns the lot and makes money available to Latics for team building.
Like I said its important for Latics future we keep hold of the ground as is generates income for us to invest in the playing side.

When Bolton had their problems and the club and hotel were being sold off. The company who bought the football club also needed the hotel as it generates income for the club.
Even though both are separate entities and probably in different holding companies.

If IL got his hands on the ground Latics would still be tenants but without the benefits generated from stadium income.

Yon
If IL got his hands on the ground Latics would still be tenants but without the benefits generated from stadium income.
YonMon ......... please understand that if Lenegan buys us (the 5 companies) then he'll own
a) Wigan Athletic (the 5 companies in their current structure) and
b) Wigan Warriors ...................... who pay rent to one of the Wigan Athletic companies to use the DW).

If he wants to change the position of Latics benefiting from stadium income, then he'd need to change the company structure........ which he may do.......but why would he?

If he wants to buy us, we'll be more expensive to run than the rugby, so why would he deprive us of income?

There's no logical reason.

None.