The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 82 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

I agree with Pangloss that Edouard is more the *type* of striker we need than Watkins, regardless of which would score the more goals for us. Edouard can play across the front three, is strong and looks good at bringing other players in, as opposed to Watkins who looks a more out-and-out goalscorer who may be a bit of a luxury in the way that we play.

However, I've proven time and again to know basically nothing about football and what I say is almost guaranteed to be bollocks.
Watkins played almost exclusively as a wide player when they had Maupay so I don’t think Watkins only being a “goalscorer” rings true.

I’m not saying let’s get Watkins, I think I’ve been clear in nearly all my previous points I think we need top flight experience. My point is I think it’s ludicrous to say Championship level is too low a standard, but SPL isn’t? I would argue strongly the SPL is much worse and for any half decent player playing for Celtic they will easily rack up great goal scoring records against piss poor opposition.

Honestly I think sometimes it comes down to which name sounds better... Watkins, boring name, plays in the championship, therefore he must be crap... Edouard ooh he sounds foreign and exciting let’s buy him.

We are going to wait until the last minute on the last day then announce the resigning of Drinkwater for another 12 months.

What about 22 year olds? :fish:

My point is he's never going to be a premier league quality player. He's league 1 at best so why bother loaning him out when we can sell him for a fee?

P.s. We sold Darren Byfield to Walsall aged 23 after he'd played for our first team.

If they aren't good enough get them gone.
Far too early to pigeonhole him as a league one player. Might be a bit rose tinted to say he will be a premier league quality striker but he's certainly got some of the attributes of one. I'd hate to see us ship him out and then see him playing for a top ten club in 5 years time.

I would be happy with any of the strikers we are linked with tbh. All clearly a step up on Samatta ( who needs to be sold asap ) and Davis who needs to be loaned out for a season. Gotta feeling if big Wes can come through his injury OK he will come good for us

Far too early to pigeonhole him as a league one player. Might be a bit rose tinted to say he will be a premier league quality striker but he's certainly got some of the attributes of one. I'd hate to see us ship him out and then see him playing for a top ten club in 5 years time.

Oh don't worry, I can allay your fears on that one, that won't happen!!!

Origi... know nothing about him, had a little look, 3 goals in 28 for Belgium.

19 in 91 for Liverpool.

8 in 33 for Lille (loan)

6 in 31 for VfL_Wolfsburg (loan)

:shrug:

Anyone with proper knowledge got any positives to throw in?

Origi is dreadful - I think that's the main problem with him tbh.
(nah tbf he did score 4 goals last year for the dippers in the prem, none in any of the other comps mentioned).
Someone will overpay to compensate the dippers for their poor recruitment in this case - hope it's not us subsiding them

Maybe we should go for Jack Rodwell for his experience as a Prem League winner ?

Why is he dreadful? Looks decent when I've watched him. He has been used out wide a bit this season which isnt his best position, he's an out and out centre forward

And if we buy Watkins as a wide player then great, but we still need a lone striker who is strong, can hold it up, bring others into play *and* score goals. I don't think Watkins is that kind of striker when he does play through the middle is he?

He's not exactly John Carew, but certainly has strength to hold the ball up, looked alright in the air from memory too. His ability to switch out wide would be helpful as well. I'm not saying throw all our eggs in one basket with Watkins, but I'd be happy to see him and another striker come in.
Definitely prefer Watkins over Benrahma. He has the look of another Taraabt about him to me.

19 in 91 for Liverpool.

8 in 33 for Lille (loan)

He's a good player but not a particularly good finisher, he can play across the front 3 and has often played on the left. He's quick, strong, good ability on the ball, pretty good shot on him too.

Watkins played almost exclusively as a wide player when they had Maupay so I don’t think Watkins only being a “goalscorer” rings true.

I’m not saying let’s get Watkins, I think I’ve been clear in nearly all my previous points I think we need top flight experience. My point is I think it’s ludicrous to say Championship level is too low a standard, but SPL isn’t? I would argue strongly the SPL is much worse and for any half decent player playing for Celtic they will easily rack up great goal scoring records against piss poor opposition.

Honestly I think sometimes it comes down to which name sounds better... Watkins, boring name, plays in the championship, therefore he must be crap... Edouard ooh he sounds foreign and exciting let’s buy him
Not a dig but the people on here who want him have actually seen him play, in the context of this forum the highlighted is just not true.

19 in 91 for Liverpool.

8 in 33 for Lille (loan)

His poor record at Liverpool is possibly mostly down to making mostly sub appearances rather than full 90 minutes. They think of him as a “super sub” up there but well below their main front 3. No idea what happened at Wolfsburg, Lille I think he was still young.

I think it would be a bit of a gamble to see whether he can step up be the main man rather than just part of the squad. Would depend on the price I guess.

i do hope were not going to waste another 100+ million on unproven championship and over seas players we need some proven quality or we will have another season fighting at the bottom

His poor record at Liverpool is possibly mostly down to making mostly sub appearances rather than full 90 minutes. They think of him as a “super sub” up there but well below their main front 3. No idea what happened at Wolfsburg, Lille I think he was still young.

I think it would be a bit of a gamble to see whether he can step up be the main man rather than just part of the squad. Would depend on the price I guess.
its a lot less of a gamble than samatta or wesley wasted well over 30 million on that pair both are no better than davies

i do hope were not going to waste another 100+ million on unproven championship and over seas players we need some proven quality or we will have another season fighting at the bottom

If we do then it will prove that we've learnt nothing.

19 in 91 for Liverpool.

8 in 33 for Lille (loan)

is that 3 in 28 starts playing 90 mins or is that 3 in 28 coming on for the last 10 i wonder how many benteke had scored for belgium untill we bought him because unlike origi he hadnt scored in the prem
i think he would be a far better player than the two we spent 30 plus million on last season