Charlton down ? | Page 3 | Vital Football

Charlton down ?

Steady on Lancs, i'ts not all over yet, both Sheffield W. and Derby are under investigation and could lose points giving both Charlton and Wigan a lifeline and Wigan's appeal although unlikely to be successful could go the other way, this is the EFL after all.
Very unlikely indeed that the EFL will doc points after the season. If Sheffield Wednesday or Derby get a points deduction it will come off next season.

Steady on Lancs, i'ts not all over yet, both Sheffield W. and Derby are under investigation and could lose points giving both Charlton and Wigan a lifeline and Wigan's appeal although unlikely to be successful could go the other way, this is the EFL after all.
How long have the EFL got to make up their minds?

The first one we are allowed will be away to Hull on a foggy Tuesday night in November.

I remember when the Spotters were glad to get rid of Alan Curbishley when they were mid table Premiership. I was telling the fans I knew that they were mad and should count their blessings.

Treble LOL at where they are now.

Well, those fans were right. Curbishley had taken them as far as he could. Trouble is, everyone else is shit by comparison.

When in the Championship I was grateful just to stay up.

True enough, anything could happen. Personally, I wouldn`t be too bothered if Charlton stayed up and one of either Sheff Wed or Derby replaced them - :car:

It would be wrong to punish other teams and keep Charlton up only to later find them guilty and punish them next season. I can see the league simply insisting that all punishments will go on next season Wigan apart having already given judgement.
Derby and Sheff Weds have broken the rules before the end of the season, absolutely. But I don’t think Charlton have broken the rules yet. The EFL are simply not happy with the ongoing ownership situation as they haven’t been informed.

It sounds like some real crooked transfer of ownership within a few weeks of being bought, all for dodgy reasons. I’m guessing the club haven’t made clear who their new owner will be and their intentions, which and presumably the deadline for registering for next season is coming soon. Otherwise the new owners don’t meet the EFL’s requirement (which is saying something).

There’s also the matter of Charlton will probably struggle to pay their players this week’s payslips.

Who would be a football administrator just now. Compiling a fixture list and getting all the basic, regulatory stuff done between now and 12th September (considerably earlier in truth) would have been a tall order in itself. Covid is a massive challenge and it has multiplied then underlying financial difficulties at our level. The EFL must now be ready to adapt to accommodate an unknown number of failing clubs and financial infractions. I hope they are ready to agree an amended penalty system, or our league might make little sense on kick off day.

https://853.london/2020/07/27/well-...enwich-council-leader-says-as-efl-warns-club/

Jesus, one of the directors and lawyer advising the club was the lawyer to Bury. The stadium and training ground are both owned by their former owner, the Belgian Roland Dachelet. Now the club are floundering in sending over information on the latest club sale (weeks after the last sale) - it’s looking bleak for them. My Charlton mate reckons they could go into admin once Payday hits this week.

Last edited:
It appears that Charlton are legally challenging Sheffield Wednesday points deduction for next season. They are saying it should apply immediately and therefore relegate them.
To be fair, I can see their argument.
Given that the fixtures need to be formulated, I wonder if they will put Gills at home to Charlton/Wednesday etc

It appears that Charlton are legally challenging Sheffield Wednesday points deduction for next season. They are saying it should apply immediately and therefore relegate them.
To be fair, I can see their argument.
Given that the fixtures need to be formulated, I wonder if they will put Gills at home to Charlton/Wednesday etc

The key thing is that the punishment relating to Sheffield Wednesday's rule breaches were made after the Championship regular league season had finished and more importantly by an independent body. If the decision to dock Wednesday 12 points was made prior to the league season finishing then fair enough.

To be honest, I suspect it is just Charlton being desperate to remain in the Championship and I'd be surprised if they get it overturned. With the new season hopefully starting sometime in September, the lawyers aren't going to have an awful lot of time to put their case forward.

It is worth noting that the FFP rules they broke was for the 2017/18 season and may have also had a small impact on the 2018/19 season. Since the 12 points related to prior seasons, it cannot be argued that the team gained an advantage last season by overspending. Hence Charlton can't argue that last season Sheffield Wednesday benefited by 12 points due to the rule break.

If they go down the "but Wigan got docked immediately" route then the rules has always been set as "12 points docked the day they went into admin". Sheffield Wednesday didn't go into admin so completely different set of rules.

I wonder if the reason why other teams are supporting Charlton is because Charlton would be favourites for relegation next season whereas Sheffield Wednesday would be considered more competitive.

Sheff Weds were charged back in October, while EFL prolonged the investigation and took the trial outside. Definitely a case for saying it should relate to this season gone, ala Wigan.

Sheff Weds were charged back in October, while EFL prolonged the investigation and took the trial outside. Definitely a case for saying it should relate to this season gone, ala Wigan.

The "crime" happened in 2018 so has no direct relevance to this past season.

They might have been charged in November but the investigation was concluded in June and it would have been concluded in June regardless of the year. Under normal circumstances, Charlton would have been relegated at the very start of May and would have accepted the relegation. In any other season, the new 2020-21 season would have started this weekend and upon the punishment being announced at the end of July, no one would have argued if the punishment should have been added to the end of the prior season or the season about to start.

Attachments

• 1596567493326.png
    1596567493326.png
    9.7 KB · Views: 4
https://853.london/2020/07/27/well-...enwich-council-leader-says-as-efl-warns-club/

Jesus, one of the directors and lawyer advising the club was the lawyer to Bury. The stadium and training ground are both owned by their former owner, the Belgian Roland Dachelet. Now the club are floundering in sending over information on the latest club sale (weeks after the last sale) - it’s looking bleak for them. My Charlton mate reckons they could go into admin once Payday hits this week.

It's nothing but trouble when a football club and the ground are owned by different people.

Agreed and I think that was the plan with new stadium. The football club would rent from the development company. Not something I am keen on
I think Scally was one of those who would benefit directly from the club paying rent on the new ground under the proposals for Mill Hill.