Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2 | Page 789 | Vital Football

Other Clubs News Discussion Thread 2

Bournemouth did OK partly because they were good at their tinpot little pitch. Until this season, when their losses there went up. Except to us of course.

Players who deliberately cough at other players or match officials can be red-carded, say football's rule-makers and the Football Association. The International Football Association Board (Ifab) said such and offence fell within "using offence, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures". It added: "As with all offences, the referee has to make a judgement about the true nature of the offence."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53643017

No room for error there then!

Players who deliberately cough at other players or match officials can be red-carded, say football's rule-makers and the Football Association. The International Football Association Board (Ifab) said such and offence fell within "using offence, insulting or abusive language and/or gestures". It added: "As with all offences, the referee has to make a judgement about the true nature of the offence."
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53643017

No room for error there then!

As long as VAR isn't involved it should be quite clear cut.

As long as VAR isn't involved it should be quite clear cut.

No it'll be worse. There's no FA guidance here so it truly comes down to each individual referees call in the moment - and with no 'right' decisions to guide, let's see who can invent the clearest 'wrong' decision - because even then, with no guidance, there is no wrong decision.:help:

No minimum distance guidelines, absolutely nothing, so if a referee decides a defender from 2 metres away coughs as a player is about to take a shot - that is now punishable and presumably, depending on whether said referee likes said striker, if he scores there's no punishment.....saved or misses, they get a second bite at the cherry and somebody sees red.

This is so massively open to abuse, with no sanction, it's frightening unless they quickly bring in some guidelines to follow.

Or you were just being sarcastic lol

Think you're looking into it too much @mike_field! It's just the same as spitting. Players spit on the pitch, but should one purposefully aim for another player, be they 2cm or 2m away, they are dismissed. Same concept applies. The act of coughing isn't sanctionable, the deliberate act towards an opponent is.

Disagree matey. Spitting is a voluntary action - coughing isn't.

And more importantly, players are being tested more often and better than health workers so no player should be going onto a pitch with the slightest risk of having Covid in the first place.

Disagree matey. Spitting is a voluntary action - coughing isn't.

And more importantly, players are being tested more often and better than health workers so no player should be going onto a pitch with the slightest risk of having Covid in the first place.

That's the point though. If you cough naturally it's no offence. It's those that purposefully do it as a form of intimidation.

You also have to remember these law changes are for everyone from the elite to your grassroots. To me, I suspect it's more likely to protect the grassroots players. The professionals will gain nothing from it and it's too much of a bubble they operate in (we'd have seen an incident in England, Spain, Italy or Germany by now if it was annissue for the top flight).

But this is my point lol We've seen elbows excused for some and not others, tackles excused for some and not others, penalties given for some and definitely not others - and there is guidance in place to prove them right or wrong.

There is no guidance on this so no right and wrong. Maybe I've just in a bad mood, but I see this as being massively open to debate far beyond handball, spitting, fouls etc.

Glad you mentioned grassroots - they actually have proper guidance for implementation. The FA, according to the report linked, have given no such guidance to the PL or EFL.

Are we saying that JT wouldn't be able to work with the defenders at any point because he's assistant coach, not defensive coach though!?

Ah, sorry, just looked at what the thread was... was answering a point but it isn't about another club.

Err... 'insert something about another club here, I've not got the time or inclination'

!

Ah, sorry, just looked at what the thread was... was answering a point but it isn't about another club.

Err... 'insert something about another club here, I've not got the time or inclination'

!

Ah yes, of course, the play-off final tonight, you're completely right.

I hope Brentford get the job done, I'd like to see them come up instead of Fulham, the thought of that just bores me completely.

Are we saying that JT wouldn't be able to work with the defenders at any point because he's assistant coach, not defensive coach though!?

Not exactly. But DS brought his own people with him; I think the GK coach also covers defence. JT is an extra. And my guess is that when it comes to overall team set up and how it is organised it's all down to DS.

I'm sure JT is useful when it comes to imparting words of wisdom to individual players; I think players like Jack respect him and learn from him. But when it comes to deciding on how the defence is set up I doubt if DS delegates.