The National League 2019/20 Season Thread | Page 11 | Vital Football

The National League 2019/20 Season Thread

To be fair i dont begrudge any of these clubs getting promoted yes they rely on wealthy people to make it happen but it has to also happen by merit on the field. At least little and big clubs alike can go up and down the pyramid. A league clubs over here cant get relegated however shit they are and the semi pro pro leagues are regulated so they can only drop one league depending on state. Be very thankfull you have that system .

Absolutely. And it has happened by merit on the field. For me though, the league is diluted every time a Fleetwood, Barrow, Stevenage or Crawley come up - getting into the league is the absolute pinnacle of their achievements and still there is no real interest in their town. I appreciate many of them are relatively small places, but it’s to the leagues detriment to have teams that average 2k replacing those that in some instances average 4 times that. I get it’s about success on the field and the pyramid has to have ups and downs but I can’t really believe there are many (any) chairman or league officials salivating over Barrow and Harrogate next season.

Where is ‘over here’?

I remember Harrogate Town from their Yorkshire League days and, indeed, their local rivals, Harrogate Railway. Good luck to them!

#anyteambutCounty

Absolutely. And it has happened by merit on the field. For me though, the league is diluted every time a Fleetwood, Barrow, Stevenage or Crawley come up - getting into the league is the absolute pinnacle of their achievements and still there is no real interest in their town. I appreciate many of them are relatively small places, but it’s to the leagues detriment to have teams that average 2k replacing those that in some instances average 4 times that. I get it’s about success on the field and the pyramid has to have ups and downs but I can’t really believe there are many (any) chairman or league officials salivating over Barrow and Harrogate next season.

Where is ‘over here’?

Brisbane, I'm guessing.

Where is ‘over here’?
i don't get this argument, that size of support is somehow connected to the league you deserve to be in. using your logic, would lincoln be at their pinnacle to make the championship, but would not justify a place there over any 'big' club that could muster 4 times the fans we can.

is the championship diluted by having wycombe in it? and who's fault is it that sunderland with their 30,000-50,000 fans (depending on which league they are in) are in league one?

For me though, the league is diluted every time a Fleetwood, Barrow, Stevenage or Crawley come up - getting into the league is the absolute pinnacle of their achievements

Just a reminder that Barrow have 44 seasons as a Football League club behind them (albeit not since 1972) and were founder members of Division Three (North) along with Imps in 1921.

Where is ‘over here’?
Brisbane

i don't get this argument, that size of support is somehow connected to the league you deserve to be in. using your logic, would lincoln be at their pinnacle to make the championship, but would not justify a place there over any 'big' club that could muster 4 times the fans we can.

is the championship diluted by having wycombe in it? and who's fault is it that sunderland with their 30,000-50,000 fans (depending on which league they are in) are in league one?

Fan base shouldn’t, as you say, dictate what league you play in or what your ceiling should be. But would you really rather be playing Harrogate or Notts, or Burton or Chesterfield though? I‘d argue a Blackburn fan would more more excited about playing Sunderland than Lincoln in the Championship. Football is about big away followings, packed away ends and the associated atmosphere. A lot of new arrivals in the League, in terms of a match day, offer nothing.

Given their style of football, any league would be diluted by having Wycombe in😀

Obviously Mr Weaver snr has been putting money in (name me a club where the owner doesn’t?) but looking at their team doesn’t give the impression of a big budget team

As I understand the way Weavers money has been invested into Harrogate, it’s not quite the same as disliking the bank rolling of FGR etc. The money has predominantly been invested off the pitch, in creating an infrastructure and sustainable football club. Pitches, facilities, young lads.

Often reading articles on Harrogate/ Simon Weaver in the NLP over the years it talks more about the culture they create, very Cowley esc, always cleaning the dressing rooms etc. Good hard working people.

Congratulations to them, it’s been a nice journey to watch from afar over the past 11 years! Simon Weaver has kept a close eye on Lincoln and I wouldn’t be surprised to see one or two more ex imps make their way to Harrogate now they’re in the FL!