Connor Ogilvie | Page 3 | Vital Football

Connor Ogilvie

Well it’s all about opinions isn’t it.
Max was good in most games, but I thought Ogilvie and Tucker were better personally. It was his best season for us by far in the 5-6 years he’s been here.

Hasn't Ehmer previously won various player of the year awards and has been typically in one of the runner up spots? I thought Ehmer was his usual reliable self.

Personally I think the appreciation of Ogilvie and Tucker has been boosted by low expectations. Ogilvie the prior season,.especially at left back, was judged by pretty much all to be on Thurgood levels of useless. This season he has been in form and has shown himself to be a highly competent centerback.

As för Tucker, who had heard of him? It was an amazing discovery that in the youths we had a defender who was capable of holding his own?

Chris, I know some of these people. There are some with genuine reasons for the boycott - either because Steve Evans is here and they feel he shouldn’t be in football after his past convictions. There are others who have genuine concerns over the new stadium, which along with his salary lead to genuine questions being asked of his reasons for leading the club. He pays himself too much - perhaps £50k more than he should? That wouldn’t pay a player’s wages.

But for every one of those there are many supporters who simply don’t want to go to Gills anymore. “I don’t like Scally” is the Gillingham supporter’s “Taking back control” motto. I’ve heard many say “I don’t go to Gills now as I don’t like Scally. Also, I can’t afford it/can’t make it to many games now”. One refuses to go after demanding some free posters after buying two Gills shirts, and was refused. Others have banning orders or have mates with banning orders.

A boycott just sounds better, it gives the impression they still somewhat care.
50k over 25 years is £1,250,000 a useful sum me thinks .If Scally put in a fraction of that now it would give the impression we were in this together.

He does run a (IMO successful) business with a turnover of £6/7m. Out of football I don't know what you'd be paid for an equivalent sized business but I don't imagine it'd be too far off.

He has essentially dedicated the prime of his career to the club.

Nb. Please correct me if I'm wrong about the turnover figure, can't be arsed to look it up

I am no fan of Scally but in his defence, he has spent this lockdown period working out how to save many peoples (behind the scenes) jobs. That is some stress (and with his medical history it might have been easier just to give up and sell the land for housing).

Not his biggest fan and he does a lot wrong but I wouldn't want his job right now. This season more than any other he might actually deserve his package if he keeps us alive.

I am no fan of Scally but in his defence, he has spent this lockdown period working out how to save many peoples (behind the scenes) jobs. That is some stress (and with his medical history it might have been easier just to give up and sell the land for housing).

Not his biggest fan and he does a lot wrong but I wouldn't want his job right now. This season more than any other he might actually deserve his package if he keeps us alive.

Are you no fan of Scally or not his biggest fan?

Are you no fan of Scally or not his biggest fan?

Both or probably somewhere between the two.

I have gone on record as saying he is exactly what we need right now. He is not what we need to take us forward though. For whatever reason he has been unsuccessful in attracting investment despite that being his key strategic goal for years.

I honestly believe to move forward as a club it needs to be without him but to survive short term, he is exactly what we need.

Both or probably somewhere between the two.

I have gone on record as saying he is exactly what we need right now. He is not what we need to take us forward though. For whatever reason he has been unsuccessful in attracting investment despite that being his key strategic goal for years.

I honestly believe to move forward as a club it needs to be without him but to survive short term, he is exactly what we need.
The problem is that the club simply will not be able to field a league one side and pay his wages unless we get a return to some sort of normality.
If the budget takes the hit then the attendances will be hit when people can go.If Scally is willing to work for what the club can afford fine .If not he is our employee in many ways.

The problem is that the club simply will not be able to field a league one side and pay his wages unless we get a return to some sort of normality.
If the budget takes the hit then the attendances will be hit when people can go.If Scally is willing to work for what the club can afford fine .If not he is our employee in many ways.

I don't think many sides will be able to field a league one side next season if the baseline is pre-Covid

Scally is always willing to work for what the club can afford. If he didn't then we'd have gone under and Scally would need to find another job.

As I have written before, my instinct is that Scally has probably chosen to defer any payments due to him and will only get paid in the future if finances return to pre-Covid levels. This is what most people in his position seem to be doing. Scally's problem is that he hasn't virtual signaled to people like yourself.

I have no proof, but with businessmen such as Paul Scally will normally have other irons in the fire. I doubt he is solely dependent on GFC for income.

I have no proof, but with businessmen such as Paul Scally will normally have other irons in the fire. I doubt he is solely dependent on GFC for income.
He told me that he was.
No other business interests.
Most business owners take their’wage’ from profits.
Paul takes his from gross income, before any profit or loss is declared.
He is allowed to do this but his wage could be added to any debt.
I’m not quite sure how he takes payments as he says that he charges a consultant fee.

As I have written before, my instinct is that Scally has probably chosen to defer any payments due to him and will only get paid in the future if finances return to pre-Covid levels. This is what most people in his position seem to be doing. Scally's problem is that he hasn't virtual signaled to people like yourself.

That’s “your instinct” Rob, and you are welcome to have it.

My instinct is that if Paul Scally had deferred any payments or even taken a pay cut then he would’ve mentioned it. Either through the club in one of his press releases to the fans (ooooops!) or in one of the interviews he has given to talksport/5live/sky or wherever else he can moan about lack of premier league help.

Not bashing him, just saying how I see it.

Hasn't Ehmer previously won various player of the year awards and has been typically in one of the runner up spots? I thought Ehmer was his usual reliable self.
Barry Fuller won Player of the Year last year 2019, Mark Byrne in 2018, Josh Wright in 2017, Bradley Dack in 2016. That’s as far back as I checked, he could have been runner up in some awards, not sure.

Barry Fuller won Player of the Year last year 2019, Mark Byrne in 2018, Josh Wright in 2017, Bradley Dack in 2016. That’s as far back as I checked, he could have been runner up in some awards, not sure.

Just checked and Ehmer won The Chairman's Cup several times rather than voted supporter's player of the year. He has been runner up on multiple occasions in the supporters vote.

Well done Connor very well deserved. His goal of the season was a great finish.

As for the chairmen being too busy to address the fans then that's shocking if true (not seen the video mysrlf). In other businesses if you treat your customers with contempt then they go elsewhere . That won't happen with football fans but its no way to treat us. Compare that to the way evans has communicated with fans during the season / covid.

Let's hope he has something important to say. He needs us on side more then ever.

#inthistogether

He did thank the fans for their support! I expect saving the club took priority!

This week I appreciated how Scally must be exasperated with the state of football.

I spoke with a headhunter who was recruiting for a senior back-office position at one of the top teams in the EFL Championship. He said that the owner is like a ‘kiddie in a sweet shop’ and just wants to ‘splash the cash’.

This is at a time where some clubs are struggling to survive. This is at a time when Gillingham has a 5-a-side squad. This is at a time when loads of people are losing their jobs.

Now - I’m not a leftie. I’m comfortable with inequality of outcomes as long as we have genuine equality of opportunity. But when the bottom rung of football and society is struggling so much, I did find it a little unpalatable for such excesses.

This week I appreciated how Scally must be exasperated with the state of football.

I spoke with a headhunter who was recruiting for a senior back-office position at one of the top teams in the EFL Championship. He said that the owner is like a ‘kiddie in a sweet shop’ and just wants to ‘splash the cash’.

This is at a time where some clubs are struggling to survive. This is at a time when Gillingham has a 5-a-side squad. This is at a time when loads of people are losing their jobs.

Now - I’m not a leftie. I’m comfortable with inequality of outcomes as long as we have genuine equality of opportunity. But when the bottom rung of football and society is struggling so much, I did find it a little unpalatable for such excesses.
Excesses like the figures being bandied about for Sancho.

Excesses like the figures being bandied about for Sancho.

I’d consider it a ‘market failure‘. The market is being distorted by a bunch of crazy billionaires.

On the other end of the spectrum you have Scally who runs the club like a business.

Perhaps, most worryingly, the other cohort is those teams who aren’t run by billionaires but gamble big time and, inevitably it results in defaults.

I agree that richer Premier League clubs appear not concerned by the position a lot of EFL clubs find themselves in. From their point of view all professional football clubs are individual businesses and have to stand alone. A number of Prem clubs understand that without the lower divisions they will lose one of the more important supply of players, and younger players gaining experience on loan before graduating to their first team. I doubt though that those clubs will persuade a majority to come to the aid of our clubs.

We can't afford not to take their players on loan, though I don't expect any kind of help from those so called English clubs. It is now more a case of foreign owned and staffed clubs based in England.