Connor Ogilvie | Page 2 | Vital Football

Connor Ogilvie

We will always lose a few but the vast majority will be very tolerant of anything the club does because we are emotionally attached.

What really annoys me is that it would be so easy to put a message out on social media. It wouldn't take an hour to do.

"Dear supporters I just wanted to update you on what's happening behind the scenes.......blah, blah. In terms of refunds on last years tickets please bare with us as we struggle through these difficulties. If anyone is in desperate need of a refund please call ............ we hope most of you will forgo any refund as cash is the lifeblood of any business and as you can imagine we have precious little income.

We are working on our safety plan's to permit fans into the ground as soon as we can. We believe that initially we are limited to approx ..........

Steve is working hard on recruitment and will update you regularly as he has throughout the summer (he's made me look really crap at communicating though hasn't he ! I know I need to do better and will do).

In terms of external investment....

In terms of the new stadium..........

We all need to stick together during these times.....

I committ to giving you a fortnightly update even if there is nothing new to report....

We are in this together

Love and kisses Paul"

Its that easy and that's why it's annoying that he doesn't.

Fancy a job as “head of pr/communications” Mark? 😉

FWIW I totally agree and have posted similar myself. Especially regarding the refund business. As I’ve mentioned before I think most of us (myself included) would waive any refund, but with Medway being a less than affluent area a refund however minimal could really help some people out.

I had 2 sets of concert tickets refunded to my credit card without even asking.
Ifollow refunded without even asking.
Kcc/stagecoach are refunding my daughters bus pass without asking.

Again, to not even mention the matter is bad form even for PSs standards.

I wouldn't last a week Rob !
It is the sort of thing it needs a average fan sitting on the board or having a say behind the scenes. The manager can't tell Scally how stupid X or Y is even if he believes it.Nor can anyone else someone giving honest advice without it costing them their job.Someone going in once a week to give honest opinion based on what he and a forum and stands are saying.He probably would not listen but if he ever agreed to have a fan representative that alone would help his public image.

Just out of interest, how many active members/users are on this board? Assuming we all use more than one forum I doubt there are more than a hundred or so individuals active on all forums. To think Paul Scally would be feel obliged to listen to representative of so few is a bit optimistic. I don't think PS believes any fan can to tell him anything he doesn't know already.

I don't think we really have a board Chris who decide the strategy and direction. The club in reality is owned by one man and he does what he thinks is right in my opinion.

Diversity is always a good thing but you have to be open to change, not sure GFC are. It is what it is.

The bottom line is I don't believe scally is that bothered about what the fans think. He knows we will go whatever as we are down to the hard core support now . As long as we keep paying out for tickets that's the input he needs from us

Just out of interest, how many active members/users are on this board? Assuming we all use more than one forum I doubt there are more than a hundred or so individuals active on all forums. To think Paul Scally would be feel obliged to listen to representative of so few is a bit optimistic. I don't think PS believes any fan can to tell him anything he doesn't know already.
I don’t use any other forum.
I don’t even look at other Gills forums or Facebook.
All the wise ones are on here.
That connect one is absolute crap, if it’s still going

You say that but I know two ex season ticket holders who did just that .One a south Londoner who still had his heart elsewhere admittedly. Who joins a friend who does private commentary for a blind supporter at Ebbsfleet.Another who now watches Chatham both are down to Scally. Sorry they are not the majority but they are a significant number of fans .Many including Scally will tell them to sod off .But we need all fans not just the ones that tick every box that Scally or anyone else puts in front of them.A lot of Chairman are not ideal I get that but Scally seems to go out of his way to be mistrusted by fans and this a a perfect example of why.The die hard fan will never support another team.But they can stop going altogether.But for some including myself can watch any team at a lower level just for the football. Having a friend who is a very good non league referee has meant I have been to quite a few local grounds and games over the last few years.
Then please continue to go to non league and give us all a break.

Then please continue to go to non league and give us all a break.
Could be another reason why we struggle to build on the crowds we have .When you have a chairman and fans keen to see Gillingham fans going elsewhere.

Hope you are right Bud but I really can't see him wearing Gillingham blue next season. We should get offers and I can't see us saying no.

I don't think we can afford to say no, which unfortunately means we will end up with a deal that's less lucrative than it would have been 6 months ago.

Notice that all the defensive position winners did not include departed Captain Max Ehmer. He was good, but arguably only our 3rd/4th best defender last season.
I'm amazed Max didnt get the praise he deserved for a great season; definitely our best defender - spent much time covering the other 3 - Ogilivie was better but made regular mistakes and Tucker whilst promising made rookie errors; both covered by Max. If the management feel like most fans on here then I'm sure Max was right to move on

I'm amazed Max didnt get the praise he deserved for a great season; definitely our best defender - spent much time covering the other 3 - Ogilivie was better but made regular mistakes and Tucker whilst promising made rookie errors; both covered by Max. If the management feel like most fans on here then I'm sure Max was right to move on
Whatever order you judge them in. Our defence was our best quality in the team. If that was simply down to Evans and not the ability of the players then he should be able to recover from losing a few or even all of our back four before the start of the season. With so many players available budget will of course require fewer errors than the clubs with bigger budgets.But the players will be there that will almost certainly mean there will be a few surprises in terms of league positions in the lower divisions.
If we end in the top half Evans will rightly take credit for that.

Well it’s all about opinions isn’t it.
Max was good in most games, but I thought Ogilvie and Tucker were better personally. It was his best season for us by far in the 5-6 years he’s been here.
He was poor under Pennock but then most of the team was. Started playing better when Lovell became manager, but his lapses in concentration have cost us umpteen goals over the years.
I think he’s earned his right to move on though, I’m sure Rovers with their moneybags owners would have offered him higher wages than we could afford COVID or not.

Could be another reason why we struggle to build on the crowds we have .When you have a chairman and fans keen to see Gillingham fans going elsewhere.
Or you have Gillingham ‘fans’ who are itching for an excuse to not go to our games.

Or you have Gillingham ‘fans’ who are itching for an excuse to not go to our games.
Scally and some fans should ask themselves why?
If there are more fans like One sir Keith who along with many other excepts things as they are and trys to build bridges.There are a growing number like Phil Kite unfortunately (see above posting). I sat on the fence on Scally for many years but for me he has in recent times gone too far.Others have reached that point long ago.
Given that there can often be long waits for unemployment money.Scally's actions are very wrong while a big majority might be able to swallow any loss.Not to address the problem with a statement after months is wrong. There are many other examples. As has been said Steve Evans to his great credit has made efforts to do what is right.Our chairman it staggering to say it could learn from Steve Evans. Some of our fans seems comfortable driving fans away.A example above but certainly nowhere near the first I have encountered. I stopped travelling on supporters coaches because I don't enjoy it because of certain people.That of course is not open to me when I move to Suffolk anyway.But I doubt I am the only one.

Last edited:
You say that but I know two ex season ticket holders who did just that .One a south Londoner who still had his heart elsewhere admittedly. Who joins a friend who does private commentary for a blind supporter at Ebbsfleet.Another who now watches Chatham both are down to Scally. Sorry they are not the majority but they are a significant number of fans .Many including Scally will tell them to sod off .But we need all fans not just the ones that tick every box that Scally or anyone else puts in front of them.A lot of Chairman are not ideal I get that but Scally seems to go out of his way to be mistrusted by fans and this a a perfect example of why.The die hard fan will never support another team.But they can stop going altogether.But for some including myself can watch any team at a lower level just for the football. Having a friend who is a very good non league referee has meant I have been to quite a few local grounds and games over the last few years.

The ex season ticket holder who watches Chatham Town is going to be in for a treat when the fans are allowed back in! They have gone in a very short time from hoofing it up field to the possession based controlled football that Scott Lindsey instigated at FGR when they were non league! They will win the league this season! Won 9-0 yesterday in their first pre season game!

The ex season ticket holder who watches Chatham Town is going to be in for a treat when the fans are allowed back in! They have gone in a very short time from hoofing it up field to the possession based controlled football that Scott Lindsey instigated at FGR when they were non league! They will win the league this season! Won 9-0 yesterday in their first pre season game!
Unfortunately there are about half a dozen ex Gills fans watching Chatham.

Unfortunately there are about half a dozen ex Gills fans watching Chatham.

Nothing unfortunate about it! They are going to see some great football! I will be down when fans are back to watch them!

Chris, I know some of these people. There are some with genuine reasons for the boycott - either because Steve Evans is here and they feel he shouldn’t be in football after his past convictions. There are others who have genuine concerns over the new stadium, which along with his salary lead to genuine questions being asked of his reasons for leading the club. He pays himself too much - perhaps £50k more than he should? That wouldn’t pay a player’s wages.

But for every one of those there are many supporters who simply don’t want to go to Gills anymore. “I don’t like Scally” is the Gillingham supporter’s “Taking back control” motto. I’ve heard many say “I don’t go to Gills now as I don’t like Scally. Also, I can’t afford it/can’t make it to many games now”. One refuses to go after demanding some free posters after buying two Gills shirts, and was refused. Others have banning orders or have mates with banning orders.

A boycott just sounds better, it gives the impression they still somewhat care.