new signing to be announced today | Page 4 | Vital Football

new signing to be announced today

Can see it now...Ryan Jackson will be on top form for the first dozen games, then one error and dopey chris wont shut the fuck up about it until he leaves the club!
I have never singled out a player for abuse. I do give my honest opinion. If that goes against the majority on here so be it.Had Evans just got rid of Jackson I am certain most would agree with it and say he wasn't good enough.This is about your belief in Evans not a belief that Jackson is better that Fuller. If Evans had made to other judgement you would agree with that.

What are you on about Fuller is a good league one player that's it.Jackson to my knowledge has never proven himself at this level Perhaps Evan's is right only games will tell .But I feel that in my judgement it is a poor signing. The fact that Evan's gave up on Fuller before might just be could his judgement. IE he was too old then.Sorry based on there performances for us that I have seen there really is no contest.i do wonder if Evan's has seen Jackson in this league before if he had would have signed him?
If you think that there’s some gulf in class between L1 and L2 you’re kidding yourself. One of the games last season in which we looked seriously second best was against Colchester in the Mickey Mouse cup. If you think signing one of the better performing players in the league below ours isn’t a decent realistic way forward, I’ll confine myself to saying I’m surprised.

I really hope Fuller stays because I am totally convinced he will again prove the lot of you wrong. If he goes I am sure he probably will drop down so you will all be comfortable that you were correct.Fitness was probably the reason Bayo leaving wasn't seen as a backward step .But he has since proved people wrong. Fuller will do the same if he chooses to.

If you think that there’s some gulf in class between L1 and L2 you’re kidding yourself. One of the games last season in which we looked seriously second best was against Colchester in the Mickey Mouse cup. If you think signing one of the better performing players in the league below ours isn’t a decent realistic way forward, I’ll confine myself to saying I’m surprised.
There is a gulf in class of course their might be two of three useful sides in league two but most are miles away from the top half of league one .If we are talking relegation bound clubs against those coming up of course are probably better .For that vast majority there is a gulf.Same as for example Andy Hessenthaler's last Gillingham side and the one we had last season.

What are you on about Fuller is a good league one player that's it.Jackson to my knowledge has never proven himself at this level

If you're expecting all of our signings to be proven league one players then you're going to be disappointed mate, we don't have that sort of budget. What we do have is a management team with contacts and experience to get the basics of a decent squad together. Crucially unlike some recent managers with good contacts, SE and PR also have the coaching ability to build a good team looking up rather than down.

If you're expecting all of our signings to be proven league one players then you're going to be disappointed mate, we don't have that sort of budget. What we do have is a management team with contacts and experience to get the basics of a decent squad together. Crucially unlike some recent managers with good contacts, SE and PR also have the coaching ability to build a good team looking up rather than down.
No I am not expecting a lot but if you make a first signing and in my view he is worse than what you have in that position already it doesn't exactly thrill me.We had a good defensive set up last season and most if not all could be gone by the time the season starts .The first replacement is not as good in my view.If we are able to keep Ogilvie and Tucker perhaps Jackson can be less if a problem. But if we are going for a young team and Jackson is one of our few senior players then that doesn't sound like something I want to celebrate.

I think some people need to calm down a bit. If this had been trumpeted as our star signing, yes it would have been a bit of a letdown. However, it's just the first of many. Ryan will be a perfectly decent addition to the squad and I expect our management team to improve him.

Never proven at L1 level, yet was a major part of the team that got our highest finish since the championship days.

How do you know he's no better than we already have?
If Fuller were to regress this season at the same rate he has from 2018/19 to this past season then we're in trouble and I doubt you've been watching Colchester closely over the past two seasons.

Unless something is already settled with Fuller or Hobson then I do think that is a serious reason with a tight budget why you don't sign a right back until you know 100% you have the remaining budget left.

Isn’t that called Hobson’s Choice? :tophat:

Chris, is there anything the club can do that will make you happy?

For what it's worth I'm pleased with the signing.
You have your view I have mine.Whatever the right and wrong of Jackson if you have very limited funds you don't start with having 3 right backs.

You have your view I have mine.Whatever the right and wrong of Jackson if you have very limited funds you don't start with having 3 right backs.
Absolutely and having a view is fine. It's just that it's totally predictable what it'll be. Since Lovell left (I can't remember before) it's guaranteed that you will be negative about it. Much like in politics whenever the Tories do something you know someone from Labour will say its a mistake.

We don't know that the other right backs won't leave, the season is 6 weeks away, don't get too annoyed about the squad now.

Last edited:
Absolutely and having a view is fine. It's just that it's totally predictable what it'll be. Since Lovell left (I can't remember before) it's guaranteed that you will be negative about it. Much like in politics whenever the Tories do something you know someone from Labour will say its a mistake.

We don't know that the other right backs won't leave, the season is 6 weeks away, don't get to annoyed about the squad now.
For me it is one thing giving up on Hobson who has never looked like becoming a first teamer.Another giving up twice now on a guy who gives everything in every game.I think it is wrong to force him to leave .Which if Fuller is genuinely worried about the future of Gills then he is.If Fuller has agreed to go then fine give Jackson a chance. But if not in my view it is the wrong way to act.

I have never singled out a player for abuse. I do give my honest opinion. If that goes against the majority on here so be it.Had Evans just got rid of Jackson I am certain most would agree with it and say he wasn't good enough.This is about your belief in Evans not a belief that Jackson is better that Fuller. If Evans had made to other judgement you would agree with that.

Absolutely nothing to do Evans! I have always rated Ryan Jackson!

Maybe I have misjudged you but I would say almost certainly that is what is driving a lot of opinion against Barry Fuller and for Ryan Jackson.

Chris, I’m not sure it’s a lot of sentiment AGAINST Baz. Many fans (myself included) wouldn't moan if Barry Fuller was our first choice RB this season. He’s quality.

But even 2 years ago a lot of fans thought Barry Fuller was possibly getting too old. Evans thought the same 1 year ago but Baz proved them/us all wrong last season.

It’s just that now Baz is yet another year older. SE has flagged that he thinks he slowed down a bit and was starting to show it.

I don’t think anyone would like to see Barry Fuller go on a year too long. If anything it’s best to go out a year too early. SE has made that call. It’s his job to do these things.

Personally I think it’s possibly the right call, but we will never know unless Barry makes his way back into the side and goes great again. And if Barry Fuller IS good enough he’ll pick up another side and play well.

And Ryan Jackson is certainly a capable replacement. He’s younger by 4 or 5 years, he’s definitely quicker, he’s been quality for 2 years in one of the better L2 sides, and despite you saying he’s not proven at L1 level, he most certainly is. He proved himself for a season and a half with us as being very good. I remember when he was released a lot of people thought it was the wrong move.

If it’s true that defensively he’s not as good as Fuller, I’m sure Evans will get that part sorted. He certainly improved all our defenders last season.

Bottom line is, Steve Evans has made the call and it’s his job to improve us. I trust him to do that. After all he improved a squad last season that lost the best striker and best keeper in the league for nowt. He knows what he’s doing.