new signing to be announced today | Page 2 | Vital Football

new signing to be announced today

Initial reaction was one of disappointment, but giving it some thought I’m coming round to it. Jackson was a decent enough performer when he played at this level before, he is quick, he is powerful, and he has a massive throw.

Last edited:
What do the Colchester fans say? From my memory I thought he was quite a stand-out player for them in the play-offs. I’m always up for a lower league signing if they were stand-out players or otherwise kids with a high ceiling.

What do the Colchester fans say? From my memory I thought he was quite a stand-out player for them in the play-offs. I’m always up for a lower league signing if they were stand-out players or otherwise kids with a high ceiling.
Strange that Colchester declined to offer another contract. If he was good they would of at least made an offer. But no offer at all - if true - is a worry.

I hope his concentration levels have increased since his last spell with us. I always thought he tended to switch off at times and he played at the time when we could not buy a clean sheet.

Pretty decent player otherwise, particularly on the overlap.
I would prefer a defender who can defend personally. But maybe Evans can sort all of his problems as he did with Ogilvie. A massive ask.Even if he does I still think the experience of Fuller would be preferable. Fuller might stay and fight him off frankly if he does this signing could be similar to Cisse and Hobson.

a 30 year old right back. That's a "younger signing"! A league 2 player signed for a league one club. FFS!
Is this a serious comment? Do we really need to remind you of the many many hundreds and thousands of players who successfully move up from league 2 to league 1. Particularly those who already have experience playing in league 1 (with us too!), and particularly those that have been stand out players for successful league 2 teams too.

Seriously wx do you just have a book of moronic Arsenal fan tv style cliches?

If you dont feel he's good enough for various reasons, state that and back it up with evidence/facts. But to discount a player apparently purely because they came from a league 2 team is mad.

Glad Scally didnt think that about Eaves.

Last edited:
I would prefer a defender who can defend personally. But maybe Evans can sort all of his problems as he did with Ogilvie. A massive ask.Even if he does I still think the experience of Fuller would be preferable. Fuller might stay and fight him off frankly if he does this signing could be similar to Cisse and Hobson.
Have we asked any Colchester fans whether he’s sorted out this part of his game?

Have we asked any Colchester fans whether he’s sorted out this part of his game?
If he has it is against league two players even if Colchester were one of the better sides he was still defending against Macclesfield and Morecambe.

If he has it is against league two players even if Colchester were one of the better sides he was still defending against Macclesfield and Morecambe.
James Milner hardly got a kick this season and he’s getting on a bit.
Bloody glad we haven’t signed him.
He couldn’t even get in their side 😉

Cheer up Chris. At the risk of overlapping this thread with the kids' TV one, it's like listening to Eeyore when you're in this kind of mood.

We've got a RB who's by all accounts been one of the best players at a team who did pretty well last year in L2, he's younger than Fuller (who, good as he may be, isn't getting any younger), and who knows the club well and won't therefore have too many problems settling in.

You've been telling us all for ages about how we're looking at reduced budgets, smaller squads, etc. Given those restraints, we could've done a lot worse. Let's just trust Evans to know what he's doing and what kind of players he wants, eh?

I’m all for a proper debate on new signings discussing strengths weaknesses, opportunities and concerns. I’d love to hear Colchester fans’ opinions on specifically his defending. I like the sound of his play going forwards though.

What frustrates me is there are people, particularly on social media, who have a negative mindset. With every club announcement someone’s thinking “right, what’s the first negative I can find”. They’ll post one or two sentences only, saying:

Signing a young kid from above: “he’s inexperienced. We need experience to get us through these times, players who’ll hit the ground running”

Signing a stand-out player from a league below or Scotland: “he’s only done that vs [name the bottom two/smallest teams]. Non-league rubbish”

Signing a fellow League 1 player: “Why didn’t they re-sign him, then?”

We’re going to be doing this another 10 or so times, aren’t we?