Covid 19 | Page 8 | Vital Football

Covid 19

Just read that scientists are advising Boris Johnson to "stay calm" over fears of the dreaded second wave saying there's no need to panic.
Begs the question, if he fears the wave but doesn't impose another lockdown because of scientist's advice, who will be to blame for all the deaths if the wave comes?
Conversely, if he imposes a lockdown causing more financial strife, but many fewer deaths, will he be slated for that?

F***ed if I'd do his job

We had quite a bit of debate about mortality rates and how the UK compared across Europe earlier in the pandemic. We sort of agreed that it was too early to be certain and that excess mortality rates over a 5 year average was a fairer comparison. It is now clear that we did worse than all other European countries over the period February to mid June. Thankfully we seem to be more in control of the situation and hopefully we will avoid a similar situation in any uplift.

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2020/07/30/how-does-the-coronavirus-pandemic-compare-across-europe/

We had quite a bit of debate about mortality rates and how the UK compared across Europe earlier in the pandemic. We sort of agreed that it was too early to be certain and that excess mortality rates over a 5 year average was a fairer comparison. It is now clear that we did worse than all other European countries over the period February to mid June. Thankfully we seem to be more in control of the situation and hopefully we will avoid a similar situation in any uplift.

https://blog.ons.gov.uk/2020/07/30/how-does-the-coronavirus-pandemic-compare-across-europe/
I think these sort of comparisons will go on for some time yet, it still doesn't explain how Russia can have 3 times more cases than us, yet barely over a quarter of the deaths. They make a mention to age and health in their calculations, but don't explain how they use that to change the result. India have got 5 times more cases than us, yet again significantly lower deaths.
I don't think we will ever get any true answer as to the differences, we just need to pray we've seen the worst.

I still venture that five years from now variation in national outcomes will not seem very significant, the role of public servants and governments in producing them will not seem very important, and that people will conclude that the virus found a way of doing its thing sooner or later whatever we tried.

It seems to me that until we have a handle on the number of people who have had it -either symptomatically or asymptomatically, we’ve no base line from which to scale things and argue about them.

I still venture that five years from now variation in national outcomes will not seem very significant, the role of public servants and governments in producing them will not seem very important, and that people will conclude that the virus found a way of doing its thing sooner or later whatever we tried.

It seems to me that until we have a handle on the number of people who have had it -either symptomatically or asymptomatically, we’ve no base line from which to scale things and argue about them.
Current figures I've read vary between 1 in 7 to 1 in 14 in the UK have had it.
Counting criteria seem to be getting more and more confusing. A colleague told me today that his wife was ill in March but not with classic covid19 symptoms, she works for the NHS and has just had the antibody test which came back positive so seems she had it in March
She's been told that she will be counted as a positive covid test for this week. How does that make sense? Maybe with so many antibody tests being done recently, it may explain some spikes here or there?

Clearly an anti Muslim action by this fascist racist Tory government intent on stopping these persecuted individuals from celebrating Eid.

Clearly an anti Muslim action by this fascist racist Tory government intent on stopping these persecuted individuals from celebrating Eid.

The mosques remain open while the majority suffer restrictions.
The problems in Gtr Manchester are in the Pakistani communities in Oldham and Rochdale , so why not just lockdown those specific areas ?
Political correctness and fear of upsetting Islam means everyone must suffer.

Certainly spikes in muslim areas but by no means exclusively there. Some pretend that muslims make their own rules up while encouraging others to do exactly that. No amount of distraction, time and obfuscation will erase the fact of our early mistakes. Good that the government now appears to be paying attention and acting swiftly. Now they need to communicate more effectively and consistently.

Where's Tommy? Is he now officially an immigrant and is he obeying quarantine rules?

Some pretend that muslims make their own rules up

Some pretend they don't.
(Including the Govt.)
Some believe that a certain religion is being appeased in the name of cultural sensitivity.

Is there anyone who really knows what is going on ?

Some pretend they don't.
(Including the Govt.)
Some believe that a certain religion is being appeased in the name of cultural sensitivity.

Are you shielding Tommy, we should be told.

It's nothing to do with islam it's a worlwide pandemic. All religions are being "appeased" as all places of worship are open. In fact all the evidence suggests that most infections are taking place inside homes.

We need Public Health Officers and local councils spreading information and administrating test track and trace in their own localities. They know who live s where and under what conditions. They have the contacts and local knowledge. Unfortunately our government has failed to share information with local councils and officials on the ground and has awarded huge track and trace contracts to private operators with a long history of failure. That is what is going on.

Some pretend they don't.
(Including the Govt.)

People from different backgrounds live differently Val.
For example, when I lived in Kent, I lived in a cul de sac of about 18 houses.
There was four lovely Polish families lived in the close.
They always met outside for a chat, even in the winter, they rarely went into each others houses as we do.
They would happily stand in the road talking and when I mentioned it to my neighbour, he said that’s how they do it in Poland.
People from different backgrounds have different ways of living.
It’s their normal.

It's nothing to do with islam it's a worlwide pandemic.
It never is, is it? It always "just happens to be" the 5%

Anyways, it doesn't really affect me (or you), so I'm not that bothered

" I'm not that bothered " Except you are, you just have to keep picking that scab. Anway that's too many words; we need a 3 word slogan so:

"Am I bothered?" or "Not that bothered."

It's nothing to do with islam it's a worlwide pandemic. All religions are being "appeased" as all places of worship are open. In fact all the evidence suggests that most infections are taking place inside homes.

We need Public Health Officers and local councils spreading information and administrating test track and trace in their own localities. They know who live s where and under what conditions. They have the contacts and local knowledge. Unfortunately our government has failed to share information with local councils and officials on the ground and has awarded huge track and trace contracts to private operators with a long history of failure. That is what is going on.
I will say I don't agree with VG in any way, but equally your accusations of government collusion with private test companies is also rubbish, and where is the proof that the local councils aren't being kept informed.
Far too much false information being stated as fact.