Live concerts/gigs | Page 7 | Vital Football

Live concerts/gigs

Just been doing some nostalgic trawling of music on youtube and came across The Three Degrees. Reminded me that we saw them at Trentham Gardens in 1982, They were bloody good, but an unusual feature is that they had hand towels, and between each couple of numbers would wipe the sweat off their faces - shows how much energy they put into their performances

Just remembered Captain Sensible at Grafton Hose about 1996 ish? That was a fun gig. Fat lip from mosh pit.
A cracking night! I remember the Captain being amazed at just how enthusiastic the crowd was. He made a comment along the lines of "Don't you see many bands in Lincoln?", to which every one shouted "No", which was true. Lincoln was a real waste land in the mid 1990s so far as visiting bands were concerned.

Started my gigging at the Drill Hall around 16 years old:

SLF
Stranglers
Boomtown Rats
The Damned
Magazine
The Members
Girl School
Cat Stevens
Fleetwood Mac
Bowie
Jack Johnson
The Corrs
Guns n Roses
Thin Lizzy
Elvis Costello
Amy McDonald
Genesis
Billy Idol
The Darkness
Kiss
Devo
Springsteen
Roxy Music
The Pretenders
Queen
ELO
Black Star Riders

Loads more, that I can’t remember...😀
Saw Girlschool, Vardis, Tank, Angelwitch (still got their single Angelwitch, which I bought on the night - a NWOBHM classic!), the excellent Budgie and Diamond Head at the Drill Hall. Could have seen Iron Maiden there too, just before they had their first hit Running Free (Paul D'Ianno was their lead singer in those days), but decided to go to the South Park "Pleasure" Fair instead. Seemed the right choice at the time! The one gig I did regret not seeing.

Yes, I wish I'd seen Maiden in the early days. For me, the first two albums with Di'Anno on vocals were easily the best. Had a raw, almost punky edge at times.

Saw Girlschool, Vardis, Tank, Angelwitch (still got their single Angelwitch, which I bought on the night - a NWOBHM classic!), the excellent Budgie and Diamond Head at the Drill Hall. Could have seen Iron Maiden there too, just before they had their first hit Running Free (Paul D'Ianno was their lead singer in those days), but decided to go to the South Park "Pleasure" Fair instead. Seemed the right choice at the time! The one gig I did regret not seeing.

Budgie were (are?) terrific...

Talking of gigs I wish i had gone to are Soundgarden at Rock City circa 1992 an Pearl Jam around same time had ticket but couldn't be arsed to drive to Nottingham. Just missed out on Nirvana the year before. Mate went down but had out. Nevermind. I dont think they amounted to much. 😬. One gig I went to which I did get to was Bucks Fizz. Took a lot of therapy to own up to that one.

Seen a few bands over the years.

Black Sabbath twice (once Dio, other Ozzie) at Leeds Queens Hall and Sheffield Arena respectively. Saw Dio at Southampton Gaumont. Stewards tried to keep every one in their seats...no chance. Saw Ozzie by himself at Leeds Queens Hall and Leeds University. Concert at Leeds University one of best I ever went to. As soon as he came on stage every one in the crowd, from front to back, started bouncing up and down and didn't stop until after the gig finished. Fantastic atmosphere.
Saw the Stones in 1982 at Roundhay Park. Thought they were old boys then, but boy they knew how to rock!
Another couple of memorable concerts were Deep Purple and Oasis at Knebworth. Bottle fight at The Purple was one of the biggest I ever witnessed. You couldn't see the sky for them. I was stood next to a Yank airman from the nearby USAF base at Alconbury. He couldn't believe his eyes at what was going on, but it was just a regular feature of concert going in those days. Great fun, until you took a half full bottle of God knows what in the face! No laughing matter then.
Was at the Nostell Priory concert in the mid 1980's on the day the Hippy Convoy had their infamous battle with the local constabulary. I'd gone home long before then, though. Marillion headlined. Alvin Lee of Ten Years After did a set. Try listening to their album Cricklewood Green. A rock masterpiece. Bizarrely, it was on the Air Sri Lanka playlist on a flight I got back from Cololmbo a couple of years ago. Phil Lynott's Grand Slam were on the same bill. What I liked about this concert was the sheer informality of it. You could wander right up to the stage and talk to the stage crew as they were setting up for the next act.
Other acts include Lindisfarne at The Lincoln Ritz (old Odeon). They did a Xmas gig for at least 2 years running which were always well attended. Saw Meatloaf in Portsmouth at the Guildhall and UFO and Eric Clapton on his Money and Cigarettes Tour at Poole Arts Centre, both in '83.
Saw the Quo at Birmingham NEC in 1981. An absolutely, stunning performance. Saw them at their End of the Road Tour at the Milton Keynes Bowl. Was so convinced they were telling the truth that I bought a t-shirt!
Other bands seen over the years include Clannad, Bryan Adams, Saxon, Gillan and Mama's Boys. Probably seen a few more, but can't remember now.
Did Monsters of Rock in 1984. AC DC, Ozzie and Van Halen headlined. Not a bad line up that.
Lincoln had a very varied music scene in the early 1980s, even if it was a bit of a backwater as regards to major acts playing here. Young people then seemed to define themselves much more by the music they listened to. There was a strong punk, heavy rock, mod, etc scene that made for the occasional interesting Saturday afternoon on the High Street! Things seem a lot more sedate now in comparison.

Last edited:
Talking of gigs I wish i had gone to are Soundgarden at Rock City circa 1992 an Pearl Jam around same time had ticket but couldn't be arsed to drive to Nottingham. Just missed out on Nirvana the year before. Mate went down but had out. Nevermind. I dont think they amounted to much. 😬. One gig I went to which I did get to was Bucks Fizz. Took a lot of therapy to own up to that one.
Did you take a lot of time Making Your Mind Up :lol::grinning:

Not seen live but wish I had after just watching the Freedom documentary type programme on George Michael, fantastic voice, fantastic talent and gone too soon.

He's not my cup of tea at all, but I think that, after Wham!, he managed to re-invent himself as a decent pop-soul type singer with a not unpleasant voice.

That leads me on to thinking about songs you like..... but shouldn't...I love Floyd, Boston, Be bop deluxe, Rainbow and many others of that ilk but one of my favourite songs of all time is the Elton John classic Your Song sung by Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman from the film Moulin Rouge.

That leads me on to thinking about songs you like..... but shouldn't...I love Floyd, Boston, Be bop deluxe, Rainbow and many others of that ilk but one of my favourite songs of all time is the Elton John classic Your Song sung by Ewan McGregor and Nicole Kidman from the film Moulin Rouge.

Cracking film, and still can't understand why it didn't get awards for its choreography. Lady Marmalade was a tremendous song/dance and I also thought Roxanne was a great interpretation of that song

Oasis just before they became big, Supergrass, Pulp, The Boo Roadleys, The Charlatans, Electrofixion and Black Grape in the 90s, New Order, Gary Numan and Madonna in the 80s.