Johan Lange Thread | Page 2 | Vital Football

Johan Lange Thread

He needs to two two things for me -
  1. Find experienced players of PL standard that meet Dean's requirements right now so we can embed in the PL in this coming season
  2. Bring forward a stream of potential gems for development in seasons 2,3,4 which again meet Dean's requirements and his system of play

He needs to two two things for me -
  1. Find experienced players of PL standard that meet Dean's requirements right now so we can embed in the PL in this coming season
  2. Bring forward a stream of potential gems for development in seasons 2,3,4 which again meet Dean's requirements and his system of play
So you reckon Dean will still be here in 2,3,4 seasons time? Nice!

Reading an article about him two things struck me:
1. He says the same things that Wes Edens does, its all about having a strong playing style, a strong culture and consistency. So Edens is all over this and Lange reports to the board.
2. He knows England through being at Wolves and he clearly has a method of operating that ensures everyone is on the same page.

Here's hoping he succeeds.

I wonder who came up with him? Has to be Purslow I suppose the owners wouldn't know where to look . Not that I would

Our new technical director. Fabulous appointment and he reports to the board! https://www.skysports.com/football/...r-triumphs-johan-lange-explains-their-success
Thanks for the link, interesting read.

It does make me worry a bit that we’ll be pursuing a buy low, sell high ‘moneyball’ approach. However, the owners are saying how ambitious they still are and they have certainly backed up the talk with the money so far. Let’s hope this is a stroke of genius! As always I reserve judgement though, considering who he follows wasn’t the shrewdest appointment.

So you reckon Dean will still be here in 2,3,4 seasons time? Nice!

Haha.

Seriously though you bring in a Sporting Dir to plan for longer than one manager's tenure, to put something sustainable in place - thats the overriding objective of the role.

That way when Dean does get fired, whether in the coming season, or the one after, we have the basis of a good PL squad in place for the next coach/ manager.

ie in the way Brentford have thrived after Dean left - we need to plan to do the same.

I wonder who came up with him? Has to be Purslow I suppose the owners wouldn't know where to look . Not that I would

maybe there's a database full of stats on the scouts who look at databases full of stats etc

done quick enough I guess - maybe there is a plan of some sort

Hopefully if he is used to selling players at much higher prices, he can identify which of our potential targets are over-priced and under talented?

Hopefully if he is used to selling players at much higher prices, he can identify which of our potential targets are over-priced and under talented?

It's basically a bloke from the lower leagues who can spot a player worth 800k and sell him for 9m

Hopefully, he can spot a 10m player who will be worth 50m in two years and that's a different level .
Spotting players like Douglass Luiz before man city do

From what I read he has pulled players from both Eastern Europe and South America and his philosophy is to build the team to fit the system that is played and that means the system has to remain consistent over the years. Good appointment and his first test is already here! I hope he is very successful with us )

Spoiler alert: dampener coming up...

He's only one half of the equation. If you look at why he's successful at Copenhagen, it's because they're a relatively big club in a small league, so it's very easy to instill a winning culture at the club. Players are expected to be winners, players have the opportunity to be winners, and that's a big part of their development. They get to play in the Europa League year after year. Clubs who buy their players know that.

So for it to work here we have to instill a winning mentality, not a hanging on by fingertips mentality. That's the other half of the equation, and possibly, considering the league we play in, the more difficult one. We have quite a few internationals on our books who aren't exactly thriving.

So, he unearths some gems. Do they actually get the sort of development here that's needed? Or are they labelled not good enough for the PL? Are we going to revamp the environment so that it's the former?

Last edited: