Ex -Gills in the move | Page 2 | Vital Football

Ex -Gills in the move

The progress of Ogilvie and Tucker .Our loan players and the other players left behind by Lovell were the main reasons for our success. The first two reasons does give Evans credit for the job he did.
How many of those players did Lovell sign? Fuller and Hanlan

The progress of Ogilvie and Tucker .Our loan players and the other players left behind by Lovell were the main reasons for our success. The first two reasons does give Evans credit for the job he did.

Perhaps my point wasn’t clear.

As a manager, you still need a good network to get the right loan players in. I don’t think Pennock or Lovell had that. Evans does.

Like other have said, most of Evans permanent signings have performed well. There will always be exceptions, but Evans has had relatively few when you compare with Pennock and Lovell.

I’m not convinced that Evans has a bigger budget than previous managers. The squad is very small. We’ve used the loan market more aggressively and hopefully got a good deal with parent clubs. Plus we have very few senior players - so you’d expect the average salary per player to be quite low.

As a manager, you still need a good network to get the right loan players in. I don’t think Pennock or Lovell had that. Evans does.

Like other have said, most of Evans permanent signings have performed well. There will always be exceptions, but Evans has had relatively few when you compare with Pennock and Lovell.

I’m not convinced that Evans has a bigger budget than previous managers. The squad is very small. We’ve used the loan market more aggressively and hopefully got a good deal with parent clubs. Plus we have very few senior players - so you’d expect the average salary per player to be quite low.
I simply said that Evans spent more on loans which he almost certainly did.I didn't say he had a bigger budget. We may know in time if this is fact or fiction. But certainly this season the budget will be very small indeed.Unless we sell someone it could be the lowest in real terms we have ever had as a league club. But I am sure there will be many clubs in the same position.
"Most of Evans permanent signings have performed well "seriously if you say so. I am not convinced without the serious input of others the Evans signings and more of similar qualities would not have been good enough to get us anywhere near where we finished. That is the area that he will have to really improve if we are to progress.

Last edited:

So seriously who would you put in your top five best players last season?

I think it important to consider the effect Evans had on player performances, for me it was Ehmer’s best season and Ogilvie was a different player, You could credit him for Tucker too. The best players last season for me were Ogilvie, Tucker, Ehmer, Hanlan and Bonham.

Last edited:

I take it you would be well happy if we can sign players of similar quality of our permanent signings last summer?

Great signing by Ebbsfleet, how come they've got so much money so suddenly when they've struggled to pay the wages and bills regularly?

I didn't want Martin to leave Gills, thought he was one of our best players.

I think that our level your manager’s contact book is key. If they’ve got a decent reputation they have a better chance than getting players to sign compared to managers who don’t.

By the same token bigger clubs are more likely to trust managers they know with their u23 prospects

But I remember other managers have had successful players as well.There are many who would be happy to see all but O'Keefe go if we had that opportunity. Bonham and Mandron have been OK.None of the permanent signings would be in the top five for player of the year.

I don't understand your first comment there, Chris. Of course other managers have had successful players, but we're not talking about other managers. You said only Evans' loan signings were a success, I just pointed out some of his permanent signings that I'd also consider a success.

I would've had Bonham in my top 5 for player of the season. May be in the minority on this, I don't know, but I think he's an upgrade on Holy, who was forgiven a lot due to being a cult favourite. I think Bonham's a more reliable keeper though, less prone to a clanger.

Mandron had a slow start, but I think he was starting to show real promise towards the end. A look at the sides he's been linked with now he's out of contract suggest he could be moving upwards rather than sideways if he leaves us.

Didn’t Evans sign Ogilvie permanently?
Yes agreed he did hard to remember as he had been around a fair time. Ogilvie was the big improver of the season for sure and credit has to go to Evans for that.But it also could be self motivation after being released by Spurs. I do think a lot of players like Ogilvie at big clubs think they have already made it .Willock could be a interesting one this season now Manchester United is now a fantastic but fading memory.If fitness allows he should be a very different person by now.That should help Evans with getting the best out of him.It is no coincidence that the majority of Premier league reserves never make it past that point in their careers for all the talent they often possess.

The way I see it even the top managers sign the odd duffer, a player may simply not fit into a system or feel happy in an environment which will impact on their performances. On a whole given that Evans is working on a small budget he dramatically improved on the calibre of player signed in previous years. Looking back on a season where the team were both resilient and cohesive most players performed regularly opposed to being heavily reliant on the odd player to pull up trees like bygone seasons. I struggled with my top five players, Alfie jones and Barry fuller could have easily have made that list, and I’m a big fan of o’Keefe who works tirelessly and brakes down a lot of the opposition play often going unnoticed. Is it coincidental that Ehmer, Ogilvie, Byrne and Fuller were playing their best football for the club? Then there’s the emergence of Tucker who looked every bit a future star, credit to the Big man I think.

Last edited:
You’re correct there 93
Just look at the amount of big clubs who sign up players from minor countries after they have had a good World Cup, just to fade back in to obscurity and never make the team.
Even a few very expensive and high profile players have had duffers at one club, only to move on and do well.
It’s a bit of a lottery at any level.
I’d say that overall, Evans has done pretty well.

You’re correct there 93
Just look at the amount of big clubs who sign up players from minor countries after they have had a good World Cup, just to fade back in to obscurity and never make the team.
Even a few very expensive and high profile players have had duffers at one club, only to move on and do well.
It’s a bit of a lottery at any level.
I’d say that overall, Evans has done pretty well.
I have a vague recollection of a survey a year or two back which concluded that an average of less than half of signings could be deemed successful.