Good Morning Thread | Page 107 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

When I lived in Southend I used to drink at the Peter Boat in Leigh on Sea which was also next to the cockle sheds...could often see technicolour painting on the street....the barmaids were nothing special but they did have a barman who was a double for Eric Morecombe....that was in my light and bitter days...Watneys Red Barrell..the light ale was essential to disguise the taste of the Watneys.

Yep been in The Peter Boat a few times. It was a bit pusher than the Billet which was right next to the railway line. When a train went past the whole place shook, maybe that was the secret for the beer, it got agitated in the barrels.

My Billet and Peter Boat days were early 80s.
Mine were the late 60’s...just out of interest I googled the Peter Boat...I wouldn’t recognise it now..in fact the whole road along there is littered with restaurants now which never existed in my time....it was all cockle sheds, marine engineer shop and the Leigh Yatch Club just up the road and I guess the Crooked Billet which I never knew was there til you mentioned it Nick....

When I lived in Southend I used to drink at the Peter Boat in Leigh on Sea which was also next to the cockle sheds...could often see technicolour painting on the street....the barmaids were nothing special but they did have a barman who was a double for Eric Morecombe....that was in my light and bitter days...Watneys Red Barrell..the light ale was essential to disguise the taste of the Watneys.
The Peter Boat is one of my favourite ever pubs , just along from the Crooked Billet . Opposite the Cockle Sheds . What memories that brings back .,I think the Peter Boat was the first pub on the left as you went into Leigh .

In search of a light and bitter , when I had moved to Fareham , we found ourselves playing a dart match at the Roebuck Inn just outside Wickham . They served a bitter called HSB . I’ll have some of that ,I said . I will show you how a Londoner can drink . Three pints later I was carried out and put in someone’s car , blotto . Next time I went back there I said it must have been a bad pint that knocked me out . I will have more of that HSB . Don’t remember anything of that night either . These sort of nights always back up my theory that if you ever get totally lost and can’t find your way home then get pissed . You will always wake up in your own bed !!!!!

Anyway , getting back to the HSB , I found out later it is short for Hampshire (or Horndean) Special Brew and is about 49% proof . Knocked me bandy .Twice . Never been near it again !

The Peter Boat is one of my favourite ever pubs , just along from the Crooked Billet . Opposite the Cockle Sheds . What memories that brings back .,I think the Peter Boat was the first pub on the left as you went into Leigh .

Crooked Billet first on the left next to railway, Peter Boat is shore side across the road a couple hundred yards up. The Billet was very old and traditional, basic, no frills. In the 80s, the Peter Boat was drayloned up.A bit fancy. The Billet had wood pillars from floor to ceiling with round shelves going around them to rest your pint on while standing.

Crooked Billet first on the left next to railway, Peter Boat is shore side across the road a couple hundred yards up. The Billet was very old and traditional, basic, no frills. In the 80s, the Peter Boat was drayloned up.A bit fancy. The Billet had wood pillars from floor to ceiling with round shelves going around them to rest your pint on while standing.
Thanks Nick . Great pubs . What was the third pub along that road?
my sister lives not far from there and we used to go there a lot in the late seventies .,

Morning all,

so Boris thinks that the second wave maybe on its way. let's hope he's wrong, what isn't in dispute is the rise in new infections across Europe, as it now is here.

A doctor friend told me yesterday that this time around he thought they'd be less deaths but more long term damage done. He likened it to trying to fight the black death with Holy water - I thought it was a bit dramatic, but he is terrified of facing it yet again.

So, stay safe, avoid contact, keep your masks on, clean you hands and hopefully, you and yours will get through - if it is the dreaded second wave that is.

Thanks Nick . Great pubs . What was the third pub along that road?
my sister lives not far from there and we used to go there a lot in the late seventies .,
It’s interesting in that I know it was a very long time ago but when I was going to the Peter Boat the only way we ever went into the street was from the railway bridge end and the Peter Boat was the first ( and only I thought) pub on the right...effectively up against the sea inlet...in those days I thought it was a no through road and the only other place further up the road that I knew about was the Leigh Yatch Club and I only know that because I played a gig there one Friday night...

From what you guys are saying you must have accessed the road from the other end...I guess I was just not very inquisitive or there were changes to the road layout after my time there....as I said, judging by the photos on Google I wouldn’t recognise the place now anyway....still, very good memories for all of us....

Morning all,

so Boris thinks that the second wave maybe on its way. let's hope he's wrong, what isn't in dispute is the rise in new infections across Europe, as it now is here.

A doctor friend told me yesterday that this time around he thought they'd be less deaths but more long term damage done. He likened it to trying to fight the black death with Holy water - I thought it was a bit dramatic, but he is terrified of facing it yet again.

So, stay safe, avoid contact, keep your masks on, clean you hands and hopefully, you and yours will get through - if it is the dreaded second wave that is.
It’s interesting EX....I’m doing my bit to support the economy by having some work done on my house....today I have a company coming to put flooring in my loft...apparently it will be done by one guy...in all 3 different firms are involved....I guess there is risk which to be honest I didn’t even think about but I am now....still, precautions will be taken and we shall see...

Good morning all . Love the conversations about Leigh on Sea , the beach made entirely of cockle shells . Marvellous place . Shame it had to grow up . It’s still the same in my head though .
I was watching the news last night , I don’t normally ever get past the thirty seconds of “headlines” .... thats enough for me , it’s all I need to know , unless there is something really interesting. For some reason last night , I don’t know where my wife had gone , but I sat there and watched it all , what mindless infill they use on every story . On the terrible search search for poor Madeline McCann, they cut to a woman reporter in a field in Hanover who was standing in front of two police vans . She actually said , “ I don’t know what the police are looking for here ,,they haven’t said ! “
“ they are digging at the moment and I’ve seen floodlights being brought in so I can only imagine they will be digging all night “.
Exactly what was the point of sending a reporter , camera crew , sound crew etc to a field in Hanover !
when the news finished , some guy came on and told me what the weather had been doing all day . Why do I need to be told what happened at eight o clock that morning . I was there , I know what happened , I was in it . I was part of it . I’m going back to just listening to the thirty second headlines . No wonder the BBC want to do away with free licensing for me in five years time . They want the money to pay for this crap . The bloke reading the news looked so smart and serious . He doesn’t need to be there ! Makes my blood boil .
This second wave thingy . Why oh why are we surprised . People at airports wearing face masks moaning about going into self isolation. They are actually moaning about it . They are putting every one of us at risk . Again .
money is running the country again . Money experts rather than health experts . Money scientists have taken their place .
you wouldn’t catch me on a roundabout at the moment , let alone a plane.
the weather is lovely again.......... at last .

, Congratulations to Stuart Broad , I’ve followed his career from day one , and his Dads . Shows how old I am .
Harry , if you are having flooring in your loft , are they putting in new insulation between the joists or raising the new boards above the existing insulation? . Just curious as everything changes so fast these days . Just wondering what sort of insulation they use now . I retired early , seven years ago , and I haven’t really kept up with all the new building technology. Hope it all goes well mate .
Hope you are all well , stay safe everyone , play to the whistle , keep out of harms way .

Good morning all . Love the conversations about Leigh on Sea , the beach made entirely of cockle shells . Marvellous place . Shame it had to grow up . It’s still the same in my head though .
I was watching the news last night , I don’t normally ever get past the thirty seconds of “headlines” .... thats enough for me , it’s all I need to know , unless there is something really interesting. For some reason last night , I don’t know where my wife had gone , but I sat there and watched it all , what mindless infill they use on every story . On the terrible search search for poor Madeline McCann, they cut to a woman reporter in a field in Hanover who was standing in front of two police vans . She actually said , “ I don’t know what the police are looking for here ,,they haven’t said ! “
“ they are digging at the moment and I’ve seen floodlights being brought in so I can only imagine they will be digging all night “.
Exactly what was the point of sending a reporter , camera crew , sound crew etc to a field in Hanover !
when the news finished , some guy came on and told me what the weather had been doing all day . Why do I need to be told what happened at eight o clock that morning . I was there , I know what happened , I was in it . I was part of it . I’m going back to just listening to the thirty second headlines . No wonder the BBC want to do away with free licensing for me in five years time . They want the money to pay for this crap . The bloke reading the news looked so smart and serious . He doesn’t need to be there ! Makes my blood boil .
This second wave thingy . Why oh why are we surprised . People at airports wearing face masks moaning about going into self isolation. They are actually moaning about it . They are putting every one of us at risk . Again .
money is running the country again . Money experts rather than health experts . Money scientists have taken their place .
you wouldn’t catch me on a roundabout at the moment , let alone a plane.
the weather is lovely again.......... at last .

, Congratulations to Stuart Broad , I’ve followed his career from day one , and his Dads . Shows how old I am .
Harry , if you are having flooring in your loft , are they putting in new insulation between the joists or raising the new boards above the existing insulation? . Just curious as everything changes so fast these days . Just wondering what sort of insulation they use now . I retired early , seven years ago , and I haven’t really kept up with all the new building technology. Hope it all goes well mate .
Hope you are all well , stay safe everyone , play to the whistle , keep out of harms way .
Hi Walt...I had the government’s free loft insulation upgrade a few years ago which consisted of a couple of guys unrolling coils of fluffy insulation stuff across all the rafters so you can’t see where they are, making it difficult to move about in the loft.....I mentioned that to this company and they said they will install a system which raises the boards above the existing insulation which will be great...the man has arrived complete with mask, and has asked to keep the front door open to ventilate the house while he is working....fortunately it’s nice and sunny this morning up here....I’ll keep you posted when it’s done.

It’s interesting EX....I’m doing my bit to support the economy by having some work done on my house....today I have a company coming to put flooring in my loft...apparently it will be done by one guy...in all 3 different firms are involved....I guess there is risk which to be honest I didn’t even think about but I am now....still, precautions will be taken and we shall see...

I've been having work done too; it probably sounds OTT, but before I let the plumber/electrician/builder into the house they have to have a blood test - then send me a picture of the result (I can tell from the metadata what time/date /where they did it) I did, of course, have to show them how to safely do it and the cleanliness protocols - yes it does sound OTT, but it gives me the assurances that I wanted that whilst it's a risk, it's now a small one, the work will go on for around three weeks and the tests cost me around £600 for 30, but the tests are highly reliable as they're made by a European company and have a specificity of around 98.6%

Added to the cost of the project it's a tiny additional expense but for me but for my daughters, the peace of mind is invaluable.

edit: I should have added, they are all happy to do it as it means they don't have to wear a mask all day as they work.

In search of a light and bitter , when I had moved to Fareham , we found ourselves playing a dart match at the Roebuck Inn just outside Wickham . They served a bitter called HSB . I’ll have some of that ,I said . I will show you how a Londoner can drink . Three pints later I was carried out and put in someone’s car , blotto . Next time I went back there I said it must have been a bad pint that knocked me out . I will have more of that HSB . Don’t remember anything of that night either . These sort of nights always back up my theory that if you ever get totally lost and can’t find your way home then get pissed . You will always wake up in your own bed !!!!!

Anyway , getting back to the HSB , I found out later it is short for Hampshire (or Horndean) Special Brew and is about 49% proof . Knocked me bandy .Twice . Never been near it again !
Oh Walt what a let down lol!, HSB, something else that stuff, I love it, though as you say not a lot of it at any one time, the two H's are correct but there is a third High Speed Bitter.