The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 314 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
To be honest i'd be quite happy being a solid mid table Burnley next year as it would be a third season in a row of progress.
Im happy to wait to become Man City for a few years :throw:
Our owners will either be one or the other, they are unlikely to splash the cash after a few years of turgid growth.

Which is the one thing I did think we'd get with a Dean Smith side, (and for clarity, that isn't knocking or bitching) as that is what many have said he produces. However, fine, early days, maybe that will develop. To be fair, Jack at times breaks quickly, but he also does have a tendency to slow things down quite a bit as well.
One thing I remember, early in the season it was a lot of quick free-kicks and throws, the Spuds game in particular we kept putting them on the back foot whenever Grealish got fouled he'd bounce straight back up and McGinn or he would play a quick free-kick. Then there was one particular match at home, may have been the Dippers, when the referee was doing absolutely nothing about their players standing in front and blocking free-kicks. Instead of dishing out a booking to the offending player he did the opposite and essentially told our players to stop kicking it against them. From that point on, Grealish was staying down instead of hopping back to his feet, and we would slow the re-starts down. @sirdennis will remember which ref it was....

I'd say it's pushing it to describe the likes of Westwood and Lowton as quality solid mid table players tbh - the difference is Burnley have a manager who gets more than the sum of the parts out of his team. I suppose though if we aspire to being the next Burnley there is one obvious move we could make.

As we keep saying though we haven't time to arse around - bit of quality and some pace and power
Please not the next Burnley, if you’ve ever been to Turf moor you’d realise that the players, manager, and stadium all go together as a nice little package.

when you run out at Villa Park with 43000 fans screaming, you know you’re somewhere very special, if the owners don’t want to see the likes of PSG playing here, then get someone that does.

Our owners will either be one or the other, they are unlikely to splash the cash after a few years of turgid growth.

I dont see it as an all or nothing situation, becuse if the do invest big and it fails and we go down then they have lost a hell of a lot more than they paid for the club.

But aside from that, wouldnt FFP stop us from spending big (spending over 120m?)? Because surely a Man City type approach would need more than that each season

Please not the next Burnley, if you’ve ever been to Turf moor you’d realise that the players, manager, and stadium all go together as a nice little package.

when you run out at Villa Park with 43000 fans screaming, you know you’re somewhere very special, if the owners don’t want to see the likes of PSG playing here, then get someone that does.

Good luck finding someone with enough moeny to buy a football club and invest 100s of millions on playing staff with the risk of losing it all via relegation.

Good luck finding someone with enough moeny to buy a football club and invest 100s of millions on playing staff with the risk of losing it all via relegation.
You mean like our owners, or Man City owners?

When our owners bought the club, I’m sure they had a plan.

1. Promotion was the main objective...tick
2. Don’t get relegated in the first season back...tick
3. Now 3 could be either Get mid-table or get Europe

the next few weeks will give us the answer.

Or...
3. Get Europe within a couple of years.

Yes,lack of pace and physicality. Anwar,Trez, Drinkwater,Jota and Connor. All decent players but how many nice players does a team need?
Ron Saunders had players running up and down the Lickey Hills day in, day out and as such they were able to compete for 90 minutes and beyond. Add fitness to skill and you had a winning formula.
Frank Carrodus and Des Bremner were not the kost skillful players in the world but they did the leg work that allowed our more skillful players to express themselves. Get Hourihane to get in the faces of the opposition for 90 minutes and he will be a great asset to the team. All this requires is lung bursting fitness. I hear that there are not that many people on the Lickey Hills at the moment!!!

Funny I've never had any interest in us getting into the Europa League, I see it as a hindrance, hardly any bugger watches it unless they get to a final> Not sure what all the fuss is about qualifying for it
It’s more financially attractive since it became leagues instead of knockout?
‘on the downside it does mess up our Saturday 3pm, but sky have been doing that for years.

It’s more financially attractive since it became leagues instead of knockout?
‘on the downside it does mess up our Saturday 3pm, but sky have been doing that for years.

Not financially attractive to me at all , I don't want to got to Villa Park on a freezing Thursday night to watch some team I've never heard of play Villa reserves and pay good money

Status
Not open for further replies.