Good Morning Thread | Page 106 | Vital Football

Good Morning Thread

I loved the bit about the Lord Palmerston’s pipes....when I first moved up here there were two main beers, Boddingtons (the real stuff brewed in Manchester before they moved it down South) and Robinson’s....Boddies was always a great smooth bitter and Robinson’s was more fruity in more ways than one....if it wasn’t kept well then the consequences could be dire...

Having two great beers in the area had its problems though with our local cricket club...when we played away if one of the senior players was providing the transport then the chances were that after the game there would be at least 4 stops on the way back in Boddies and Robbies pubs resulting in me arriving home legless with fish and chips and trying to explain to the missus that it wasn’t my fault....of course, that was in the days when traffic was light and it was just becoming obvious that drinking and driving doesn’t mix...wouldn’t do it today.
Harry, you talk of two great beers in your area, that reminded me of a real spit and sawdust Gym locally, sadly closed down now a number of years, best ever in this area, who sponsored our local Rugby team, anyway when playing at home they always brought the away side back with them, and could both side drink! esp when "Curry" was on the house, the owner of the Gym had a special deal with the local booze supplier to deliver/restock the gym on Sunday's, great memories and days.

Have always loved Boddingtons beer.

Harry, you talk of two great beers in your area, that reminded me of a real spit and sawdust Gym locally, sadly closed down now a number of years, best ever in this area, who sponsored our local Rugby team, anyway when playing at home they always brought the away side back with them, and could both side drink! esp when "Curry" was on the house, the owner of the Gym had a special deal with the local booze supplier to deliver/restock the gym on Sunday's, great memories and days.

Boddingtons is for pussies mate. ;)

Boddingtons isn’t the same now they don’t use the Manchester water but it was a real proper British bitter as opposed to Lager which isn’t real beer in my opinion.

I loved them both but eventually preferred Robinson’s....a mate of mine who was a more recent import up here a few years ago took us down to a place that had 40 beers on tap and live music with one guest beer every week...the night we went my mate asked me what I wanted...I had never heard of any of them and was struggling to make a decision when I spotted the guest beer...Robinson’s...so, much to my mate’s disgust I had a few pints of Robbies....I know what I like...

I can imagine that quite few pipes were cleaned out after your Rugby matches Pompey...Curry and bitter...if only Guy Fawkes knew!

Anyone remember Ind Coope Double Diamond.? I used to have a light and bitter at an Ind Coope pub. That would have been my first pints at 16 ish I guess. Double Diamond I think was the light or pale ale. The bitter was Burton Ale, both were ok on their own particularly the Burton, we used to just say....pint of Burton please in our deepest voices.

When I first moved down to Fareham from Walthamstow, back in the early eighties , I only drank Light and Bitter . The bitter had to be poured in first with the amount of bitter being over estimated . The light ale then poured on top . If you knew the person pouring the Pint you could end up with a pint and a quarter .
My first time in a pub down on the coast , I walked in , everyone stopped talking and turned to stare at me as I walked to the bar , just like in the cowboy movies , the front door even had a pair of swing doors just inside them , which were the only doors to go through when the pub was open . I got to the bar , and in my broad east London perfect queens English , said “ lienbier mate “ ....... he looked at me like I was talking Swahili and said “ what”..... I said “ lienbier please mate “.( as everyone knows , H and T don't exist in London) ..... he said “what? “ Probably thinking he was on Beadles About ! ..........
...... I said ,................ sighing ........ “pint of lager please” . And I’ve been on lager ever since !

Anyone remember Ind Coope Double Diamond.? I used to have a light and bitter at an Ind Coope pub. That would have been my first pints at 16 ish I guess. Double Diamond I think was the light or pale ale. The bitter was Burton Ale, both were ok on their own particularly the Burton, we used to just say....pint of Burton please in our deepest voices.
Double Diamond and Draught Long Life , wow . There used to be a pub just past Woodford on the way to Epping that did draught Long Life , the Royal Oak , I think .
Me and my Mum and Dad were in there one night when a bloke with a sawn off shotgun walked in and robbed the place . I took them out for a drink regularly but my Mum lost her enthusiasm for that for a while . Not long though . She was made of stern stuff , my Mum .

When I first moved down to Fareham from Walthamstow, back in the early eighties , I only drank Light and Bitter . The bitter had to be poured in first with the amount of bitter being over estimated . The light ale then poured on top . If you knew the person pouring the Pint you could end up with a pint and a quarter .
My first time in a pub down on the coast , I walked in , everyone stopped talking and turned to stare at me as I walked to the bar , just like in the cowboy movies , the front door even had a pair of swing doors just inside them , which were the only doors to go through when the pub was open . I got to the bar , and in my broad east London perfect queens English , said “ lienbier mate “ ....... he looked at me like I was talking Swahili and said “ what”..... I said “ lienbier please mate “.( as everyone knows , H and T don't exist in London) ..... he said “what? “ Probably thinking he was on Beadles About ! ..........
...... I said ,................ sighing ........ “pint of lager please” . And I’ve been on lager ever since !

It's been so long now, why did we mix it. What was the result ?

I remember also the Inde Coope Brewery in Romford when my dad moved us out of the East End. You could smell the hops for miles!

Remember the advert as well... A double diamond works wonders works wonders...blah blah!

One of the football clubs I played for had a small clubhouse and we had draft McEwans Export .(cheap too!.) ...luvverly stuff..we all got rat arsed after a victory (quite often I might add!!)...and many a time we never ever ended up going out on the town because of it...... Room at the Top, Ilford Palais Lacey lady in Seven Kings to name a few haunts,

I remember also the Inde Coope Brewery in Romford when my dad moved us out of the East End. You could smell the hops for miles!

Remember the advert as well... A double diamond works wonders works wonders...blah blah!

One of the football clubs I played for had a small clubhouse and we had draft McEwans Export .(cheap too!.) ...luvverly stuff..we all got rat arsed after a victory (quite often I might add!!)...and many a time we never ever ended up going out on the town because of it...... Room at the Top, Ilford Palais Lacey lady in Seven Kings to name a few haunts,
McEwans Export and Youngers Tartan, two great draughts of the time. Just loved Flowers Brewmaster and Whitbread Tankard, used to drink as much of that as I served when working a second job in an Enfield pub prior to getting married.

McEwans Export and Youngers Tartan, two great draughts of the time. Just loved Flowers Brewmaster and Whitbread Tankard, used to drink as much of that as I served when working a second job in an Enfield pub prior to getting married.
I loved Whitbread Tankard. Tartan was really good too but very hard to get in my area.

I seem to remember we drank light and Ben (Truman) for a good while.

I then discovered cider and spent a few years on that until it nearly destroyed the lining of my stomach.

I drank lager for a few years after but I can't say it was a drink I ever really fell in love with.

Then in my early 30s I had a pint of Guinness at Shannon Airport and that's been my beer ever since.

I loved Whitbread Tankard. Tartan was really good too but very hard to get in my area.

I then discovered cider and spent a few years on that until it nearly destroyed the lining of my stomach.

I drank lager for a few years after but I can't say it was a drink I ever really fell in love with.

Then in my early 30s I had a pint of Guinness at Shannon Airport and that's been my beer ever since.

I had a spell drinking stout and cider in my early twenties, Mackeson or Guiness mixed with Bulmers. Ouch. Probably why I only drink wine these days,certain things come back to haunt you!

I remember Greene King Abbott Ale was a little too strong for me so I moved on to Greene King IPA. There used to be a pub in Leigh on Sea called The Crooked Billet. The cellar there must have been special, the beer always tasted better and cooler. Just outside were the shellfish sheds. So along with your pint of Burton came a pint of prawns. The barmaid was something special aswell

I remember Greene King Abbott Ale was a little too strong for me so I moved on to Greene King IPA. There used to be a pub in Leigh on Sea called The Crooked Billet. The cellar there must have been special, the beer always tasted better and cooler. Just outside were the shellfish sheds. So along with your pint of Burton came a pint of prawns. The barmaid was something special aswell
When I lived in Southend I used to drink at the Peter Boat in Leigh on Sea which was also next to the cockle sheds...could often see technicolour painting on the street....the barmaids were nothing special but they did have a barman who was a double for Eric Morecombe....that was in my light and bitter days...Watneys Red Barrell..the light ale was essential to disguise the taste of the Watneys.

Ben Truman, the only beer to have a true advert...There Are More Hops in Ben Truman...never a truer word the morning after!