Covid 19 | Page 6 | Vital Football

Covid 19

Having not yet got on to such matters with my sons' homework, I don't know, maybe you're right.

A quick Google shows in 2018, 25,511 people were seriously injured on the roads in Britain. That amounts to about 1 in every 2500 people.

There are an estimated 367,000 new cases of cancer diagnosed in the UK every year. That's about 1 in every 180 people.

There are any number of things out there that can bring our time on this planet to an end. This is just another one of them. My point is simply that sometimes, watching the news and reading the papers, you can get the impression that this virus is absolutely everywhere. It doesn't hurt sometimes to stop and think just how unlikely it is that it's going to affect you, put things into perspective a little. And yes, of course, I know that for those who are (severely) affected by it, and for their families, it's a tragedy, but so is any death, from any cause.

But if you're going to think like that, what's to stop people travelling via France? Or even Italy (a flight from Madrid to Rome is quicker than Madrid to Lanzarote)? After all, if it's OK for Stanley Johnson to travel to Greece via Bulgaria...
Absolutely agree, they're not my thoughts. I was purely trying to reason why they would put in the quarantine for the whole of spain, as i said, the islands have such a low infection rate (lower than ours) that it makes no sense to quarantine people returning from there.
I think you and I have got embroiled in one of those threads where we are both arguing the same point without realising 🤪.
As for the rest of your post, I agree also. Trouble is, it's hard to talk about it in such a rational way without sounding cold to those who have lost loved ones. (of which I am one) I'm all for taking precautions (face coverings, hand sanitiser etc) but also believe we should not let it rule our lives. I believe we have been below the "5 year average" death rate now by some 6%, leading some scientists to believe COVID-19 merely "brought forward" the inevitable for some by a few months, my uncle definitely being one.

Don't worry, Nobby, I know we're on the same page. I was just pointing out that if the government are potentially worried about people attempting to get from mainland Spain to the UK via the islands to avoid quarantine (if the islands are given an exemption), then by that logic they'd also need to quarantine those coming from France, because it's just as easy (well, probably even easier) to cross the border from northern Spain into southern France and get a flight back from there as it is to get over to one of the islands.

Not sure if you'd mentioned about your uncle before, if you had I must've missed it, but sorry to hear that.

Don't worry, Nobby, I know we're on the same page. I was just pointing out that if the government are potentially worried about people attempting to get from mainland Spain to the UK via the islands to avoid quarantine (if the islands are given an exemption), then by that logic they'd also need to quarantine those coming from France, because it's just as easy (well, probably even easier) to cross the border from northern Spain into southern France and get a flight back from there as it is to get over to one of the islands.

Not sure if you'd mentioned about your uncle before, if you had I must've missed it, but sorry to hear that.
Thanks mate, I did mention it in another thread somewhere but there's been so much covid stuff on here it tends to get swallowed up. He was suffering from throat cancer and diabetes so was a prime target. He wasn't expected to see out the year to be honest.

Spanish press quoting the Sun as saying that the quarantine requirements for those returning from the islands will be removed in a week's time.

Spanish press quoting the Sun as saying that the quarantine requirements for those returning from the islands will be removed in a week's time.

"quarantine, don't quarantine, quarantine if you can, but if you can't do quarantine" - reminds me of the "go to work, don't got to work" sketches that came out.

Everything we do is risk based and not really sure how people can compare the COVID risk on the Islands to what's happening on the mainland. Government has a tough job with all this but they really do need to start passing every decision through the common sense filter first.

Local quarantines needed in the same way as local restrictions here. We will just need to accept the risk that some one may have been been through one of the affected areas before the Islands. People travelling to the UK from French Pyrenees and Andorra must be at a higher risk of infection from that part of Spain than those coming from the Canaries or Balearics surely.

Makes sense.......which is unusual for The Sun 😉

To be fair I think the Sun is just reporting it, rather than responsible for actually coming up with the policy! I would ask whether they could really do any worse if they were in charge, but I'm really not sure I want to know the answer to that, or even give any thought to such matters.

Absolute shambles
I totally get the fact that we need to.pritect ourselves from parts of the world where new infections are spiralling but the islands and other parts of Spain are performing better than us (not that we're doing that bad ourselves). What are we protecting ourselves from?
Airlines are really going to struggle now, just as they were starting to see some hope 😕

I wouldn't recommend Brits travelling to Barcelona , where only 25 % of the population are locals and disease is more rife within certain neighbourhoods.

Just the same as I would advise a Spaniard against visiting some parts of Leicester, Blackburn or Luton.

Why should the majority suffer ?

Could not be bothered until now to comment on the latest fiasco, as I think you all can guess the gist of what I would say (yes, one of the constant moaners) and some of you still have faith in them. What a f***** joke :shake:

The government should highly recommend that nobody travels abroad except for essential travel and that nobody should visit the U.K. except for essential reasons.
Then, if you choose to, to have a holiday, you take your chance.
A holiday abroad is not effing essential by any measures.
Pay your money, take your chance but don’t whine about it if it doesn’t work out.
Let’s be honest, when we have our next spike, they won’t think twice about banning U.K. travellers.

You've illustrated my point

I've done nothing of the sort. If you want to say what "nobody is allowed to say", go ahead.

When I say "certain parts of certain regions", I mean just that. Certain parts. To be taken at face value, nothing implied whatsoever. There are any number of reasons why those certain parts have been worse hit. The reason you're implying could be one of those reasons, but I certainly don't believe it's the only one, by any means.

I was talking to my mate in Malta tonight and he’s furious because of the spike there.
They allowed a weekend party rave at a hotel and many have now tested positive and a ward in the main hospital has had to close.
They lifted quarantine for U.K. tourists on the 15 th July.
Looks like it might be on again soon by either them or us.
It’s very risky to book anything at the moment.