Aston Villa Celebrations | Page 2 | Vital Football

Aston Villa Celebrations

They only spent around £60m on signing 8 players (or an average of £7.5m per player with a third of the fees on a single player who had half decent stats in the Belgium leagues. The other two "big" signings for about £10m each were Marvelous** Nakamba and Mbwana Samatta and if your response to these superstars is "who??" then exactly. They both had decent but unremarkable careers in the Belgium leagues before joining.

Aside from Tom Heaton (not a bad signing) the only other player you would have heard of is Kourtney Hause and as well as he played for us in league one, he hardly looked as if he'd be a leading Premier League defender.

Having spent relatively nothing in fees then they did well to stay up using primarily a squad of Championship players that only just scrapped through the playoffs the prior year. So yeah, it was actually a massive achievement by them.

They might have "played like shite for the whole season" but aside from Grealish, they generally lacked any quality. Now they have kept up it'll be interesting to see if the owners back Dean Smith with some money.

** who failed to live up to his name

According to David Jones on sky yesterday Villa were the biggest spenders of the 3 promoted clubs, spending £140m.

I think we should pass on our congratulations to our moderator, "The Fear". He deserves some good news after having to deal with the shite we turn out.

always thought he was a Middlesbrough fan but on closer check of that lion its definitely got some claret in !!!

According to David Jones on sky yesterday Villa were the biggest spenders of the 3 promoted clubs, spending £140m.

Yeah, £144m, only Manchester United spent more...
Villa spent £27m on Tyrone Mings alone, Wesley was about £18m and £17m for Trezaguet! Aswell as a few others!

always thought he was a Middlesbrough fan but on closer check of that lion its definitely got some claret in !!!
Yes, that's what I used to think too. Then he did a post saying he was Villa.

Whenever I hear mention of Villa I think of Andy Lockhead. It was exciting back in 1970 to have a "star" play at he Gills when Villa fell into Div3.

Yes, I also thought he was Middlesbrough! Even when Gills 58 mentioned congratulating him, I thought he meant for the fact Middlesbrough stayed up.

I thought the celebrations were OTT considering Villa had just survived relegation that was all. They celebrated like they had won a trophy.
Well, it is a bit like winning a trophy.

I ask you two questions:

1) is it a bigger achievement to finish 6th in the championship and win the playoffs, or to come 17th in the premiership?

2) do you also see it as OTT when clubs/people celebrate winning the playoffs?

Well, it is a bit like winning a trophy.

I ask you two questions:

1) is it a bigger achievement to finish 6th in the championship and win the playoffs, or to come 17th in the premiership?

2) do you also see it as OTT when clubs/people celebrate winning the playoffs?
No it isn't. The operative word is "win". That's what should be celebrated. Not "not lose".

Yeah, £144m, only Manchester United spent more...
Villa spent £27m on Tyrone Mings alone, Wesley was about £18m and £17m for Trezaguet! Aswell as a few others!

Looks as if Soccerbase is missing a few players off their list :slap: I forgot about Mings as he was obviously at the club the prior season when they got promotion.

Although even by including Mings and Trezaguet in the mix, you are still looking at signings of an average fee of £12m-£15m with most coming from modest leagues with a modest playing record.

Heaton was the only player with proper premier league experience with Mings only playing a handful of games for Bournmouth due to injuries.

No it isn't. The operative word is "win". That's what should be celebrated. Not "not lose".

You are just talking about semantics though.

Would you be happier if gills were to draw against man u / liverpool, or win against Luton?

The team finishing 17th in the prem has done better over the course of a season than any team in the championship. Its a higher league position.

Otherwise, why do we bother with promotion? Why dont we just stay in league 2 and win it every year?

You are just talking about semantics though.

Would you be happier if gills were to draw against man u / liverpool, or win against Luton?

The team finishing 17th in the prem has done better over the course of a season than any team in the championship. Its a higher league position.

Otherwise, why do we bother with promotion? Why dont we just stay in league 2 and win it every year?
WTF are you on about?

Sounds like youd be happier if gills won the kent senior cup but got relegated, than came mid table but won no trophy.
I repeat, WTF are you on about? You're not making any sense whatsoever.

WTF are you on about?

I repeat, WTF are you on about? You're not making any sense whatsoever.
Answer the f questions, and you might start to understand for yourself 'wtf' im on about.

Its quite clear, youre arguing semantics about celebrating winnig vs not losing. But its not comparable to compare winning vs lesser opponents in the championship with not losing against better opponents in the prem.

Ill ask again, which is a higher league position, 17th in the prem, or say 6th in championship (but win playoffs)?

Looks as if Soccerbase is missing a few players off their list :slap: I forgot about Mings as he was obviously at the club the prior season when they got promotion.

Although even by including Mings and Trezaguet in the mix, you are still looking at signings of an average fee of £12m-£15m with most coming from modest leagues with a modest playing record.

Heaton was the only player with proper premier league experience with Mings only playing a handful of games for Bournmouth due to injuries.

Tyrone Mings had an 17 games loan spell and must have done enough to justify a £27m fee!

Look at it another way, they celebrated being the 4th worst team in their league.......just. Performing the way they have (by most accounts) they probably would not have been top 6 in the Championship so that argument doesn't necessarily stand up.
I'm sure we would all have been chuffed had we beaten Forest and stayed in the Championship but, and I'm going to put my tin hat on here, we were punching above our weight in that league, financially at least, so some sort of celebration may have been justified.
I'd be a bit miffed to see the Gills celebrate like they'd won the cup after just scraping survival the year we were awful under Pennock. If I was a player, I'd maybe do a quick clap to the fans then get out, quietly.

Look at it another way, they celebrated being the 4th worst team in their league.......just. Performing the way they have (by most accounts) they probably would not have been top 6 in the Championship so that argument doesn't necessarily stand up.
I'm sure we would all have been chuffed had we beaten Forest and stayed in the Championship but, and I'm going to put my tin hat on here, we were punching above our weight in that league, financially at least, so some sort of celebration may have been justified.
I'd be a bit miffed to see the Gills celebrate like they'd won the cup after just scraping survival the year we were awful under Pennock. If I was a player, I'd maybe do a quick clap to the fans then get out, quietly.
Were they playing worse, or did the better teams in the premiership make it look like they were playing worse?

Its a lot harder in the premiership. Plenty of teams come up looking brilliant in the championship and struggle against a better quality of team week in week out. It doesnt mean they are playing worse than last year, it means the better teams that they are bow plauing against are able to challenge them in ways they werent by the crap in the championship, and likewise, its harder to find holes in opposition defences in the premiership than it is in the championship.

They may be the 4th worst in their league, but their leavue is still higher than the championship. The way the league system is set up, whether you like it or not, is that they still finished off above the team that came 1st in the championship. They are the 17th best team in the country. And the winners of the championship are the 21st best team. That has to be true by the very definition of a tiered league system.

Its quite clear, youre arguing semantics about celebrating winnig vs not losing. But its not comparable to compare winning vs lesser opponents in the championship with not losing against better opponents in the prem.

Ill ask again, which is a higher league position, 17th in the prem, or say 6th in championship (but win playoffs)?
So you think it's OK for them to celebrate being 17th in the premiershit because it's the top division? I know your judgement is impaired but FFS, claiming they are entitled to celebrate finishing above umpteen other teams who aren't even in their division almost takes the biscuit.

Tyrone Mings had an 17 games loan spell and must have done enough to justify a £27m fee!

17 games in the championship where he was a key part of the defence and was known to fit in. Prior to that, he had only played the equivalent of a dozen games in the prior (I think) 4 seasons. He was generally untested as a premier league player prior to this season.

And in the grand scheme of things, £27m is not a huge fee, especially when compared with the £80m Man United signed Maguire for.

They paid a "large" amount for a couple of players and largely supplemented a championship side with a couple of people who'd played in the Premier League and a bunch of people who had hardly set the Belgian and Turkish leagues alight.