Managers Best and Worst signings for Gillingham | Vital Football

Managers Best and Worst signings for Gillingham

chris who

Vital Champions League
One per manager. No short term loans but season long loans are permitted. No former youth development players,So that rules out Jarvis and Bruce for example.They can be free transfers or big money spends.Go back to what manager you are able.No players signed as back up keeper etc.Although you can have a player who was with the club for years and hardly ever played.Best is probably easier to remember for most of us.

So who was Pulis's best and worst signing?
Who was Stimson's best and worst ?
For anyone with longer memories Hayward's best and worst ?
A bit of a test definitely room to debate this one. I will let you get started and put my choices on the thread later.

Pulis

Worst-Franck Rolling
Best -SBT

Taylor

Worst-Christian Lee/Barry Miller
Best- Thommo

Hess

Worst-Gary Wales
Best- Chris Hope

Cooper

Worst-Bullock
Best- Jack man

Jepson

Worst-Kelvin Jack

Stimson

Worst-Thurgood
Best- Simeon Jackson

Allen

Worst- Devante McKain
Best- Adam Barrett

Edit:hope I haven't put a dud to wrong manager.

I’ll nominate Sir Keith’s best signing as Tony Cas for a set of tracksuits.

But you could also argue Terry Cochrane, Dave Shearer, Dave Mehmet, Dean White and many others.

As for his worst, I can’t remember many duds during that time. But for the fact we paid big money and he never really came off I’ll go for Mark Cooper. It was always going to be tough to replace Cas and Shakey.

Pulis

Worst-Franck Rolling
Best -SBT

Taylor

Best- Thommo

Hess

Worst-Gary Wales
Best- Chris Hope

Cooper

Worst-Bullock
Best- Jack man

Jepson

Worst-Kelvin Jack

Stimson

Worst-Thurgood
Best- Simeon Jackson

Allen

Worst- Devante McKain
Best- Adam Barrett

Whilst Thurgood was dogshit you got the feeling he was at least trying, and coming from non league was probably cheap. I’d rate mark magammon as a far worse signing due to the fee and wages we were paying him.

Whilst Thurgood was dogshit you got the feeling he was at least trying, and coming from non league was probably cheap. I’d rate mark magammon as a far worse signing due to the fee and wages we were paying him.

Felt sorry for the non league group that came in! Some of them worked, some didnt! At least they were about hard work, where as the group that were all ready there, most of them were on big money and didnt want to do the training! The podcast Mark Stimson did with the gills fancast he stated that some days the senior pros didnt even bother coming to training!

Felt sorry for the non league group that came in! Some of them worked, some didnt! At least they were about hard work, where as the group that were all ready there, most of them were on big money and didnt want to do the training! The podcast Mark Stimson did with the gills fancast he stated that some days the senior pros didnt even bother coming to training!

Yep I listed to that one. Shocking that some of the "senior pros" didn't want to work hard for the club - that's the minimum you expect right.

I guess that shows just how unprofessional we have been at times.

Yep I listed to that one. Shocking that some of the "senior pros" didn't want to work hard for the club - that's the minimum you expect right.

I guess that shows just how unprofessional we have been at times.

And you get the impression that would never happen under the current management team.

Pulis

Worst-Franck Rolling
Best -SBT

Taylor

Best- Thommo

Hess

Worst-Gary Wales
Best- Chris Hope

Cooper

Worst-Bullock
Best- Jack man

Jepson

Worst-Kelvin Jack

Stimson

Worst-Thurgood
Best- Simeon Jackson

Allen

Worst- Devante McKain
Best- Adam Barrett

Jepson signed Simon King so he’s got to be the best.

Hess also signed worse players than Gary Wales. Especially second time around!

Stimson's worst has to be McCammon
Edinburgh JET
Hess Iwan Roberts or Rod Wallace
Kelvin Jack almost beats all whoever signed him.
Best signings have to be most of Peacock and Pulis signings
Worst by Pulis I never rated Darren Carr at all and sending him on at Wembley left me shaking my head in disbelief.

Evans would say Jones best
Hobson worst as he wasn't needed.i never understood why we never went for a talented young full back then as a ideal alternative to Fuller.

Edinburgh JET
Worst by Pulis I never rated Darren Carr at all and sending him on at Wembley left me shaking my head in disbelief.
Were Roberts and Wallace and Tommy Johnson sick notes?

Who signed Eaves? Was it Lovell or Pennock?

He's got to be up there with most surprising success. Didn't start too well until he got a few goals against Southend. Definitely wasn't a hatrick though 😉
Pennock's I believe or possibly Taylor was given the responsibility. Egan was definitely a Taylor success.

Pulis

Worst-Franck Rolling
Best -SBT

Taylor

Best- Thommo

Hess

Worst-Gary Wales
Best- Chris Hope

Cooper

Worst-Bullock
Best- Jack man

Jepson

Worst-Kelvin Jack

Stimson

Worst-Thurgood
Best- Simeon Jackson

Allen

Worst- Devante McKain
Best- Adam Barrett

I would say that Sir Keiths worst signing was Macowat

Pennock's I believe or possibly Taylor was given the responsibility. Egan was definitely a Taylor success.
I remember Egan's debut away at MK Dons thinking immediately his positional sense and composure on the ball was way too good for us.

I have a lot of respect for him dropping to League One to boost his career and not thinking it was beneath him.

My sister worked for quite a few years with his girlfriend/fiancée/wife until fairly recently who was his childhood sweetheart from Ireland. Unfortunately it was post Gills. By all accounts he's a good guy off the pitch too.

Going back a bit, Freddie Cox, Best signings both Brians Yeo and Gibbs top goal scorers. I can't think of a bad signing he made, but like all managers he must have made some bad ones.
Also two more good signings Harry Barratt got Johnny Simpson for £750 and Len Ashurst signed Ron Hillyard, two of our best keepers.

Last edited:
In a
Edinburgh JET
In all the podcasts and video chats with the ex players they all said how unlucky Darren Carr was against Manchester City! He made two brilliant tackles which could have gone anywhere, that’s football for you! In the situation of 2-0 bringing him on at wembley was absolutely the right thing to do! Asaba was injured, has said himself he wouldnt have played without injections and the fact he never played again for 8 months says everything!

Last edited by a moderator: