your other team(s) behind the gills | Page 2 | Vital Football

your other team(s) behind the gills

I had a fleeting interest in Everton as a kid before i was taken to gills. But no interest now.

My wife is from north london, and we used to live there too so both my kids support arsenal (after gills), so we do go to a few arsenal games. I dont say i particularly follow them though. I suppose i prefer them to do better than spurs, that's about it.

Rather than a 2nd football team, i currently fill my non-gills time with our local rugby club - Thurrock, where both my kids play and i coach in the minis section also.

Carshalton Athletic the first club I remember visiting from an early age. Soft spot for Palace as the local League club. Family connections gave me Dover (father) and Luton (mother). Side tracked by JoGills in 1968 to supporting GFC and have stuck with them for over 50 years. Watched Carmarthen Town for years as my local club. On the point of choosing an Aussie club off the Pools, the name Mooroolbark comes to mind.

I usually just look out for other teams to mock mates. Had some nice fun with Millwall mates this week :-)

I usually just look out for other teams to mock mates. Had some nice fun with Millwall mates this week :-)
Haha yea. One of my best mates supports spurs and gets really irate when they lose, and arrogant when they do well, so i do tend to support any team they are playing against.

Probably explains why i dont have more mates 🤣🤣🤣

Last edited:
When I was a youngster I would go to Gravesend and Northfleet if Gillingham were playing away, they would open the gate at half-time and let people in for free.
As I got older I still continued to go if Gillingham were away and I couldn't travel.

Alphabet-king: got to be done. Just love it when you meet someone who can never see anything wrong with any of their players. Had a really good mate (unfortunately now brown bread) who supported Spurs, he would honestly say their players were the best in the league (if not the world). As for Arsenal they have never had a good player, and if one of theirs transferred across they automatically were a sell out merchant who suddenly became shit. Winding him up was priceless (he's still missed).

Supported Arsenal as a kid before moving to Kent so follow their results still. Don't 'support' but follow the results/progress of Real Sociedad, Real Zaragoza and B.Dortmund for various reasons.

My sister took me to White Hart Lane for my first league game, which was wildly exciting but I never felt a part of it despite going a few times on my own. I still treasure having seen Jimmy Greaves play a number of times. I sort of took up Dartford at about 13/14 because I could cyle there from my home in Longfield on my old Humber 3 speed. The old Watling Street ground was good fun though it took me a while to work out where everyone went at half time... the club under the main stand.

I stumbled across Priestfield when walking round Gillingham after visiting the cinema one day and decided to go to the next game. Gills 4 Watford 1 and I was hooked. Priestfield was a very welcoming place at that time and one lonely teenager was very happy to find a home.

QPR was my team as a kid. I liked the kit which was a good as reason as any when your 7.

First game I saw was Hartlepool through family - luckily there are no rules that say you have to stick with them.

I don't really have a second team but like going to big European stadiums to watch other teams. This time last year I was off to watch HSV - very exciting although they managed to blow up in the last part of the season (again).

Gills only - growing up most people I knew had the local team plus a First Division team (mine was Spurs - but now minimal interest in the PL).

I do agree about looking out for results of ex Gills.

England would be my second team (competitive matches only).

Alphabet-king: got to be done. Just love it when you meet someone who can never see anything wrong with any of their players. Had a really good mate (unfortunately now brown bread) who supported Spurs, he would honestly say their players were the best in the league (if not the world). As for Arsenal they have never had a good player, and if one of theirs transferred across they automatically were a sell out merchant who suddenly became shit. Winding him up was priceless (he's still missed).
Sounds familiar. Any tackle that goes against them is filthy, but if their player makes a bad challenge "well he deserved it, kick his fcking head in too".

I find spurs to have some of the most deluded fans too. A few good years under poch where they didnt even achieve anything and they all got way above their stations thinking they were now in the big time to challenge for the title regularly. they are now back where they belong, and i cant see them getting back to be honest. They also seem to absolutely hate liverpool. I think because liverpool have been their peers for so long in that 4th-8th spot place for the last 25 years. Yet they have now obviously achieved everything spurs could have wished of, but failed.

As I can only get to around a third, or so, of Gills` games I need to have a second team for my live footy. Right now I`m trying to figure out who will be my "second team" for the next season. I`ve watched AFC Fylde quite a lot over the past couple of years but they`ve been relegated and i`m looking to jump ship. I think I may well end up watching Blackburn Rovers as my second team next season.

Can a fan of a lower league team be a glory hunter? Maybe a subject for a different thread.

Haha, I suppose they could. They were certainly a winning team until last season, something like 7 or 8 consecutive promotions. Other teams would come to Fylde and sing songs to the effect that Fylde were just a heavily financed pub team - they might have had a point !

As I can only get to around a third, or so, of Gills` games I need to have a second team for my live footy. Right now I`m trying to figure out who will be my "second team" for the next season. I`ve watched AFC Fylde quite a lot over the past couple of years but they`ve been relegated and i`m looking to jump ship. I think I may well end up watching Blackburn Rovers as my second team next season.

If you want to witness attacking football this coming season you should take a gander to the holiday resort on your doorstep, with a new head coach I am expecting to see (well hopefully subject to the virus) some entertaining stuff.

If you want to witness attacking football this coming season you should take a gander to the holiday resort on your doorstep, with a new head coach I am expecting to see (well hopefully subject to the virus) some entertaining stuff.

I hope so , if only for their long suffering fans.

As for having a second team , I'm with Suffolk on this one , Gills and England are the only teams I have any passion for.

Haha, I suppose they could. They were certainly a winning team until last season, something like 7 or 8 consecutive promotions. Other teams would come to Fylde and sing songs to the effect that Fylde were just a heavily financed pub team - they might have had a point !
Yes i am of the opinion that you get glory hunters at all levels. I'm not against them so much - clubs need all the money and support they can get, you just have to hope a few of them catch the bug sufficiently that they break the mould and stick around when the inevitable happens, and the club gets to a level it cant so easily succeed at. Watching wins is great, everyone prefers that, but real fans are those who stick around when the teams losing.

We earnt a lot of glory hunters back in the championship days. I myself started watching us in 1999 in probably our most successful years ever. But we soon lost the new fans when the novelty of the championship wore off, and we started flirting with relegation, and of course when youre flirting eith relegation theres fewer goals to celebrate and the opposition team make your football look far less appealing. Ive stuck around, and a few others have too, but many haven't.