League One & Two Signings | Page 2 | Vital Football

League One & Two Signings

I thought the large chunk of the academy system was funded by a grant from the Fa/Efl hence when clubs fall our of league 2 they often abandon their youth system after one season when their funding expires?

i may be wrong but I didn’t think the core youth funding came from the club itself. the purpose of Bryan Bull doing all those academy 3 assessments was to determine 5e funding continues?....

I thought the large chunk of the academy system was funded by a grant from the Fa/Efl hence when clubs fall our of league 2 they often abandon their youth system after one season when their funding expires?

i may be wrong but I didn’t think the core youth funding came from the club itself. the purpose of Bryan Bull doing all those academy 3 assessments was to determine 5e funding continues?....

I believe that you are correct that a big chunk of finance for Academies is provided by central funding, but clubs still have to find large amounts of cash themselves in order to keep the programs afloat. Clubs with Academies will save money if they close the academy. The various categories of academy determine how wide a club can cast its net when looking to sign youngsters. Only Cat 1 clubs can sign anyone from anywhere. Not sure what category GFC is but most if not all Prem clubs will be Cat 1. Don`t have to be in the Prem to be a Cat 1, eg Blackburn Rovers are cat 1.
Unless, you`re a Premiership outfit there needs to be a decent business case to sustain an academy. The Premiership throw money around like confetti when it comes to signing up kids, and i`m talking loads of cash for young lads around 10 and under !

Academy funding does come from EFL and clubs coming up from the National League to League 2 get £1m for their academy which is why it is such a big deal to get into the Football League!

Just read Portsmouth have revealed their squad numbers for next season. They have twenty players listed already.I have the feeling the season to come will be a very variable playing field.

Last edited:
Just read Portsmouth have revealed their squad numbers for next season. They have twenty players listed already.I have the feeling the season to come will be a very variable playing field.
I mentioned in another thread that apparently 11 or 12 L1 teams are yet to make a signing, like us.

And there are a lot of L1 clubs out there with very few players at present. Yes, it will be a little uneven and some clubs already have big squads. But there are plenty out there doing exactly the same as us, and that includes some of the bigger clubs too. We are definitely not alone.

Also makes you wonder, if Pompey have 20 players already on the books, how many ££ are they losing each week before crowds come back?

I mentioned in another thread that apparently 11 or 12 L1 teams are yet to make a signing, like us.

And there are a lot of L1 clubs out there with very few players at present. Yes, it will be a little uneven and some clubs already have big squads. But there are plenty out there doing exactly the same as us, and that includes some of the bigger clubs too. We are definitely not alone.

Also makes you wonder, if Pompey have 20 players already on the books, how many ££ are they losing each week before crowds come back?
According to the site posted by the OP there are 10 other clubs who haven't made a signing.

http://d3d4football.com/league-one-two-transfers/

Reports, otherwise known as "Gas Leaks", suggest that ex-Gill Dominic Samuel will be joining up with ex-Gill Max Ehmer at Bristol Rovers. Samuel was released by Blackburn Rovers recently.

Sean Raggett, who many fans wanted Gills to sign, has instead joined Pompey on a 2 year deal.

Sean Raggett, who many fans wanted Gills to sign, has instead joined Pompey on a 2 year deal.

Not sure we could ever compete with pompey financially. There will be others. Raggett would have the gap left by max though. Never mind.

Just read on twitter that Oxford have had a £150k offer for Sean Clare accepted by Hearts. Wow. Transfer money in the current climate.

I assume that’s our ex Sean Clare? Or is it one of the other 3 Sean Clares? 😉

It is the Sean Clare who played for Gillingham on loan!