Gardening thread | Page 7 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

I *think* completing and moving house was an exception.

Our problem was that our buyer dropped out. On completion day.
Did they give you a reason for dropping out?
This could be another thread - what excuse were you given for a house buyer dropping out?

I'll start. In the late 1980s a couple whose parents owned a scrap metal business were buying our house but at the last minute gave backword, because after measuring up, they said the fish tank wouldn't fit in the recess beside the chimney breast.

We nicknamed them the 'Pinners' after Vince Pinner in the BBC comedy Just Good Friends.

Our younger readers will have to google 'chimney breast'.

Did they give you a reason for dropping out?
This could be another thread - what excuse were you given for a house buyer dropping out?

I'll start. In the late 1980s a couple whose parents owned a scrap metal business were buying our house but at the last minute gave backword, because after measuring up, they said the fish tank wouldn't fit in the recess beside the chimney breast.

We nicknamed them the 'Pinners' after Vince Pinner in the BBC comedy Just Good Friends.

Our younger readers will have to google 'chimney breast'.

Their mortgage offer was withdrawn because of coronavirus. Fair enough, but they must have known that weeks before the completion date and only told us when we pressed them repeatedly to complete (on the date they had chosen!).

Their mortgage offer was withdrawn because of coronavirus. Fair enough, but they must have known that weeks before the completion date and only told us when we pressed them repeatedly to complete (on the date they had chosen!).
Oh dear, that's a bummer.

It is, but we've put it in the hands of a letting agency in Lincoln and basically let them get on with it. they seem to have found us a tenant and that will just about cover the mortgage.
Ah, good. Hope it works out.
After 30 years in our current property we're looking to move within the next couple of years. I hope it goes smoother than our last venture.

Ah, good. Hope it works out.
After 30 years in our current property we're looking to move within the next couple of years. I hope it goes smoother than our last venture.

It's always a ball-ache! Good luck with it. Moving to where?

It's always a ball-ache! Good luck with it. Moving to where?
We're looking at Minster Fields. Probably phase 4. Would love to move to Nettleham but it's a little on the pricey side for us. Anywhere uphill Lincoln so we can watch our Granddaughter grow up.

We're looking at Minster Fields. Probably phase 4. Would love to move to Nettleham but it's a little on the pricey side for us. Anywhere uphill Lincoln so we can watch our Granddaughter grow up.

I bet you can’t wait Riiiiik, and far better access to Sincil Bank too ;)
You’re right about Nettleham, my wife was born there and would love to go back but it is expensive. A good spot at Minster fields, we spent 20yrs in our last house near to there off Wolsey Way. Wragby not on the radar now?

I bet you can’t wait Riiiiik, and far better access to Sincil Bank too ;)
You’re right about Nettleham, my wife was born there and would love to go back but it is expensive. A good spot at Minster fields, we spent 20yrs in our last house near to there off Wolsey Way. Wragby not on the radar now?
We like Wragby. First class butcher is a big draw:-)
but would like somewhere a bit nearer family.
As long as we move near Lincoln I'm good, it's the Mrs who spends all day looking at houses.
Minster Fields is not too far from your gaff though come the BBQ weather. 🤣

I don't necessarily agree. A decent degree in any subject is marketable and will get you onto most post-graduate courses.

How do I know? I've been working in HE for 20 years.

I think in the post-covid and Brexit world the key will be careful re-training.

An example: all - literally all - nursing courses have 100% employability. Most teaching courses are similar.

They may not suit you at all, but there are other decent options.
It's something I will have to look into. Thanks for the advice!

I used to potatoes in pots and found they turned out better than in my then allotment . Gave the allotment up as i spent so much time away in the summer .