Gardening thread | Page 6 | Vital Football

Gardening thread

Stewed, and do some shortbread to have with it (we're likely to be doing that with rhubarb later), plus vanilla ice cream, of course

Another alternative is a cobbler ie similar to crumble but with scone (and vanilla ice cream)
Shortbread isn't a bad idea. I was thinking of making pancakes later so I could perhaps cook them into a sauce for those. Oh the possibilities!

I reckon it is, I could make a fortune! We were seriously talking about starting up something like that since no bugger will even look at my CV at the moment. Hipsters love that stuff. That and beard oil/balm/butter/jam/custard. Maybe that's an option too, using the crap in the garden that isn't much use otherwise :lol:

Tough time to be looking for work, mate. Good luck.

Excellent! As I said to you earlier, mate, we seem to be doing OK with the seasonal stuff, but anything perennial seems to die.

I suspect a fair bit of it just doesn't do well in pots.

Excellent! As I said to you earlier, mate, we seem to be doing OK with the seasonal stuff, but anything perennial seems to die.

I suspect a fair bit of it just doesn't do well in pots.

Need some bigger pots possibly? My partners birthday present of 2 roses from her sister need pots that are 45cm wide and 45cm deep to thrive in

Thanks Notty. I certainly picked a terrible time to try a different career direction. At least Vital Lincoln is benefitting though!

Ach, yes! We tried to sell a house during the 2008 financial crash and more recently just before lock-down this year. Great timing.

I'm guessing, Rob, you have a first degree?

Post-graduate funding is now available, I think, so maybe a re-skill in that area as a holding pattern might work?

I'm guessing, Rob, you have a first degree?

Post-graduate funding is now available, I think, so maybe a re-skill in that area as a holding pattern might work?
I ended up with a 2:1 but it might be worth a look. The most frustrating thing is that I found the perfect opportunity right before lockdown came in, then of course they put it on hold and then cancelled the position altogether. A real bugger.

I ended up with a 2:1 but it might be worth a look. The most frustrating thing is that I found the perfect opportunity right before lockdown came in, then of course they put it on hold and then cancelled the position altogether. A real bugger.

That's horrible. Read about a few cases like that where folks have fallen between the cracks of the government support.

If financially possible you probably wouldn't regret an astutely chosen Masters.

We ended up as accidental land-lords in both cases. Only way to pay the mortgage on a house we'd rather sell.
An unusual solution! But if it works then it's all good. Must have been a nightmare for anyone who got stuck trying to sort out moving when lockdown hit.

That's horrible. Read about a few cases like that where folks have fallen between the cracks of the government support.

If financially possible you probably wouldn't regret an astutely chosen Masters.
I bet there are plenty stuck in such situations. I'm in a lucky position really, just getting started on a new track is proving difficult!

Maybe so. I would have to choose wisely! To be honest I could have done with choosing my degree more carefully in the first place.

An unusual solution! But if it works then it's all good. Must have been a nightmare for anyone who got stuck trying to sort out moving when lockdown hit.

I *think* completing and moving house was an exception.

Our problem was that our buyer dropped out. On completion day.

I bet there are plenty stuck in such situations. I'm in a lucky position really, just getting started on a new track is proving difficult!

Maybe so. I would have to choose wisely! To be honest I could have done with choosing my degree more carefully in the first place.

I don't necessarily agree. A decent degree in any subject is marketable and will get you onto most post-graduate courses.

How do I know? I've been working in HE for 20 years.

I think in the post-covid and Brexit world the key will be careful re-training.

An example: all - literally all - nursing courses have 100% employability. Most teaching courses are similar.

They may not suit you at all, but there are other decent options.