Cricket Thread - England v West Indies | Page 6 | Vital Football

Cricket Thread - England v West Indies

It would be easy to draw simple comparisons between their all rounder attributes including belligerent batting style and catching ability, but for me it is their mental toughness and refuse to lose mindset which seals comparisons.

Just watched him chase to the boundary and do a diving stop off his own bowling
I've only seen that once before in club cricket. We had a bowler who was mullering the opposition and (partly for a laugh) as skipper I kept giving him an extra close fielder after each delivery. He ended up with 5 slips, a gully, silly mid on and leg slip. I got my just desserts when an old boy came in and pushed the ball past the bowler towards the longest boundary at extra cover.
My bowler was none to happy when he eventually dragged the ball back following a 90 yard sprint and the old boy just leaned on his bat having strolled an easy three and said quietly, "Are you gonna stop taking the piss now"?
Lesson learned.

Just watched him chase to the boundary and do a diving stop off his own bowling

I did watch this but really was it the most sensible thing to do ? My understanding he has got an injury and diving like this did not help. It is not that runs mattered in this scenario.
Even if runs were important you have to be mindful of the risk-reward trade off. I always remember the horrific injury suffered by Simon Jones in 2002 in Australia,trying to save 1 run.

Good win, great catch from Ollie Pope to finish it. Roll on Friday.
They do a bit of a disservice showing catches like that in slow motion. In slow-mo you might even wonder why he didn't hold it first time, in real time it is an absolutely superb effort.

I did watch this but really was it the most sensible thing to do ? My understanding he has got an injury and diving like this did not help. It is not that runs mattered in this scenario.
Even if runs were important you have to be mindful of the risk-reward trade off. I always remember the horrific injury suffered by Simon Jones in 2002 in Australia,trying to save 1 run.

All true. But I think Stokes is a bit 100% ;)

I think Stokes is a better batsman than Botham, in the way he builds an innings but can also cut loose. Don’t think he will ever match Botham as one of our all time leading wicket takers or be an opening bowler, not to say he’s not more than useful. Fielding both capable of brilliant slip catches, Stokes more athletic in the outfield.
How you compare them as all-rounders is probably impossible

Watching Cornwall bowling is different. Would love to see him chase to the boundary off his own bowling ala Stokes

131-4. At tea, Cornwall took good one handed catch to get rid of Burns for 57.

Cornwall is the big bloke isn't he?

There was a big chap (CricInfo: "portly") played for the Saffers in the 1960s called Atholl McKinnon . I remember to this day a bit of commentary by John Arlott,

"... and McKinnon flopped like a seal to take the return catch".

The only caught and bowled of an England player by McKinnon was Peter Parfitt at the Oval in 1965, so that must be the occasion that I remember.

Watching Cornwall bowling is different. Would love to see him chase to the boundary off his own bowling ala Stokes

Someone remarked on the radio that Kemar Roche must be unimpressed to be bowling pace at the other end, Cornwall flies through his overs!

Early wickets put West Indies in the ascendancy, but Broad has now hit the 4th fastest 50 in tests for England and momentum has swung back

Sounds good on the radio. Shame it’s not on free view but that’s another story. Will have to watch the highlights later

Not really been following this one. So, England were all out for 369 and West Indies are 137-6 at the close of play on day 2, trailing England by 232 runs.

West Indies all out for 197, with Broad taking 6-31.

England 2-0, leading by 174 runs.