What Next? | Page 2 | Vital Football

What Next?

This is a good conversation but I feel that the authorities are neglecting a big issue.

What if a player comes down with COVID? Does the whole squad need to isolate for 14 days? Do recent opposition teams also need to isolate? With the already congested calendar, just one case of COVID would potentially postpone several matches, possibly at late notice and with unrecoverable sunk costs for the clubs.

Second, what if a spectator gets COVID? Does the club have the infrastructure to contact all those people that might have come in to contact? I suspect not.

This is a good conversation but I feel that the authorities are neglecting a big issue.

What if a player comes down with COVID? Does the whole squad need to isolate for 14 days? Do recent opposition teams also need to isolate? With the already congested calendar, just one case of COVID would potentially postpone several matches, possibly at late notice and with unrecoverable sunk costs for the clubs.

Second, what if a spectator gets COVID? Does the club have the infrastructure to contact all those people that might have come in to contact? I suspect not.
Zurich had a recent outbreak.
https://apnews.com/570ea56074a75da040d6dc777ccd4dea

This was I believe behind closed doors. So the crowd wasn't a problem. But as you say a steward between the players and crowd example gets it ?
For me I find it unlikely we will be able to play 46 games plus cup games in front of a crowd of more than say season ticket holders in the next twelve months.
I can see things ending similar to this season. Only worse with massive variations in games played.Have a second lot of promotion and relegation decisions on a lottery of points per game will leave the game in a right mess.

Zurich had a recent outbreak.
https://apnews.com/570ea56074a75da040d6dc777ccd4dea

This was I believe behind closed doors. So the crowd wasn't a problem. But as you say a steward between the players and crowd example gets it ?
For me I find it unlikely we will be able to play 46 games plus cup games in front of a crowd of more than say season ticket holders in the next twelve months.
I can see things ending similar to this season. Only worse with massive variations in games played.Have a second lot of promotion and relegation decisions on a lottery of points per game will leave the game in a right mess.

The EFL should permanently revise their rules in advance of the season to agree what would happen.

We cannot have a situation where there is an ad hoc consultation to decide on the final league standings.

Its really not that simple though when you think about it in any level of detail. Its easy to make flippant suggestions on social media and claim its easy but they simply dont stand up to scrutiny.

Its worth noting first that 2m means every direction. So actually the maths doesnt work as youve suggested, each person takes up probably about 9 seats.

Then you have to consider getting people in and out of the stadium.

Also, how do you deal with people going to toilet mid game? They will still have to pass by many others very closely in rows. It would actually be far easier if we had terracing as the rows really restrict things, but we dont.

I dont think the concept of above will work though anyway, as households will want to sit next to one another. I wouldnt want to sit 2m from my 6 year old son, for example.

No one would want to go to football and sit miles from ANYONE. So then the 'sit by yourself anywhere' plan just doesnt work.

Next you'll be suggesting we let the oiks of gillingham use their common sense and sit only with their family, or one other household.

Unless we have flexibility then we won't be going back to football stadiums any time soon.

2M won't be workable. The whole going in and out is going to ge an issue where 2M will be impossible. Just like supermarket ailes.

Bottom line is we either take some risks or we keep the fans out and potentially see clubs die.
For people taking kids they can sit next to their parents that shouldn't need pointing out.

Either people are trusted to do the sensible stuff or we give up on fans in stadium until the vaccine is deployed.

Scally said yesterday that it will cost the club £60,000 per home game to stage the games which the club cannot afford. So if that is the case we won’t be voting for the league to restart any time soon.

I'm all for being positive and hope we can get back soon but the difficulties to overcome are great. There is the physical organisation inside the ground to ensure as safe an environment as possible, the organisation of the playing side, the willingness or otherwise of enough fans to attend in new circumstances but most importantly gaining an agreement that satisfies all of our division and the other divisions and parties involved.

Some of the bigger and well funded clubs would be quite happy to play in much reduced circumstances. They would be playing against fatally weakened opposition in many games and could hold out while others floundered. Promotion would be much easier to attain. We and perhaps half the division simply cannot allow ourselves to be pushed into a play and go bust position. Some will be calculating that a game of last man standing would probably result in their elevation to a sort of premiership 2.

The EFL should be making their position clear and indicating that they are prepared to stand up for the smaller clubs. Any amount of sentimental waffle from journalists, commentators and politicians will not change the harsh realities. Lower division football has few real friends when it comes to money and power in the game and our demise would leave the majority unmoved. We need at least a plan to get back, financial assistance if it involves reduced or no crowds and a reform of the penalty system. A definite timetable is of course essential.

Excellent post Jogills.
The other thing to say is that we as fans MUST hold the EFL to account to failing to use their influence to secure more meaningful support - from the likes of the FA, PFA, Premier League etc. They should be busting a gut to avoid seeing club closures shrink their empire from 3 divisions to 2, but I don't see much sign of it.

jogills - I'll offer to stay in the pub (Cricketers) until the crowds entering the ground have go down (honest I don't mind).

PS - It's what I already do, but I'm just good hearted :giggle:

jogills - I'll offer to stay in the pub (Cricketers) until the crowds entering the ground have go down (honest I don't mind).

PS - It's what I already do, but I'm just good hearted :giggle:

If OAPs are prevented from attending then I suggest free beer in Cricketers for all older ST holders, match streamed on TV, all socially distanced of course. Other pubs would of course be available. We might even spread this offer worldwide for a fee/International ST.

Excellent common-sense post.

On a selfish note, I have long wanted general admittance to a particular stand with no allocated seating. Makes it so much simpler to bring last minute guests or at the very least, have a bit of week-to-week variety. Can be difficult to steward in its own right though. As you say, stewarding is going to be a nightmare. How much do those poor souls get paid?

Safety stewards get minimum wage, security stewards get about £1 per hour more.

Leave every other row empty, leave every other seat empty on the in use rows.
you would have no one either side of you, no one directly in front or behind you.
The empty row could be used for those needing the loo, to avoid brushing past people.
this would allow 25% attendance,
That won’t work ...... it’s to sensible 🙄

Thought this post on Gills Facebook group was interesting:
“Average crowd last season was 5,150, we had 2,323 s/t holders, 2,100 had renewed before lockdown, 25% capacity of Priestfield is 2,850 (which is what the club are looking at). Initially best case scenario is 40% in some stadia (4,650 for us), but depends on layout, toilets, how fans can flow etc etc, I think the Medway Stand concourses might be an issue... Not sure how many s/t holders in RE will want to socially distance in the BMS!”

Thought this post on Gills Facebook group was interesting:
“Average crowd last season was 5,150, we had 2,323 s/t holders, 2,100 had renewed before lockdown, 25% capacity of Priestfield is 2,850 (which is what the club are looking at). Initially best case scenario is 40% in some stadia (4,650 for us), but depends on layout, toilets, how fans can flow etc etc, I think the Medway Stand concourses might be an issue... Not sure how many s/t holders in RE will want to socially distance in the BMS!”
Made more difficult if it is pissing down.How to lose more season ticket holders I think.Because who ever gets to sit there will say why me?Even if it was shared over a few games move seats many more will be pissed off especially if we get a wet autumn.

Need to find ways and reasons to start playing and have crowds rather than keep finding ways and reasons not to.

It’s all going well over here so far. No where near as much Covid, but just as many rules, regs and distances to keep apart.

Could change as soon as players or officials get Covid, or borders lock down, but that’s Covid life.

Need to bring staff off Furlough and matchday costs.

Is it actually worth it financially. Would it make more sense to play behind closed doors and save on the running costs. I guess that's the dilemma.

The government is slowly looking to scrap the furlough scheme as more industries are allowed to open. By October, don't be surprised if no one except for maybe a few individuals will be able to claim furlough.

The only area we'd "save" money is by playing behind closed doors and not paying for stewards, but I suspect we'd get more income (or not have to provide refunds) by paying a skeleton crew of staff.

The government is slowly looking to scrap the furlough scheme as more industries are allowed to open. By October, don't be surprised if no one except for maybe a few individuals will be able to claim furlough.

The only area we'd "save" money is by playing behind closed doors and not paying for stewards, but I suspect we'd get more income (or not have to provide refunds) by paying a skeleton crew of staff.

As the furlough scheme ends many businesses will be faced with bringing staff back or redundancies. Gills will also face that question.

I think scally is right that in the lower league we shouldn't start until fans (and income) are allowed again.

I am with Sir Keith though we need to find ways to make it work rather than reasons why we shouldn't. My point is that there might be a level where there are not enough fans allowed for it to be viable.

It's not rocket science ffs.

It's all doable with the right organization and a will to succeed.

IF we want football next season, we just have to accept the new normal.

If it means that you can't hug and kiss your mate when we've just banged in our sixth goal, then so be it.
Surely watching with restrictions is better than nothing.

If it means that you can't hug and kiss your mate when we've just banged in our sixth goal, then so be it.
Surely watching with restrictions is better than nothing.

Nup. If I can’t hug and kiss my mate when the 6th goes in what’s the point?

But that’s exactly my point. Things will be different. You might not have your own seat, or you might be out in the rain or a worse view than normal , or have to queue at distance for the bogs.

But get used to it. It’s no one fault, it’s just how it is in the Covid world.