The Official Dean Smith Thread | Page 292 | Vital Football

The Official Dean Smith Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I blame the Brit Pop generation personally, thinking they could make Britain "great" again

Ha ha totally mixing up your references there. I think you mentioned Brexit the other day, and the American political malaise too, accusing people who have a different view to you as being simplistic populists full of empty statements.

Far from it, those who have no faith or lost faith with Dean have put forward their logic and argument in great detail. You might not like it but there’s more substance being offered than by those who still want to keep Smith.

the very simple answer, without going into a thesis (!) is because we don't hire the right people in the first place.

Last 10 odd managers?

Some ludicrous choices for a supposedly big club.
Indeed, many were ludicrous - but you've previously stated that Houllier was the right calibre - it's the idea that by sacking someone, it'll all suddenly come together. It's Steve Bruce stuff and his "little bit o' magic"

Took Man U years under Fergie
Taken Liverpool years under Klopp
Taken years for the Brentford system to mature
Took Villa years under Saunders

The demise of Aston Villa as a force in English football has taken years. Year after year we got worse and worse until we got relegated and had no-one of real value to sell. That was our low point, this current situation is a considerable improvement on that and we have value in the team, plus a nucleus who may not have been ready for the PL this season but will be more than adequate in the championship and may well be ready for the PL the year after that or indeed, if we stay up this season.

I get it, I really do, people hoped for so much more from the club this season, managed by a fan, captained by a fan and owned by billionaires - why not do a Man City?? It's hopes, it's dreams, it's not fair but it's our reality. Sacking Smith, Purslow, Suso, Terry or any combination of them will not change what happened this season and will not guarantee any improvement for next season. What happened to building a team??

Ha ha totally mixing up your references there. I think you mentioned Brexit the other day, and the American political malaise too, accusing people who have a different view to you as being simplistic populists full of empty statements.

Far from it, those who have no faith or lost faith with Dean have put forward their logic and argument in great detail. You might not like it but there’s more substance being offered than by those who still want to keep Smith.
I'm seriously not accusing anyone on here of simplistic, populist views. It was more a statement of what I see in society in general. I apologise if that is how it read.

Purslow stated: "Judge us on results". I think we can all see that results haven't been great. We just don't have all the information to be able to judge what is broken and how to fix it - the easy option is to sack the coach. Something needs to change, that much is clear, but whatever we do change, we need to get it right this time. So if AVFC line up Poch and his team, I'm with you 100% but there's five or six players I'd like to be shown the door first. I believe your captain should lead, set the standard, so I'm with JF that JG should have been stripped (of the captaincy - edited for clarity :lol:).

I'm seriously not accusing anyone on here of simplistic, populist views. It was more a statement of what I see in society in general. I apologise if that is how it read.

Purslow stated: "Judge us on results". I think we can all see that results haven't been great. We just don't have all the information to be able to judge what is broken and how to fix it - the easy option is to sack the coach. Something needs to change, that much is clear, but whatever we do change, we need to get it right this time. So if AVFC line up Poch and his team, I'm with you 100% but there's five or six players I'd like to be shown the door first. I believe your captain should lead, set the standard, so I'm with JF that JG should have been stripped.

Agree with all that. And what you said about wanting to build long term. The problem is I’m less than convinced about Dean as part of the foundations of that building program.

The JG captaincy issue will solve itself in the near future I imagine...

None of the above mentions the context of us nearly ceasing to exist two years ago and as a hangover of that mismanagement ending up with literally half our squad needing to be replaced when we, totally against expectations, went up to the most difficult league in the world. Half our squad.

Every transfer is a gamble and the more money you can spend on each player the better the odds. Per player, we've not actually dropped huge bucks on many players, so with that many signings for that much dosh the risk was always high. That so many started so poorly is disappointing but again goes back to having so many new players to try and bed in. Our midfield is the only thing remotely recognisable from last year.

Our main striker started poorly and the others aren't worth the name. Our 2 DMs have probably directly and indirectly cost us more points than anything this season (almost irritating to see how good Luiz is already now and no doubt will become). Our CBs tend to be excellent for 89 mins and then commit suicide at the worst possible time.

There is of course genuine criticism for Deano as well but in light of the above I don't know how anyone can reasonably judge him for this season.

Agree with all that. And what you said about wanting to build long term. The problem is I’m less than convinced about Dean as part of the foundations of that building program.

The JG captaincy issue will solve itself in the near future I imagine...
Foundations being correct is the key. What we see as fans however, is never a good look at those foundations. We are seeing the end-product and have to draw our own conclusions as to whether it's the foundations that are bad, or is it those producing the end product.
I agree that the Grealish captaincy will probably "solve itself" but I just think that Smith should have acted and solved it with the long-term health of the club in mind. To go online and make a public statement about adhering to the lockdown then immediately contradicting it by not only doing the opposite, but also being in a police-involved incident, is just inexcusable. How, as a teammate do you respect your leader when he contradicts himself so blatantly? Smith and the club seemingly did nothing, and when there's no firm accountability it's the lunatics running the asylum....

Indeed, many were ludicrous - but you've previously stated that Houllier was the right calibre - it's the idea that by sacking someone, it'll all suddenly come together. It's Steve Bruce stuff and his

Yes, but that is exactly my argument my good man, a club this size can attract better, we just don't. Houllier was the right sort of pedigree, just with his health, the wrong appointment (said advisedly and knowingly re health!)

It could be argued then (?) ((not just at / with you this)) that we should have let Bruce continue to build (and actually have some time off to get over his two parents sadly dying so close together) because he steadied a sinking ship and brought in a good few of the players that got us up?

I want to believe, I want a manager who can build, I see nothing at all in Smith and his dour ways, to make me believe he is the man. So do we now wait, and waste more time to see? Has changing manager over and over helped? No, but as said, that is because the appointments have seldom, if at all, been right. Not since the run of Big Ron and Brian Little (best with John Gregory) and because he was a breath of fresh air, John Gregory. The return of Graham Taylor was just sad, shafted by Doug (had a private conversation with Graham who said he knew he shouldn't have come back when - having been promised proper funding) Doug got up from their board meeting and left the list of players Taylor had given him.

The rest, much of a much. MON during Doug time would have wheeled and dealed and done ok, as he did at Leicester but with the money Randy was splashing, we needed a Benitez.

Not going to run through the rest, but an awful lot of appointments it isn't hindsight to say, were crap. I think Smith is yet another and again, that isn't hindsight with me, I said the week before he was appointed, in an interview. I rallied once he came, thought fingers crossed he'll do a Gregory, but........

Hey ho, what will be will be, I hope we scrape survival and then act like a big club. To do that, we get a big manager.

Looking like we could scrape survival - well done the players. Smith is way way out of his depth but deserves a bit of credit should we stay up. Small time appointment - small time finish if we stay up

Last edited:
I still don't get it mate, staying up was the only potential aim this year in reality with so many changes. Relegation was still the more likely, but we had the foundation in place to kick on then.

Staying up, all things considered, is basically a miracle.

I still don't get it mate, staying up was the only potential aim this year in reality with so many changes. Relegation was still the more likely, but we had the foundation in place to kick on then.

Staying up, all things considered, is basically a miracle.
Staying up - Watford imploding

Status
Not open for further replies.