The Owners & CEO Thread | Page 9 | Vital Football

The Owners & CEO Thread

To don't think it's that simple, they both feed into each other. You can of course be a well run club without doing all that well on the pitch but ultimately to maximise the business value you have to deliver well on the pitch right? The value of us as an asset appreciates the better we do, this drives better opportunities for income (prize money, sponsorship etc). So I completely stand by my point here, if Purslow is a key decision maker when it comes to key on the pitch decisions, specifically around the recruitment of a DoF and decisions to retain the manager, then he has been found wanting.

Not as simple as that. There's a high degree of uncertainty about any decisions taken in football. Take Man U. Ole is the first manager since SAF to look like making a go of it. The managers in between have all looked fair bets. They failed. Does the CEO resign? No. It's the same in any club. Spurs aren't exactly hoovering up trophies. Does Levy get the push? No. You need to get consistently wrong decisions to get the push; Levy has a Doug approach to finances, which is presumably what the owner wants. It's the manager who gets paid (a lot) to produce results. If he fails he gets sacked. That's it.

Sacking Bruce and appointing DS was the right decision; he got us up, quicker than expected. Very difficult not to give him a decent chance in the PL. It didn't work out. We get another manager. That's football.

Not as simple as that. There's a high degree of uncertainty about any decisions taken in football. Take Man U. Ole is the first manager since SAF to look like making a go of it. The managers in between have all looked fair bets. They failed. Does the CEO resign? No. It's the same in any club. Spurs aren't exactly hoovering up trophies. Does Levy get the push? No. You need to get consistently wrong decisions to get the push; Levy has a Doug approach to finances, which is presumably what the owner wants. It's the manager who gets paid (a lot) to produce results. If he fails he gets sacked. That's it.

Sacking Bruce and appointing DS was the right decision; he got us up, quicker than expected. Very difficult not to give him a decent chance in the PL. It didn't work out. We get another manager. That's football.
Ultimately you can only judge people on the success of their decisions, this is true in most business, and especially true in football. I personally think Purslow has made some fatal decisions, unless I'm just misunderstanding his role which is possible, but I'm not seeing anyone demonstrate that he hasn't been responsible for bringing Suso in to drive our recruitment and that he didn't have the power to remove Smith when it was clear he wasn't delivering.

I'm not saying Purslow has to go (unless I posted this when drunk the other day, I cannot remember!) but simply suggesting he has made some bad decisions here. It's by no means an easy job but that's why these guys earn the big bucks.

We are lucky we found such great owners

Hope so. Only time will tell.

Randy was perfect when he came, did so much good, bought it for pleasure not for profit (just as ****ing well!) then.......

So yes, really hope so. bright guys, great track record, a lot of money. We can but hope this lot work out well for us.

Last edited:

Randy was perfect when he came, did so much good, bought it for pleasure not for profit (just as ****ing well!) then.......

So yes, really hope so. bright guys, great track record, a lot of money. We can but hope this lot work out well for us.

Well there's 2 of them now, so if one gets bored or divorced and taken to the cleaners, the other owner can buy them out.

I think, very much like our manager and sporting director, both owners are also on a steep learning curve this year. Wes Edens for example has a track record of recent success in the NBA, but he will have learned that success in English football is a very different kettle of fish. The American leagues have far greater control over player acquisitions, including basically who-gets-who in the annual college draft, and there are salary caps. Also, in basketball the coach has far less control on player recruitment, BUT far greater control of the on-court performance (most of the game is a series of orchestrated "plays" that the coach controls and sets into place). It's almost like having a game of football with nothing but free-kicks, corners and goal-kicks. So Eden's expectations of Dean Smith will likely have adjusted as he learned the game. You can also win in the NBA with young players and reliance on one or two "star" players surrounded by far-less talented role players (see the Chicago Bulls with Jordan & Pippen or the Lakers with Shaq and Kobe). A football team, by contrast is very reliant on good preparation followed by having to trust that your players will make the right decisions on the field. It is a far more fluid game than most American sports and once those players cross the white line it's up to them. It's why you see managers taking players that they trust from one club to another (think Allardyce with Kevin Nolan or Bruce with Elmo).
The good news in all of this is these owners are clearly intelligent people and I feel they will adjust and tune their approach as they learn....

Just out of interest I looked up Wes Edens current worth. As of June 3rd this year his net worth was $4.62 Billion.
Serious moolah!
I’m scared to check up on the value of Mr. S.

Perfectly summed up JF. Three uses of the word 'hope' in three very short sentences. We've been burnt before and all we have is that same hope we had under Randy. If we go down I worry. There is nothing to base that worry on other than hope. The hope they don't pack it in.

Get what your saying J but I have to disagree on the perfect bit honestly don't think he was ever perfect simply by his administration decisions.The first person he should have sounded out for advice was Steve Stride instead he gave him the boot which for me was the beginning of the end.Fair enough he ploughed the cash in and didn't keep poking his nose in the managers job but his boardroom level decisions were atrocious which ultimately cost us and him.Unfortunately my memory of him will always be tainted even to do the pub up was for me poor advice I had never known it to be a favourite haunt or iconic status I don't think I had ever been in it before.His hiring of Tom Fox was almost laughable the bloke probably knew how to shift a few cheap shirts from Asia for premium prices but CEO he was definitely not.

I agree Gator. For me, any good Randy did at the start has become null and void by the complete and utter cluster we became under him. He was the custodian of the institution and binned us when things were not great elsewhere for him. A luxury us mere mortals cannot afford to do when things get tough. I was I could up sticks and disregard my work when things get tough for me personally. I cannot stand the bloke I’m afraid.

Get what your saying J but I have to disagree on the perfect bit honestly don't think he was ever perfect simply by his administration decisions.The first person he should have sounded out for advice was Steve Stride instead he gave him the boot which for me was the beginning of the end.Fair enough he ploughed the cash in and didn't keep poking his nose in the managers job but his boardroom level decisions were atrocious which ultimately cost us and him.Unfortunately my memory of him will always be tainted even to do the pub up was for me poor advice I had never known it to be a favourite haunt or iconic status I don't think I had ever been in it before.His hiring of Tom Fox was almost laughable the bloke probably knew how to shift a few cheap shirts from Asia for premium prices but CEO he was definitely not.

They kept Steve for the handover period, I agree I'd have kept, but a new broom is so often the way with takeovers and the old regime, they probably thought, were tarnished.

The first CEO was decent with experience, can't recall his name now, but he didn't last too long.

I did say at the start btw mate, I could have, genuinely, done a better job than Tom Fox.

I agree Gator. For me, any good Randy did at the start has become null and void by the complete and utter cluster we became under him. He was the custodian of the institution and binned us when things were not great elsewhere for him. A luxury us mere mortals cannot afford to do when things get tough. I was I could up sticks and disregard my work when things get tough for me personally. I cannot stand the bloke I’m afraid.

Well that was exactly my point. I shall remain hopeful but on the fence with the new guys, having been so disappointed after a great start with Randy.