Has this a thread already? | Page 2 | Vital Football

Has this a thread already?

I think you're missing my point, I'm not saying that black lives or any other colour don't matter. I'm saying it's wrong to say a particular colour matters above any other, I'm also saying that what went on 60+ years ago was not down to any football fan of today or player.

Understand, but clearly there are still footballers and football fans who think it's fair game to abuse players on the basis of their ethnicity

Understand, but clearly there are still footballers and football fans who think it's fair game to abuse players on the basis of their ethnicity

Black Lives Matter has nothing to do with any of that (that is the purview of the highly effective Kick it Out campaign)

Black Lives Matter is specifically about the amount of people of colour killed or physically abused by the police and related authorities. It is a single issue campaign.

Well you could ask Raheem Sterling? Or Marcus Rashford? Or Adie Akenfenwa?

Or they could look at what happened to the likes of Cyrille Regis, Viv Anderson, John Barnes or even at our level CES Pod. Football has now done a massive amount to tackle racism, there are far bigger problems with diving and cheating in the game which they could address themselves.
I have seen racism first hand at Lincoln City on the terraces myself in the past and I'm sure if it was repeated the guilty person would be ejected.
I'm not saying BLM is wrong just that it singles out one colour and certain factions are using it to dredge up the past, times have changed, so has a lot of society.

Or they could look at what happened to the likes of Cyrille Regis, Viv Anderson, John Barnes or even at our level CES Pod. Football has now done a massive amount to tackle racism, there are far bigger problems with diving and cheating in the game which they could address themselves.
I have seen racism first hand at Lincoln City on the terraces myself in the past and I'm sure if it was repeated the guilty person would be ejected.
I'm not saying BLM is wrong just that it singles out one colour and certain factions are using it to dredge up the past, times have changed, so has a lot of society.

BLM has nothing to do with terrace racism...

BLM has nothing to do with terrace racism...

Agreed but I was responding to the previous post directed at me.

I think if I was to sum up my feelings with an analogy, when I go to a church funeral I do not sing hymns or say prayers because I do not believe in God, I do however respect all peoples choice to do so though. If the Sunday League introduced a similar thing to this I would stand respectfully but not kneel down and raise my fist.

*shrug* you're completely free to do as you please...

But that's got nothing to do with the original post or indeed your other point about "I don't understand why it's being done at football matches" or the point "Why isn't it called All Lives Matter"...

I'll also quote a young person of colour on another forum I inhabit from June 8 who spent a good deal of time debating this very subject with another bunch of white people trying to tell her how to protest

Jun 8

What was the statement that showed up here before, years ago… that the worst thing Black Lives Matter did was not add the word too to it. And then the worst thing was having someone kneel and ruin someone’s sport’s fantasy. And then it was terrible because someone’s road got blocked and they couldn’t get their coffee or they were late to work…
Time after time after time sideline coaches just lob don’t, wrong, can’t, won’t… in the direction of this movement. Now we not only have a number demonstrations across this country but also in other countries. And for some reason I am thinking that watching an old man get shoved to ground and getting his head cracked open by militarized cops who have forgotten the entire serve and protect part of their role and just gone full out in beat those fuckers down mode isn’t going to be forgotten because someone gets a little displeased with yesterdays 2 minute conversation in front of a mic.
So instead of telling people what they can’t do and why they shouldn’t do it, if you’re that concerned about it, step up, step in and voice your ideas as a leader instead of joining the same ranks that keep telling people if only they did it different, peacefully, be good… as if black people haven’t tried it all sorts of ways before, as if the attempts, the pleas, the anger, the demands, the legal fights never happened. Because of course they did, and still we had a young woman shot to death in her sleep, a jogger gunned down by racists whom the police refused to even pursue, and a man choked to death by cops in such a short period of time anyway

They are just utterly fed up of people (usually white) telling them how to protest, what to call their movement and how in general they just can't do anything to make their situation better...

Last edited: