Jose is an ex-Spurs manager! | Page 60 | Vital Football

Jose is an ex-Spurs manager!

Having plans is one thing, having players who can implement those plans is another
I agree. Poch's plans worked fine up to a point. He had the players to do that. When he didn't anymore it all turned to shit. But I never saw anything from the bench that changed things under Poch. It was just the same game plan with fresh legs. But I am no expert. The doc will be interesting. I am. Looking forward to it mainly because no actual football has been played!

Rome wasn't built in a day. Love the Ben Davies interview. A great soundbite of what is really going on at the club.

Ultimately, we all know Poch had a good plan A and it was a percentage game. Most of the time it absolutely worked and Poch worked hard developing players on the training ground. The master plan then came unstuck in a few high profile games and then finally the players downed tools on his system altogether. Poch's in-game management was always questioned, especially his subs.

Now that it is evident that the squad isn't as good, it is even more important that we have a coach who can tactically coach these players and manage the in-game piece better. I still feel we have that guy in Jose if he is given a chance.

It also can't be about brand of football after 30 games in charge. That will take time to form again in the club. Hopefully, it will become more enjoyable as Jose works hard to get his systems in place.

Comes back to the same problem over the last 6 years. We still do not have another striker option. So if Kane can be wheeled out he will always play.

It still makes me angry how pathetic the club has handled Kane. Total incompetence. Even the lower league teams have more than one option.

RD, I agree. Just like our dire need for a DM...no pun intended with Dier...we have never brought in a quality back up option for Kane. Like a SERIOUS back up option...I don't count Llorente...

The way Spurs have handled player management over the last couple years is perplexing...we have gaping holes and weaknesses...but have done absolutely nothing to address them...we either don't do shit for a few windows or we bring in MORE depth in already deep positions. FUCKING DUMB in my book, but what do I know...

Mourinho has definitely started talking up Europa qualification over the past week or so. Pity he didn't do it sooner, the motivation and performance levels have gone up in parallel.
Fans are divided on the Europa qualification issue, but there is no doubt that, whether for or against, it has stimulated the interest over the remaining games post lockdown, with Wolves, Sheffield United, Arsenal and ourselves all in the mix until the last day. Crystal Palace, who have had the usual season ensuring that they stay in the Premiership, have nothing to play for, but will have a definite say in the outcome given that they play both Wolves and Spurs in their last two games.
I'm not entirely sure as to the qualification permutations, other than that fifth and sixth places will be definite, plus possibly seventh dependent on the outcome of Cup competitions.
If we miss out by a point or two, which I fear we will, within the Club I'm sure that it will be considered as something of a setback, and Jose no doubt will be launching a full broadside on Pochettino.

Wherever we finish Jose has probably earned another season. Not convinced he is the long term answer for numerous reasons.

But the fact we would be 4th right now if he was in charge from the start of the season shows he has done enough. This is the weakest squad we have had in years.

If he can bring in a RB, DM, ST minimum, of first 11 quality then I might be quietly optimistic for next season.

Wherever we finish Jose has probably earned another season. Not convinced he is the long term answer for numerous reasons.

But the fact we would be 4th right now if he was in charge from the start of the season shows he has done enough. This is the weakest squad we have had in years.

If he can bring in a RB, DM, ST minimum, of first 11 quality then I might be quietly optimistic for next season.
Agree.

Jose had tactics against arse that worked. He said although he picked the same team for toon the tactics were changed, it worked. So are his tactics out of date in today's football, keeping in mind he has young coaches around him ?

This isn't a fact. We had a much easier run in (fixtures wise) than we did start of season so the comparison isn't fair.

It's a bit like people saying we'd have won the CL final if Jose was in charge, might be true but I'm fairly sure we wouldn't have got to it in the first place with him at the helm.

This isn't a fact. We had a much easier run in (fixtures wise) than we did start of season so the comparison isn't fair.

It's a bit like people saying we'd have won the CL final if Jose was in charge, might be true but I'm fairly sure we wouldn't have got to it in the first place with him at the helm.

Jose tends to reward good performances with loyalty. So Moura after his exploits to get us to the final, may have started .

The points count is a fact.

The problem with Stats (facts!) viewed out of context can be easily abused. I accept that the points are what they are, but in the context of whom we won them and against and often how would probably be a more appropriate assessment of our progress.

I'm grateful for the points, but given our run-in, I was hoping for a fight for CL qualification and perhaps that what we should have been doing, we surrendered that fight very tamely imho. But I'd welcome us not being outside Europe for the first time in a decade.

The problem with Stats (facts!) viewed out of context can be easily abused. I accept that the points are what they are, but in the context of whom we won them and against and often how would probably be a more appropriate assessment of our progress.

I'm grateful for the points, but given our run-in, I was hoping for a fight for CL qualification and perhaps that what we should have been doing, we surrendered that fight very tamely imho. But I'd welcome us not being outside Europe for the first time in a decade.
There is context I agree but that is also open to interpretation and opinion whereas, in this case, the numbers are absolute.

For me, when he took over, I had no expectations of top 4 given the abject state of our performances until then, and then later the injuries to our only real goal scorers, it was always going to be very difficult....that’s my perspective but as has been said by many, they think he should have done much better with the squad he had...as I say, it’s about perceived contexts.

There is context I agree but that is also open to interpretation and opinion whereas, in this case, the numbers are absolute.

For me, when he took over, I had no expectations of top 4 given the abject state of our performances until then, and then later the injuries to our only real goal scorers, it was always going to be very difficult....that’s my perspective but as has been said by many, they think he should have done much better with the squad he had...as I say, it’s about perceived contexts.
When Jose took over we were 14th in the table. He took us on a run of 4 wins in the next 5 games which took us to 5th. Had we beaten Chelsea in our next game we would have gone 4th on goal difference over them.

Was top 4 realistic when he joined? Not for me. But in the build up to the Chelsea game I did feel it was realistic. Once Kane and Son were injured in the New Year however I gave up any hope.

When Jose took over we were 14th in the table. He took us on a run of 4 wins in the next 5 games which took us to 5th. Had we beaten Chelsea in our next game we would have gone 4th on goal difference over them.

Was top 4 realistic when he joined? Not for me. But in the build up to the Chelsea game I did feel it was realistic. Once Kane and Son were injured in the New Year however I gave up any hope.

Once we were at that point, I too had given up hope, but I did believe with everyone back for project restart we had a relatively 'easy' set of games and we would be back in it fighting for a Top 4 with what he now had available to him, of course we now know that hasn't happened, but I thought Jose would make more of a fight out of it.

Once we were at that point, I too had given up hope, but I did believe with everyone back for project restart we had a relatively 'easy' set of games and we would be back in it fighting for a Top 4 with what he now had available to him, of course we now know that hasn't happened, but I thought Jose would make more of a fight out of it.
Why though? After the West Ham game you started the 'How many points will we get from the remaining games' thread. At that point we had 45 points. You forecast another 14, so a total of 59. That's 3 off Leicester and Man U's current total.

To have have had a realistic chance we would have had to won at least 7 of the 9 remaining games after project restart, including Man U. That was a really tall order. And not beating Man U effectively put the kibosh on that.