Staying Up Thread 2019/20 | Page 88 | Vital Football

Staying Up Thread 2019/20

I think it's fair to say we are relegated now. What are your thoughts on financial standings next year? There's a lot of talk about this season being a very bad time to get relegated, for obvious reasons - I just don't really understand the possible ramifications of it.

Also there was talk about a championship level wage cap being brought in. I can only see that as a bad idea - along with all other FFP.

Regardless of how keen our owners are, would they have the ability to put any money into the club, or are our hands completely tied?
Maybe we should stop spending big money on rubbish anyway. Fergie built up united from the youth team. Our youth set up leaves a lot to be desired. Fergie also spent big when he had to. We won't be able to do that. Other question is do our owners want to stick around invisibly or sell up. ..

To be fair, it could be argued that Pearson was the one who got them into it in the first place.

But there is a lesson there. When they were promoted he moved to a more cautious approach. Didn't work. Shipped goals and didn't score enough.

Then with relegation staring them in the face he want back to attack. It worked, remarkably well. Think he's a good manager. Would have taken him here in spite of the impression he's always on the verge of strangling someone.
Yes he does have the reputation of being a bit of a nut job, but I think much of that comes from the media who just don't like him because he is too honest with them. The ostrich press-conference was one of my favorites... :clap::clap:

Something about experiencing this before fairly recently and the farce that has been lockdown football means I don't really care as much about going down as I thought I would.
Might hit home more when we're losing at Rotherham and Wycombe next season.

Maybe we should stop spending big money on rubbish anyway. Fergie built up united from the youth team. Our youth set up leaves a lot to be desired. Fergie also spent big when he had to. We won't be able to do that. Other question is do our owners want to stick around invisibly or sell up. ..

I don't think we'd be in a position to do that anymore. Brentford might be an exception to a degree, but if you are in the championship or below, by the time you have built a cohesive team, it's picked apart by the bigger fish, leaving you to start again.

We have money, a lot of it. Spending it wisely if we are allowed to should always be plan A.

I've seen people on here question our owners intentions. They have been quiet and haven't sacked anyone when maybe they should have, but other than that, I've not seen anything to really question their commitment. Am I missing something?

One thing I haven't seen mentioned on here yet is that West Ham and Watford have to play each other next Friday night, so they can't both win.

Of course, for that to be at all relevant we have to make tomorrow and Thursday count.

No, me neither.

So therefore, it's irrelevent......

Before we even think about scoring a goal, we need to shoot.

Before we even think about shooting, we need to supply the ball in challenging positions.

This list could go on for a long time!!!!

My worry now is the team show some fight still go down in embarrassing fashion winning a game and Smith continues in the role with others. Root n branch again but this time we have wealthy owners and 2 more years of parachute payments, maybe?????

I can't recall how the parachute payments work, will look it up one day, unless anyone knows for fact. We don't get the full parachute as we are going straight back down, I am pretty sure of that bit!

I can't recall how the parachute payments work, will look it up one day, unless anyone knows for fact. We don't get the full parachute as we are going straight back down, I am pretty sure of that bit!

We will only get 2 years of parachute payments for going down after 1 season. I assume it’s the usual year 1 & 2 amounts rather than the much lower year 2 & 3 amounts, although I haven’t seen anything definitive on that.

Yes, will have to look it up, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't the major sum, we can but hope!

Why are we going down? It's because we got promoted with a team of elderly players, out of contract players and players on loan. This left us with no choice but to sign a dozen, cross our fingers and hope they gel. That never works. Ever.

Take heed and learn. We need to come back up with a settled squad. A squad in its prime or approaching it. No loans please. Sure, tammy and axel and snoddy etc did wonders but they left holes we can not fill. Any loan has to have an option to buy.

Learn from our mistakes.

Why are we going down? It's because we got promoted with a team of elderly players, out of contract players and players on loan. This left us with no choice but to sign a dozen, cross our fingers and hope they gel. That never works. Ever.

Take heed and learn. We need to come back up with a settled squad. A squad in its prime or approaching it. No loans please. Sure, tammy and axel and snoddy etc did wonders but they left holes we can not fill. Any loan has to have an option to buy.

Learn from our mistakes.
:stupid:

Despite my earlier post, and all the pessimism, it does remains a statistical fact that IF Villa win just 2 of their next 3 games, then on the final day we will be either be just 1 point adrift of either West Ham or Watford, or 2 points adrift of both (if they draw on Friday) PROVIDING they both lose their penultimate games. Watford's is home to Man City. West Ham's is away to Man Utd.

So there is a chance we can still go into the last game with all to play for. I do realise this all sounds like bollards given our recent record, but it really, really, really does mean we still have a match tomorrow which 100% counts. If we can manage that first win, we will be in with a fighting chance!!

If we were in some kind of form, yeah absolutely. But winning two out of three games and then going to West Ham and beating them too with bloody Trezeguet and Neil Taylor? It's not going to happen.

Really appreciated your optimism though.

If we were in some kind of form, yeah absolutely. But winning two out of three games and then going to West Ham and beating them too with bloody Trezeguet and Neil Taylor? It's not going to happen.

Really appreciated your optimism though.

Taylor's been playing quite well. True pro. Ready to step in when needed. Trez has been known to score the odd critical goal for us. They're not the problem.

Taylor's been playing quite well. True pro. Ready to step in when needed. Trez has been known to score the odd critical goal for us. They're not the problem.
I agree, Taylor is a great professional and has tried his best, and Trezeguet will always be to thank for the league cup semi final goal. They were just two glaring examples of the lack of quality in our starting lineup. Could have easily selected most of the rest of the squad either.