The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread | Page 30 | Vital Football

The Summer 2020 Transfer Rumour Thread

Trezeguet won't be here come the end of the season thankfully. He's got good attributes but never seems to put them all together at one time. El Ghazi will be fine in the championship should he stay. Wesley too if we get anyone within 30 yards of him.
I'd be happy enough if Trezeguet left and we replaced him. My ideas were that we wouldn't be able to find any buyers for most of the players after their dreadful seasons. Only players I think would attract interest are Heaton, Mings, McGinn, Grealish obviously, and possibly Douglas Luiz. And we wouldn't want to lose any of them.

Lets just be clear.

Kienan Davis left non-league football 5 years ago.

Since leaving the bright lights of Biggleswade Town, he's scored 4 goals in all competitions. 4 goals... in 5 years....

And yet we seem to be pinning our survival hopes on him, and now also hopes of getting promoted again.

it's just moronic!

Yeah not much of a goalscorer but he's good at drawing defenders in, got decent vision, physically strong with a good first touch and decent passing statistics, I dont know if he will ever be a consistent goalscorer but he does enough to play as a centre forward in a 4-3-3 with goalscoring wingers, Dean's preferred setup.
Deans preferred set up or not he is almost always played on his own up front and in terms of goals it just doesnt work.
Never looks like scoring.
Yes physically strong, but injury prone, and goal scoring wingers we dont have.
Hope he reads this and scores a brace tonight.

Don't forget the free-scoring Ally Samatta.

I actually think Samatta is by far and away our best striker.

Unfortunately that's not really saying much is it?

I think given a run in the team, and if we play like we did against Liverpool (fast counter attack), he'd do ok.

I found that so odd.... finally play fast counter attack and create lots of chances, but leave your best goalscorer on the bench and play a striker suited for long ball which we weren;t playing.

Smith out.

I actually think Samatta is by far and away our best striker.

Unfortunately that's not really saying much is it?

I think given a run in the team, and if we play like we did against Liverpool (fast counter attack), he'd do ok.

I found that so odd.... finally play fast counter attack and create lots of chances, but leave your best goalscorer on the bench and play a striker suited for long ball which we weren;t playing.

Smith out.
It certainly is muddled thinking, the sign of someone who I think knows the game is up.

Yeah not much of a goalscorer but he's good at drawing defenders in, got decent vision, physically strong with a good first touch and decent passing statistics, I dont know if he will ever be a consistent goalscorer but he does enough to play as a centre forward in a 4-3-3 with goalscoring wingers, Dean's preferred setup.

I admire your optimism, so please never take my pessimism realism as a criticism or anything. But he wasn't exactly great before we got him, we have become so small time I think, as a club, that we think this sort of player - a striker who can't score - is acceptable.

It is this thinking, from the top, that has put us to the state we are now seemingly in.

My argument re Davis in the PL was he wasn't good enough in the Championship, so how can he be in the PL? It has sadly been proven right (not claiming genius here, not alone in those thoughts!!) and now we go back down, he has had injuries again (sadly) and then when he has been used, he's not been able to get any/many shots on target let alone an actual goal. So I see no cause for optimism.

I admire your optimism, so please never take my pessimism realism as a criticism or anything. But he wasn't exactly great before we got him, we have become so small time I think, as a club, that we think this sort of player - a striker who can't score - is acceptable.

It is this thinking, from the top, that has put us to the state we are now seemingly in.

My argument re Davis in the PL was he wasn't good enough in the Championship, so how can he be in the PL? It has sadly been proven right (not claiming genius here, not alone in those thoughts!!) and now we go back down, he has had injuries again (sadly) and then when he has been used, he's not been able to get any/many shots on target let alone an actual goal. So I see no cause for optimism.
The realism is that we are relatively small time, back in the championship again next season because our owners put our playing squad in the hands of a Spaniard with no apparent understanding of the standard of player required to play in the EPL.

When you take into account that we are small time and unlikely to attract someone like Abraham or even Mitrovic to this club next season, you look around at options and think, is Davis that bad? Theres been plenty of strikers throughout history who haven't found their goalscoring boots but still provide more than enough to warrant a starting place in a side. Firmino being the most glaring example.

I dont think we need a huge turnover if we go down. If we miraculously stay up we need a whole new squad, but if we go down I think we have players good enough for that level, considering the ease at which they won games against Norwich and lower league sides in the league cup.

Gk: Heaton (c), Steer, youth
Rb: Guilbert, ***new signing***
Cb: Mings (vc), Konsa, Hause, youth
Lb: Targett, ***new signing***
DCM: Douglas, Nakamba, youth
CAM: McGinn, ***new signing***, youth
RW/LW: El Ghazi, Trezeguet, Vassilev, Barry
CF: Wesley, Davis

Basically think we will need to replace Grealish, Elmo and Taylor. Preferably with young british players who will develop over the course of the championship season and be useful in the premier league the following season.

I dont see the point in signing new wingers or strikers because we will only need to replace them again once we get promoted. Forwards are the biggest step in quality between the championship and the premier league in my opinion.

Anyone not listed above can move on. Besides maybe Jota, who could potentially fit into the Grealish role at championship level.

Small time we need to think a lot bigger i would not give this current set up a penny to spend get a new manager get rid of the director of football then we need to spend a lot of money on the best players we can attract to our club.

The realism is that we are relatively small time, back in the championship again next season because our owners put our playing squad in the hands of a Spaniard with no apparent understanding of the standard of player required to play in the EPL.

When you take into account that we are small time and unlikely to attract someone like Abraham or even Mitrovic to this club next season, you look around at options and think, is Davis that bad? Theres been plenty of strikers throughout history who haven't found their goalscoring boots but still provide more than enough to warrant a starting place in a side. Firmino being the most glaring example.

Buy Gayle from Newcastle.

I think Wesley and Davis are better than Gayle.
They definately are not. Gayle has pace, knows where the goal is and scores goals especially at championship level. Wesley will not be with us if we go down, and Davis........ do I really need to spell it out?

Buy Gayle from Newcastle.
I’d take him in the championship but just 23 goals in 5 premier league seasons tells you what level he is at. He certainly isn’t someone to build a team for when we are back in (or hopefully never gone from) the premier league

Gayle only seems to score against us and where to you play the surly ugly runt, that is the problem he's not a wide player and he's too lightweight to play l lone, striker.
Hence him being on the bench most of the time. He's a goal poacher but a real problem to fit into aside, a bit like McCormack even when he could open a gate fitting him into a style of play is difficult, They really don't fit in and McCormack was the highest scorer in the Championship when we signed him.
Both very awkward