So where does this leave us? | Page 6 | Vital Football

So where does this leave us?

One thing is certain the EFL board have shown fuck all leadership over this. Don't see how you can have different methods to conclude the eason in different divisions of the same competition or let clubs with a personal vested interest decide the outcome.

Gutless and no integrity.

The fact that the table was so tight means the league one story is likely to continue into the courts .I can't see how anyone can overturn the judgement but there is a reason to believe that a club or clubs could win a heavy compensation claim.

The fact that the table was so tight means the league one story is likely to continue into the courts .I can't see how anyone can overturn the judgement but there is a reason to believe that a club or clubs could win a heavy compensation claim.

I wonder if any of our legal experts would be able to advise if "the teams voted for how to end the season" would be a valid legal defense. By getting teams to vote, could the EFL claim they weren't the ones making the decision and therefore not liable?

Or if judged liable, any penalties and compensation would be reduced as a result?

If getting clubs to vote themselves is considered a legal defense, then it might explain why the EFL offered no leadership in laying down the law and making a decision.

I wonder if any of our legal experts would be able to advise if "the teams voted for how to end the season" would be a valid legal defense. By getting teams to vote, could the EFL claim they weren't the ones making the decision and therefore not liable?

Or if judged liable, any penalties and compensation would be reduced as a result?

If getting clubs to vote themselves is considered a legal defense, then it might explain why the EFL offered no leadership in laying down the law and making a decision.
I do agree with that .League two was simple by comparison.League one still had many possible outcomes and largely the clubs adversely affected are those with the funds to fight it.

It also throws up the possibility of trouble between fans of the clubs most affected and those whose chairman voted against them.I wonder if we will ever get to hear of the way the vote went?From a peaceful future point of view I definitely hope that we don't.

What might have made sense, but wouldn't have been considered is having a play off competition made up of

4 x teams currently in the play off spots.
2 x teams currently just outside the play off spots who think they could have sneaked in.
2 x teams in the league above currently taking up the last two relegation spots.

And then have a 8 team knock out cup competition where the winner gets promoted. That way everyone complaining they would have got promoted / avoided relegation if the season hadn't ended have the opportunity to get / remain in the higher league.

For the initial round with eight teams then it could be a single match home tie for those already in the play off spots. For the semi final then the EFL can decide if to do a one off match or if it really wants to do two legs.

Rotherham were in poor form and may well have been caught for second, Wycombe were in free fall and were unlikely to make the play offs.
Both have been handed something they hadn’t yet earned.
Tranmere had a fully fit squad for the first time all season and were on a decent run of form. They had a pretty fair chance of staying up and yet have had their league one status taken away from them.
All in all a piss poor decision.
Finish the season or void the season.
It was the only way from the start and nothing happened to change that.
I can certainly see Posh and Tranmere challenging this.

Within the last few days the EFL, under Chairmanship of Rick Parry, held an on-line meeting to discuss dates for starting the next season. According to a National League Chairman, a person involved in the meeting has indicated that next season (2020/1) will commence first week in September 2020 (Sat 5th Sept is the first weekend) and clubs will be permitted to have fans present but subject to a limit of one third of ground capacity.

Within the last few days the EFL, under Chairmanship of Rick Parry, held an on-line meeting to discuss dates for starting the next season. According to a National League Chairman, a person involved in the meeting has indicated that next season (2020/1) will commence first week in September 2020 (Sat 5th Sept is the first weekend) and clubs will be permitted to have fans present but subject to a limit of one third of ground capacity.

We'll have to bus people in to get that many!

For clubs like us, it should be very easy to operate in that way.
As singing is currently off , just sit everyone in the GRS.

Quite a challenge for clubs. Whilst you can visualise the crowd initially sitting and behaving in accord with social distancing, what happens when the home team score? Might be a bit tricky at times for stewards to stop groups from spontaneously gathering and singing when a game winner hits the back of the net?

As far as GFC are concerned, I actually think this will have a bigger impact on fans who regularly go to away games. We punch above our weight with away support, so will we get the necessary extra space?

As far as GFC are concerned, I actually think this will have a bigger impact on fans who regularly go to away games. We punch above our weight with away support, so will we get the necessary extra space?

Interesting point. Perhaps EFL will ban away fans altogether ? Particularly at our level where space allocated to away fans is often disproportionately high and could negatively impact a club`s effort to maximise its 33% of capacity. For example, take Shrewsbury`s 9800 capacity ground, where one complete end of the ground is for away fans - holds appx 2000. We only take around 200 to Shrewsbury so we`d be lowering the gate beneath 33%. They`d be left with 33% of 7800 = 2600, as opposed to 3266 if the home allocation was 33% of the stadium with no away fans. There are other grounds in L1 where we`d only take a few, yet are allocated a whole end etc. Easiest solution might be to just ban away fans for 3 months etc.

PS said today (R/Kent) that there`s an EFL vote next week (29th July) as to whether or not a Salary Cap should be adopted - PS says he thinks it (Salary Cap) will be adopted.

Says also that he expects some (actionable) news from EFL within next week or so that will see some more detail around the date for the start of a new season. Also said that it would cost GFC £60K per game to start a season without fans - something GFC could not afford to do. Also, implied that GFC would not be entering into new player contracts without the club knowing exactly when the season would start - sounds a sensible point of view.

PS said today (R/Kent) that there`s an EFL vote next week (29th July) as to whether or not a Salary Cap should be adopted - PS says he thinks it (Salary Cap) will be adopted.

Says also that he expects some (actionable) news from EFL within next week or so that will see some more detail around the date for the start of a new season. Also said that it would cost GFC £60K per game to start a season without fans - something GFC could not afford to do. Also, implied that GFC would not be entering into new player contracts without the club knowing exactly when the season would start - sounds a sensible point of view.

I agree that no way should the season start with out fans - crazy in the lower leagues.

We can make up the time by ditching the pain pot cup and having no replays in the other cups. Let the season run into June as well if necessary.

Easy to resolve. Just needs the will and leadership.

There’s nothing new there, Evans has been saying the same weekly in his chats to the media team. Until we get a start date we can’t move forward. Other clubs with more stable finances can though, so 2 of them have signed 2 of our players already.

I agree that no way should the season start with out fans - crazy in the lower leagues.

We can make up the time by ditching the pain pot cup and having no replays in the other cups. Let the season run into June as well if necessary.

Easy to resolve. Just needs the will and leadership.

From what PS was saying, and picking up on similar vibes elsewhere, there`s no way that L1 or L2 (or the National League) can start a season without having paying fans inside the ground. The EFL is onboard with that precursor too, they know that a number of clubs will fold without having at least some paying customers inside. Whether that be the 33% of capacity or some other allocation of crowd numbers.