Wigan go into administration | Page 2 | Vital Football

Wigan go into administration

Have they been deducted 12pts as they had 50pts

https://www.footballwebpages.co.uk/championship

The 12 point deduction will be imposed once all fixtures have been played and the final table is known. So what they need to do is to finish 13 points clear of the 3rd bottom team ( 12 dependent upon goal difference) . They would then start next season on minus 12 in the Championship
However should they finish less than 12 points clear of the bottom 3 the deduction is applied to this season thereby relegating them.

EDIT......and in the unlikely event that they finish bottom 3 based on their current points ,being overtaken by clubs below them and finishing in a relegation spot ( and they would pretty much have to lose every game from now to the end for that to happen).....they would start next season with -12 in League 1.

Last edited:
The situation perhaps isn’t as Machiavellian as I thought. Looks like the new owners are just straight up chancers - the money promised hasn’t materialised.

I realise there will be genuine casualties of Covid i.e. clubs going into admin. lest we forget our experience with ITV digital. What I don't want to see is for the floodgates to open and some clubs using it as a convenience to gain a financial advantage if clubs are going to be unpunished.

Points deductions for this rule breach or that rule broken, does my head in. Makes what happens on the field of play much less relevant than it ever was. Perhaps let’s not bother playing matches next season and just decide league tables on who’s broken the most rules. I always feel for the supporters of such clubs who have done nothing but offer there support but then have to watch their club often suffer relegation.
(I know I know, it prevents cheating)

The 12 point deduction will be imposed once all fixtures have been played and the final table is known. So what they need to do is to finish 13 points clear of the 3rd bottom team ( 12 dependent upon goal difference) . They would then start next season on minus 12 in the Championship
However should they finish less than 12 points clear of the bottom 3 the deduction is applied to this season thereby relegating them.

EDIT......and in the unlikely event that they finish bottom 3 based on their current points ,being overtaken by clubs below them and finishing in a relegation spot ( and they would pretty much have to lose every game from now to the end for that to happen).....they would start next season with -12 in League 1.

Hi sedgleyimp
Thanks I didn't know that.

South Yorkshire - Barnsley.
Not just Barnsley, Sheffield Wednesday have not paid players in full this month and are already being investigated by the EFL over the dodgy sale of the ground, 150 pages of chat on that on Owlstalk if you can't sleep.

I realise there will be genuine casualties of Covid i.e. clubs going into admin. lest we forget our experience with ITV digital. What I don't want to see is for the floodgates to open and some clubs using it as a convenience to gain a financial advantage if clubs are going to be unpunished.

Wigan spent 19.4 mil in wages last year and they are cheap compared to the majority
They employs 600 staff part/full time staff so it’s roughly £32k each give or take a quid if paid out equally which of course it isn’t
I read somewhere that Stoke paid out 7mil in agent fees last season
It’s completely eye watering the figures being thrown about in that league
Clubs will fancy a clean slate and a year in L1 to start the circus again

I think interest like that should be scrapped full stop.

Any loans should either be interest free or fall in line with the Bank of England interest rates, otherwise it's an easy way of making money.

I think interest like that should be scrapped full stop.

Any loans should either be interest free or fall in line with the Bank of England interest rates, otherwise it's an easy way of making money.

It staggered me the other day when I saw that the interest on student loans is 5.4%. Whatever our views on the student loans/funding system. that seems an immorally high rate

My ISA currently pays 0.01%.

I've still got a fixed rate until Feb paying over 1%. In the past I was always reluctant to do long term fixed rate investments, in the likelihood that rates would go up (on the basis that financial institutions would ensure it was they, and not I, who would always be the main beneficiary of their plans). I now wish I'd gone for a much longer fixed term two or three years ago!!

Remember the days of 20% pay rises?