Songs Unique to Gills | Vital Football

Songs Unique to Gills

jogills

Vital Football Hero
I got to thinking, are there/were there any songs sung by our fans and no others. When young I was often disappointed to discover that "our" songs, or versions of them, were sung at most London clubs.

I have come up with one, which had a short currency. Do tell if you heard it sung outside Kent.

Sung to the tune of She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes:

You can stick the channel tunnel up your arse (repeated twice)
You can stick the channel tunnel
Stick the channel tunnel
Stick the channel tunnel up your arse
Sideways!

We don't really do songs anymore apart from the very boring "we are the left side.......". In the days of the rainham end terrace almost every player had a song and we seemed to have a whole range.

I wonder why they died out.

I used to think (in my youth) we were the only club that sang “The Last Waltz”. Like it or loathe it, it was “our song”.

Was dismayed to find out Peterboro also claim it. Although I twice went there in the 70’s/80’s and never heard it, nor from their away fans at Priestfield.

Oh well.

I remember at an away game in Bury many moons ago a group of "older" Gills fans singing My old man said Be a Swindon fan , I said F*** off, b*******, you old c***. I can't remember how it went after that and I never heard the song again. Please tell me this is not a figment of my imagination. Also I seem to remember Bobby Gould was sitting at the back of the stand and was pissing himself laughing. Jogills, I think you were there as well.

I remember at an away game in Bury many moons ago a group of "older" Gills fans singing My old man said Be a Swindon fan , I said F*** off, b*******, you old c***. I can't remember how it went after that and I never heard the song again. Please tell me this is not a figment of my imagination. Also I seem to remember Bobby Gould was sitting at the back of the stand and was pissing himself laughing. Jogills, I think you were there as well.

Mate that was definitely a song. And sung by many different fans about their own rivals. I think we aren’t the only club to aim it at Swindon either. Oxford spring to mind.

Does anybody else sing, 'Inbreds and roundabouts' at the swine?!

I got to thinking, are there/were there any songs sung by our fans and no others. When young I was often disappointed to discover that "our" songs, or versions of them, were sung at most London clubs.

I have come up with one, which had a short currency. Do tell if you heard it sung outside Kent.

Sung to the tune of She'll be coming round the mountain when she comes:

You can stick the channel tunnel up your arse (repeated twice)
You can stick the channel tunnel
Stick the channel tunnel
Stick the channel tunnel up your arse
Sideways!

Does anybody remember that East Kent punk band, 'Belinda Carbuncle'? I'm sure they used to have a song that included the lyrics, "Get your English willies out and fuck the channel tunnel...".

Used to enjoy Belinda Carbuncle gigs at the Cardinal's Cap in Canterbury back in the early '90s.

Surely "We all come from the Medway Towns, doo dah" is ours?
Of course there's a terrible backstory waiting to break there. Apologies due from each and every REer from the 70's if we can track and trace them. In fact. I'd better apologize for even bringing this up.

Of course there's a terrible backstory waiting to break there. Apologies due from each and every REer from the 70's if we can track and trace them. In fact. I'd better apologize for even bringing this up.

Of course, forgotten that one. The statue went years ago.

Maybe apologise for not considering fans (and their feelings) from other parts of Kent.
That song should be deleted from history , for not being 'inclusive'
😃

I've just remembered how utterly rubbish we were that afternoon. We also sang We're crap and we know we are, which also tickled Mr Gould. I later learned that the entire squad had been ravaged by flu so perhaps we were a little harsh.

Maybe apologise for not considering fans (and their feelings) from other parts of Kent.
That song should be deleted from history , for not being 'inclusive'
😃

IIRC often that song was often met with a chorus of, "Sheppey boys we are here, shag your women and drink your beer...", from, strangely enough, the Sheppey contingent!

All the Sheppey Boys I know would be incapable of shagging "our" women, due to the amount of beer they drink (hello Sheppey John if you are out there) :p

Whatever happened to chanting the score? 'One-nil, one nil, one nil, one nil add infinity! And then if you got to 2, 3, 4 etc (rare) you used appropriate amount of fingers!

Yes, I remember that one. Admit I used to join in.

The one song that I associate with the Gills and I've never heard sung by any other team is Molly Malone.

Being a real saddo I've sung it to myself on occasion for about 6 decades now.

A true Gills only song.

Still associate 20th Century Fox intro music with the Gills as iirc they walked on to the pitch to that in the 60's. Not heard that anywhere else either.

Blimey I'm on a mega nostalgia trip here. I'm gonna start blubbing at this rate.

Nurse!!