Brazil 1970 | Vital Football

Brazil 1970

Red Wimp

Vital Football Legend
Just watching Pele, Argentina & the Dictators about the 1970 & 1978 World Cups. They just interviewed Rivelino & Jairzinho, they look so old makes me feel ancient

1978 was the first World Cup I watched. Games after 10pm here on a school night felt like a real treat for an 11year old. Really enjoyed the tournament though since certain results have been subject of strong scrutiny ( Argentina-Peru as prime example).

1978 was the first World Cup I watched. Games after 10pm here on a school night felt like a real treat for an 11year old. Really enjoyed the tournament though since certain results have been subject of strong scrutiny ( Argentina-Peru as prime example).
I was actually supporting Scotland for that one (:sorry:) and can vividly remember Archie Gemmell's wonderful goal against the Dutch. I was 15 before England could be arsed to show up for the finals of a major competition :mad:

I was actually supporting Scotland for that one (:sorry:) and can vividly remember Archie Gemmell's wonderful goal against the Dutch. I was 15 before England could be arsed to show up for the finals of a major competition :mad:

No apology needed as I was following Scotland being caught up at a young and naive age by Ally McLeods bluster and remember that goal Gemmell scored vividly. Once they had gone though was hoping the Dutch would prevail due to their tactic of shoot from anywhere, especially Arie Haan who couldn't half hit a football

I'd been in Germany about a year in '70, my German pal and his wife invited me round to watch the England game on telly. I was almost embarrassed as my hosts plied me with beer and scrambled eggs on toast when England went 2 up.
Unfortunately, they beat us 3-2. Ugh!

The programme was about the links to the corrupt leaderships of both countries at the time.
What I’d forgotten was the game where Argentina needed to beat Peru by 4 goals to qualify and they won 6-0 with allegations of bribery