Ehmer to Bristol rovers?.. | Page 2 | Vital Football

Ehmer to Bristol rovers?..

We still won't have a pot to piss in if they are sold but we might just be able to offer ME something worthy of keeping him. At the moment I'm not even sure we have a coke can to piss in let alone a pot.

Keep your eye on this year's club accounts. I have a feeling that a couple a hundred thou will be found from the piss pot to pay a certain "remuneration".

Some things will remain unaffected by Covid.

Keep your eye on this year's club accounts. I have a feeling that a couple a hundred thou will be found from the piss pot to pay a certain "remuneration".

Some things will remain unaffected by Covid.

You need to patient - when will they be released in about 2 years time.

At least the club will have saved money on all those business trips to meet investors.

That's a good idea in principle but the fact is that until Tucker or Ogilvie are sold we probably haven't got a pot to piss in.

Or teams could wait and see if we fold and then sign them for nothing. Don't be surprised if the football authorities have a special clause in the coming season that enables clubs to sign players made redundant outside the normal transfer window.

Bristol Rovers fans seem very pleased with their new signings.
Much praise for Ehmer on their forum.

It's speculation time with knobs on so I'll have my go. Ehmer is almost certainly one of our highest earners. He's 28 and would expect a rise to sign up for at least two years. Evans probably has irons in the fire and has agreed with Scally how many higher earners he can have on board. We'd keep Max if he agreed to the same or less but we know he probably won't and are already allocating his wages. He's been good for us has Max and we'll miss him when he's gone. Top finisher too.

To lose Tucker, Ogilive AND Ehmer would be a real blow. However, I've got faith in Evans sorting out the defence regardless. Evans and Raynor got the defence very well organised from what I could see during the warm ups last season so trust they can do the same even with completly new personnel.

And what's clear is that Evans has got a decent contact book from which he can get players from. At least we've got half a chance of getting some good replacements in.

At a time when nothing that goes on is really that shocking any more, we might be about to calmly sail into a footballing world where radical changes are occurring left right and centre and none of us will be too phased. Bit weird isn`t it.

I can see where Bromley`s coming from in that losing Tucker, Ogilvie and Ehmer would, indeed, be a big blow. Had this happened last May/June we`d probably have been a lot more shocked. There are so many unknowns about the upcoming season, not least, whether the structure of L1 will be as we currently know it.

How many of our current squad might we lose ? Should we be signing new players right now?

Could we replace the trio of centre-backs? Of course we could, but there`s a school of thought that transacting deals right now could be problematic for EFL clubs. Perhaps waiting for the season-start-date, before committing your cash, makes sense when signing or re-signing contracts. Equally, considering the inevitable larger market place, why pay top dollar now when the cost of recruiting a good quality player will surely fall from the end of this month. There will be surely be quality bargains to be had.

If Max has rejected GFC`s offer and can secure a better deal elsewhere, then good for him. If Max leaving suggests that GFC is being cautious about over-committing on contract deals then good for GFC. The EFL still has a long way to go before it can announce how matters will go forward next season. If Mr Scally is not prepared to recruit players now on a "sign and hope" basis, then I fully support him. I mentioned on another thread that Blackpool has apparently (from a reliable source) asked their players to take a 60% pay cut ! Our Chairman might not be popular with everyone but he`s no fool; I certainly trust him to be very mindful of over-committing and acting in the best way to keep the club a going concern.

I suspect that we`ll be seeing a lot of change as we enter this new phase of football economics. I have faith in the current ownership and am looking forward to watching and hopefully being a part of the new way ahead in L1. Sorry about the long post, it`s raining :unsure::computer:

Well done chaps.
I thought you may have missed an opportunity for Scally bashing there but no, you were straight on it.

phew

You might see it as scally bashing but I think its perfectly OK to question why the club still has no policy on refund options. This includes the option not to take a refund but the silence on the subject speaks volumes in my book.

Scally could earn a huge amount of goodwill by stating what his plans are for his remuneration package is during these times of crisis. I'd be happy to forgo my refund to help the club but less happy if he still intends to take the usual amount out of the club. Are we still "in this together" ?

You can look at that as scally bashing if you like.

Comments correct about their debts....£24m cleared, £4m for new training ground at Almondsbury, funds available for new squad and they will get there new ground before too long!

You might see it as scally bashing but I think its perfectly OK to question why the club still has no policy on refund options. This includes the option not to take a refund but the silence on the subject speaks volumes in my book.

Scally could earn a huge amount of goodwill by stating what his plans are for his remuneration package is during these times of crisis. I'd be happy to forgo my refund to help the club but less happy if he still intends to take the usual amount out of the club. Are we still "in this together" ?

You can look at that as scally bashing if you like.
I posted my reply from GFC on here yesterday. When they are ready they will make an announcement via the normal platforms.

This is being reported everywhere it seems other than on here
Why do GFC let players run their contracts down if they are a good asset? Eaves and Holy for example. Ehmer's deal should have been dealt with in January.

He's in the top 10 of league one central defenders IMO.

I posted my reply from GFC on here yesterday. When they are ready they will make an announcement via the normal platforms.

Yep, I saw that. When they are ready. When it suits them, not the customer. I don't understand what the justification for the delay is. The policy should have been ready to go the moment the league voted to curtail the season as that was always a possible outcome.

I genuinely think most people wouldn't ask for a refund, but everyone's personal situation will be different. Some people might need the money.

While the likes of Evans has reached out to the fans regularly throughout this period and made us feel important I don't think the club owner has - that's just my view others may not see it as an issue.

Yep, I saw that. When they are ready. When it suits them, not the customer. I don't understand what the justification for the delay is. The policy should have been ready to go the moment the league voted to curtail the season as that was always a possible outcome.

I'm think you're being a tad unreasonable Mark. Scally has no idea when a new season will start, and whether fans will be allowed in or not. He therefore cannot plan with any confidence. So how can he commit to refunds or other perks when he doesn't know the financial outlook? Where PDPS HAS slipped up is failing to convey this to fans. I've said this before - but I wish he'd heed advice from an experienced comms professional. He'd save himself a lot of grief.

Why do GFC let players run their contracts down if they are a good asset? Eaves and Holy for example. Ehmer's deal should have been dealt with in January.

He's in the top 10 of league one central defenders IMO.

I don't understand this viewpoint.

How do you know we didn't make offers to any of those players? From what I recall we definitely made offers to both Holy and Eaves. The players have the power, not the club, we can make an offer but if the player isn't interested in renewing then off they go.

At a time when nothing that goes on is really that shocking any more, we might be about to calmly sail into a footballing world where radical changes are occurring left right and centre and none of us will be too phased. Bit weird isn`t it.

I can see where Bromley`s coming from in that losing Tucker, Ogilvie and Ehmer would, indeed, be a big blow. Had this happened last May/June we`d probably have been a lot more shocked. There are so many unknowns about the upcoming season, not least, whether the structure of L1 will be as we currently know it.

How many of our current squad might we lose ? Should we be signing new players right now?

Could we replace the trio of centre-backs? Of course we could, but there`s a school of thought that transacting deals right now could be problematic for EFL clubs. Perhaps waiting for the season-start-date, before committing your cash, makes sense when signing or re-signing contracts. Equally, considering the inevitable larger market place, why pay top dollar now when the cost of recruiting a good quality player will surely fall from the end of this month. There will be surely be quality bargains to be had.

If Max has rejected GFC`s offer and can secure a better deal elsewhere, then good for him. If Max leaving suggests that GFC is being cautious about over-committing on contract deals then good for GFC. The EFL still has a long way to go before it can announce how matters will go forward next season. If Mr Scally is not prepared to recruit players now on a "sign and hope" basis, then I fully support him. I mentioned on another thread that Blackpool has apparently (from a reliable source) asked their players to take a 60% pay cut ! Our Chairman might not be popular with everyone but he`s no fool; I certainly trust him to be very mindful of over-committing and acting in the best way to keep the club a going concern.

I suspect that we`ll be seeing a lot of change as we enter this new phase of football economics. I have faith in the current ownership and am looking forward to watching and hopefully being a part of the new way ahead in L1. Sorry about the long post, it`s raining :unsure::computer:

Good post. There will be a few clubs like Bristol Rovers who have cash who will see this as a great opportunity to sign up decent players early on and position themselves as promotion favourites. Most clubs though will have to be clever in the market and I agree that quality bargains will become available. It will be an interesting few months.

Well done chaps.
I thought you may have missed an opportunity for Scally bashing there but no, you were straight on it.

phew

Funny thing is that I expect to see that the next accounts will show that Scally has personally put money back in to the club.

If I recall correctly, Scally took a loan from GFC which would need to be paid back before the next accounts - otherwise he’ll be hit with s455 tax.

When that happens, I wonder whether GBN will be praising Scally for the injection... ...I think not.

Good post. There will be a few clubs like Bristol Rovers who have cash who will see this as a great opportunity to sign up decent players early on and position themselves as promotion favourites. Most clubs though will have to be clever in the market and I agree that quality bargains will become available. It will be an interesting few months.

If money was the criteria than clubs like Man City, Sunderland, Pompey, Sheffield Utd and Ipswich would never end up in the same division as us.
Every year Sheffield were huge favourites but it took them six seasons to get out.
Spending big is no guarantee but I agree, money helps because if a player doesn’t impress, they simply buy more.

I'm think you're being a tad unreasonable Mark. Scally has no idea when a new season will start, and whether fans will be allowed in or not. He therefore cannot plan with any confidence. So how can he commit to refunds or other perks when he doesn't know the financial outlook? Where PDPS HAS slipped up is failing to convey this to fans. I've said this before - but I wish he'd heed advice from an experienced comms professional. He'd save himself a lot of grief.

The lack of communication is my main point. Even provide a timeline of when the policy will be issued. I am seeing lots of communications from our peers in league one.

Remember its last seasons tickets we are talking about not next seasons. I don't actually think the demand for refunds would be that high. Why not post the options, even if the refunds (for those who want them) can't be processed until the new season opens. Although given that we sold season tickets very early this year if that money has been spent and we still don't have the money to refund last year then we aren't in a good place.

The real issue is the lack of communication though.

Funny thing is that I expect to see that the next accounts will show that Scally has personally put money back in to the club.

If I recall correctly, Scally took a loan from GFC which would need to be paid back before the next accounts - otherwise he’ll be hit with s455 tax.

When that happens, I wonder whether GBN will be praising Scally for the injection... ...I think not.

So it won't be an injection at all, just repaying a loan on time?